Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

I remember Sunday 1st July 1990 so well. It doesn't seem like 33 years ago. And Cameroon were giving England hell of it that same evening.

We should never segregate our international team sports' achievements in this country and pitt one against another.

We have so few in any of our lifetimes. Let's enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The claim was 74% of the starting team in 1990 was born in Ireland which was nonsense.

Of the starting 11, 6 born outside of Ireland when I checked. No response since this was pointed out

It will be

This would be an all island achievement and can only help

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You appear to have missed the point.

Brazil may have gotten knocked out by Croatia, but damn sure before the tournament they weren't telling themselves that the quarter finals would be a good achievement. And damn sure after the tournament they weren't telling themselves that they just got unlucky.

They will have went there expecting to win the damn thing.

If the number one side in the world doesn't think they are actually the best team and expect to win then they should **** off back to amateur sport with the rest of the also rans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

"We" are not segregating our sports teams, they are already inherently segregated between the haves and the have-nots.

If you point out that rugby is the reserve of the elites in Ireland, apart from watching the games on television that is, there tends to be a lot of "stop spoiling our fun" in return.

It's typical of that particular entitled, spoiled strata of society. Where they keep everything for themselves, lock the oiks out from any real participation, and if you point that out you're "ruining it for everyone."

There was an article in the Irish Times a few weeks ago where a journalist, who is clearly a fan of rugby, goes to a soccer match and writes about how aghast she was at the uncouth behaviour of the unwashed soccer fan. To wit "this isn’t what real sports fans do."

If a soccer fan went to a rugby match and behaved like how a "real sports fan" does (i.e use industrial language and try to show some passion for the sport), then they would be arrested and paraded around on the 6.01 news for being a hooligan.

On the other hand, rugby fans can impose their own cultural mores on the rest of us without controversy. Typical of the middle-class South County Dublin elites looking down on the rest of us, dictating all the rules, scorning us because we won't genuflect to their golden idols.

If a soccer fan went to a rugby match and behaved like how a "real sports fan" does (i.e use industrial language and try to show some passion for the sport), then they would be arrested and paraded around on the 6.01 news for being a hooligan.

How to tell everyone you have never gone to a rugby watch without telling everyone you have never gone to a rugby match

FYI, you don't need to use "industrial language" to show passion for a sport, any sport. If you think the best fans are the ones who curse the most then you really haven't a clue how to support any sport

Again I refer to the previous advice, I suggest you should do a little research. Start with the AIL and all the locations which have team. You are only showing your ignorance on the topic by mentioning South County Dublin.

You don't seem to understand how sports works, any sport.

Ireland are aiming to win the competition if you talk to the players, fans of course have seen years of hurt and will push back from sayin out that the plan is to win the competition. Secretly in the back of our minds we will want to win it. That's more to do with the Irish mentality than anything else.

As I posted already Ireland have just won a Grand Slam. A extremely difficult competition to win but even more difficult to win without losing a game. Not sure who you are calling "also rans".

We should celebrate Irish sporting achievement, no matter what sport they are in. Not play this tit for tat nonsense.

"Real sports fans" don't curse then? You're remarkably talented at proving other posters' points.

Who said "real sports fans" don't curse?

I just said it's not a cursing competition to show who is more passionate. If you think going to a game and people know you are the most passionate because you spent the entire time cursing you are sadly mistaken. No matter which sport it is.

I have attended lots of different sports, GAA/Soccer/Rugby/Horse Racing/Running etc. So I can speak from experience.

• Advertisement

FYI you complain about an article which claim(it paywalled) brandished all soccer fans as "unwashed" and "hooligan"

Then you put a blanket statement against all rugby fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think anyone will get the adoration Jack got. We're living in different times, more cynical times with haters and contrarians that are just watching for the first slip to attack & cancel.

Ireland is full of rugby hating people, a far larger number than 'transphobic hating racists'😅

The game is being played across society all over the country these days. Just another anachronistic anti rugby rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The residency rule is party of rugby and is used by most teams in the Rugby world cup.

Plenty of other athletes represent Ireland through residence and naturalisation.

On the flip side,how many Irish soccer players have left the country and live and play in the UK? It's alright to be Irish (or even be English but your granny was Irish) and have your life and career outside Ireland, but not ok to live and play in Ireland, and hold Irish residency, but not born here?

Residency rule is not the same as granny rule.

Bundee Aki has played for Connaught since 2014 and qualified under residency rule in 2017. He lives in Galway, has Irish residency, has his kids in school there, and plays for Ireland.

That's residency.

The granny rule is when Irish soccer managers scour ancestry.com to find someone who was born in Britain to 2 British parents and 3 British grandparents, and throw a green jersey at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

FFS, thats the entire point. The Irish mentality, the one that despite being the top ranked side in the world pushes back from saying that the plan is to win.

Where else would you see that? Imagine Usain Bolt going to the Olympics and "pushing back from saying that the plan is to win". Imagine Verstappen going to a race and pushing back from saying the plan is to win. Imagine Djokovic going to Wimbledon and pushing back from saying the plan is to win. You would never hear that, because they are/were the best in the world and bloody well expect to win.

The fact Ireland doesn't have that mentality is what has been holding them back for decades. And don't talk to me about Grand slams as if there isn't a history of Ireland winning 6 nations and then **** the bed when it comes to the real prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I suppose you would count CJ stander as Irish lol. Moved to ireland and after three years was able to play for HIS adopted country played for a few years and fecked off back to his farm in South Africa. A lot of the rugby players are just sport migrants making a few quid here and good luck to them but don't try and tell me they are Irish... same as the a lot of the soccer players years ago who couldn't get a game with their native country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's so much projection in your critique of that opinion piece.

She never mentions rugby once in that article.

The opening half is an account of bringing her son to the recent Ireland v Netherlands game and the issue of people around them effing and blinding in the presence of a child.

I was at that game myself, as it happens, and there was a father there with a young lad, pretty near to me - the only really young kid that was to be seen the section I was in - and, as the game started to not go Ireland's way, people were cursing and roaring. I did wonder whether I'd bring a young kid to this environment.

I presume to even think that - to follow the logic of your argument - makes me a rugby fan? Because those kind of thoughts have marked that journalist as being "clearly" a fan of rugby in your eyes.

I've never been to a rugby match in my life, didn't watch the game at the weekend, and would have happily taken them losing by 50 points, as long as Arsenal beat City the following day.

The second half of the piece is a blanket bemoaning of parents not keeping their emotions in check at the sideline of underage games generally.

CJ Stander, who lived in Ireland with his family for 9 years, played rugby for Munster, I think he was Limerick Person of the Year at one stage.

Retired a few years back and moved back to SA.

Yeah, I would say he's more Irish than the plastic Paddies Ireland soccer managers have been stalking over the past few years.

"but that's not ok with you but its ok to declare for a country because that person has lived here since 2014"

Anybody can become an Irish citizen and get an Irish passport after 5 years of residence.

Athletes have "every right" to play for Ireland under residency rules.

If you think that someone who lives, works and raises a family in Ireland is less Irish than someone who's never been to Ireland, who's parents have never been to Ireland but has a granny from the auld country, then I sincerely disagree with you.

• Advertisement

John Aldridge.

Born in Liverpool, lived in the UK most of his life, played all his club football in the UK apart from a brief stint in Spain.

Parent from UK, three grandparents from UK, one granny from Athlone.

Both he and his mother were eligible for Irish citizenship through the granny, but never bothered.

Never lived in Ireland.

Ireland international for 10 years

I never said he wasn't entitled. He is entitled, just like people qualifying under residency are entitled.

Just said that he was less Irish than someone living here and raising a family.

And your cousin is less Irish than Tham Nguyen who's representing Ireland in weightlifting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What about that New Zealander lad we gave citizenship to a few years ago then he fucked off home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think the "granny rule" vs the residency rule debate is pretty tiresome.

You qualify under maybe a distant relative? Yeah, alright, fair enough.

You qualify because you've lived here for a few years? Yeah, alright, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Much prefer Andy Farrell to Joe Schmidt but he will never achieve the God like status of big Jack no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It has changed to 5 years now. Not going to see many unless they join very young.

Also a huge amount of local talent coming through the provinces.

As for granny rule, grand. Specific example is Kevin kilbane. Probably more Irish than I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree, but all countries do it, NZ, England etc. A bit farcical.

But what has this got to do with the OP's question?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

All Blacks have I think 11 foreign born players , Scotland in the last world had 15 out of 33 in their squad , it’s nothing unusual , dunno if it’s farcical when every nation does it.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 36 -F1-

Yes he should get the same, If not more admiration then Jack.

• Advertisement

Well wealthy rugby countries can scout the best players from smaller countries and poach them for themselves.

It's the kind of resource-stealing the wealthy rugby-playing elites claim is their right. They have all the money; they can do what they like.

Advertisement