Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

There are three posters on this page alone, one with 7 posts, one with 15 and one with 170 (who joined just before the 2014 Israeli attack on Gaza.) I wouldn't bother replying to any of the three, probably Hasbara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

https://x.com/TallyGotliv/status/1711426284322996613?s=20

Israeli MP calling for a nuke.

"Jericho Missile! Jericho Missile! Strategic alert. before considering the introduction of forces. Doomsday weapon! This is my opinion. May God preserve all our strength."

Absolutely - but if left unchecked some people may take their post as fact.

Can you share the original IDF instruction with us so we can translate it ourselves?

That would be a stupid statement for her to make, not least because the fallout from a nuclear strike would itself erase Israel.

Perhaps, though, she is referring to older Jericho ballistic missiles that do not have nuclear warheads.

• Advertisement

• perfect example of the overblown hysteria in this thread and discussion overall.

Get this through your head, I never suggested nor stated that Ukrainians are child murderers.

I said that if you were to go into the Ukraine thread and say something like “well I can see why Russia did (thing)”, you’d be called many names, but children wouldn’t come into the equation.

But if you dream of pointing out that Palestine is wrong in their actions to bomb Israel like they did this weekend you are immediately branded as supporting child murder, war crimes and whatever else.

I’m not making up these replies I’ve gotten, I simply stated that to be outraged you are being targeted after bombing the **** out a country and attacking 300 odd at a dance party is a bit rich.

Somehow that means I support the murder of innocents, but laughably the innocent Israelis are irrelevant it’s only poor Palestine.

Sickening hypocrisy and having words put in your mouth by anyone with an opposing view. Even posters assuming things like whether or not I have kids. Because why? I think the perpetrators of such violence we saw this weekend should face consequences?

Whole discussion is one giant farce anyway. Any mention of Palestine being wrong and you’re immediately shouted down.

sure Israel is no angel here but does that mean Hamas should get away with what they’ve done? As I said yesterday if some crowd from England came across to Dublin and killed 300 people at a rave there wouldn’t be so much pearl clutching and finger pointing & you certainly wouldn’t be worried about the civilians in England.

Suppose it’s easy to sit and act so morally just when you haven’t to deal with your country being bombed. Perhaps if you lived in Israel or indeed had family or friends there you’d have a different tune.

incidentally has anything been heard of about the Irish woman who went missing in Israel after the bombings? I suppose Palestine should continue to attack Israel despite the Irish people living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

For the record I’m not defending anyone- only stating what they’re going to do.

However “clinical wars” where only the guilty and the soldiers die are a myth - all I can say is if I lived in Gaza I’d hope that I would condemn the actions of Hamas over the last few days ; if I were Israeli I would want to feel safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

"Doomsday weapon"

From Sky News : https://news.sky.com/story/israel-gaza-war-latest-hamas-palestine-sky-news-live-blog-12978800#6558219

While the intensity of the bombardment has revived accusations that it is inflicting collective punishment on the two million people of Gaza (see 10.43 post), there are some within the Jewish state who are suggesting even more extreme measures should be employed.

They include Tally Gotliv, a member of the Israeli parliament, the Knesset.

In a post on X (formerly Twitter), she appeared to suggest a nuclear weapon should be used on Gaza - prompting widespread derision.

"Jericho Missile! Jericho Missile! Strategic alert. Before considering the introduction of forces. Doomsday weapon! This is my opinion. May God preserve all our strength," the post, written in Hebrew, is translated as saying.

It should be noted that there is no suggestion Israel is considering such a measure and, as has been pointed out, detonating a nuclear device in a neighbouring enclave would cause unimaginable death and destruction in Israel itself.

However, although she is known for her strident statements, Ms Gotliv is a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's ruling Likud party - and her latest comments offer an insight into the strength of feeling among some figures in Israel following the Hamas offensive.

Israel is a progressive and tolerant democratic nation and a model of a good functioning society in that region.

You've really chosen an interesting week to make this assertion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Between this and the shenanigans around Syria and Lebanon its almost like they are trying to start another Arab World v Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Russians were called child murders. I don't know what you are on about. Even going back to the start of that conflict there was the news story of the theatre that had painted the words "children" on it's roof and it was blown to pieces. I already mentioned the coverage over child abductions.

You may have heard stories of similar crimes by Ukrainians. I didn't see any.

The whataboutery is tiresome though. People are entitled to highlight infants being blown to pieces in Gaza

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They would say that obviously as the numbers of innocent people murdered in Gaza will rise it will justify it in their eyes to say they were Hamas. But they can't say that about the little children.

Who did the "separating".

Must have been those pesky kids from the HRW website story?

Couldn't have been the Israelis now, could it?

And would you not think that anything might have happened in the intevening 50+ years to exacerbate the situation at all?

Maybe so, but for gods sake, one of them seems to think this thread is about Sinn Féin and their chances of getting into government. The hasbara are way below the bottom of the barrel now and heading for New Zealand.

• highlighting it and accusing everyone who won’t immediately decry Israel exclusively as supporters thereof are different things.

That is the point I am making and which you constantly ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Israel reporting videos of organized gang rape of the women hostages now. It will not come as a surprise to them. It's a God given right in Sharia law but it is shocking to Israel and many of us here. It shows the mindset, the intractable chasm.

The Israeli reporter on DW saying that even friends of his from the left who were involved in supporting Palestinian rights now want Gaza to be destroyed and he said that if this Govt do not then Israelis will elect one that will.

Saying but this map or that map, those girls were trained soldiers, No such thing as a civilian in Israel ain't going to wash any more and it isn't going to be entertained by any segment of Israeli society and many outside it.

If it is not resolved now then Israelis know that they are all going to get the same down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, you've kind of proven my point though — take one sentence out of what was an attempt at least at nuance and hone in on it. This is the problem really.

Anyone who pretends to not understand what I mean by that assertion is kidding themselves — all the more so when it's accompanied with criticisms of Israel that make clear that isn't a glorification of them. Stating that they have a good functioning society is really not that controversial as it is an observable reality, all the more so when one considers the both historic and ongoing volatility of other countries in the Middle East. This is not said without acknowledgement of both their problems and their wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Goodness knows the suffering they've endured if they're even still alive 😪 They took babies too 😥

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you are going on about. Honestly. The vast majority on here can both condemn the killings at the weekend and protest about the upcoming Israeli massacre of defenceless people who are trapped like sitting ducks in a massive open air prison.

It will be target practice for the IDF.

What I do see on the thread though is the labelling of those who criticize such Israeli policy as antisemitic

If you were Israeli do you think you would condemn the war crimes that Israel has committed, not just now but since the state came into being - let's start with the Nakba. Not forgetting the Stern gang and Irgun.

Would you call for the return of the displaced Palestinians? Would you call for their property to be returned to them and for reparations to be made to them? We are talking of many millions of affected people here BTW.

• Nothing again to be said about the Israeli children who suffered and are suffering after being kidnapped.

As expected.

Your fake veil from yesterday has slipped. Shame on you. I and many others have condemned the Hamas violence and killing of innocents and you well know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Wonder can a paramotor make it across the English channel.

25-30kms isnt it.

Have another go there at reading the post you quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Homelander

This thread could go on for 1,000 pages and some people would still treat it like a simplistic black and white issue when it's absolutely not. What Hamas did was utterly barbaric, equally Israel's heavy handed responses are far too indiscriminate given the urban density of Gaza.

I don't know what the solution is, it's an absolute nightmare. The fact that Hamas is an ISIS-like fundamentalist group in control of Gaza makes a solution extremely difficult.

A majority of Palestinians (and obviously Hamas) want Israel completely removed from historic Palestine. How do you reach realistic compromise on that?

Also I have to ask what is the root cause of the obsession with Palestine in particular? I'm not saying their plight isn't worth talking about, far from it.

But you barely hear a peep about the continued brutality Turkey is inflicting on the Kurds, and Turkey's literally at the edge of the EU. Why?

And lest we forget the heroic defense of IDF against the senior Hamas leader Mohammed Tamimi

• Advertisement

The EU and the USA etc should demand a ceasefire if they had any decency at all. Crimes against children are not war.

Advertisement