Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, you've kind of proven my point though — take one sentence out of what was an attempt at least at nuance and hone in on it. This is the problem really.

Anyone who pretends to not understand what I mean by that assertion is kidding themselves — all the more so when it's accompanied with criticisms of Israel that make clear that isn't a glorification of them. Stating that they have a good functioning society is really not that controversial as it is an observable reality, all the more so when one considers the both historic and ongoing volatility of other countries in the Middle East. This is not said without acknowledgement of both their problems and their wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Goodness knows the suffering they've endured if they're even still alive 😪 They took babies too 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I have no idea what you are going on about. Honestly. The vast majority on here can both condemn the killings at the weekend and protest about the upcoming Israeli massacre of defenceless people who are trapped like sitting ducks in a massive open air prison.

It will be target practice for the IDF.

What I do see on the thread though is the labelling of those who criticize such Israeli policy as antisemitic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

If you were Israeli do you think you would condemn the war crimes that Israel has committed, not just now but since the state came into being - let's start with the Nakba. Not forgetting the Stern gang and Irgun.

Would you call for the return of the displaced Palestinians? Would you call for their property to be returned to them and for reparations to be made to them? We are talking of many millions of affected people here BTW.

• Nothing again to be said about the Israeli children who suffered and are suffering after being kidnapped.

As expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,742 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Your fake veil from yesterday has slipped. Shame on you. I and many others have condemned the Hamas violence and killing of innocents and you well know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Wonder can a paramotor make it across the English channel.

25-30kms isnt it.

Have another go there at reading the post you quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

This thread could go on for 1,000 pages and some people would still treat it like a simplistic black and white issue when it's absolutely not. What Hamas did was utterly barbaric, equally Israel's heavy handed responses are far too indiscriminate given the urban density of Gaza.

I don't know what the solution is, it's an absolute nightmare. The fact that Hamas is an ISIS-like fundamentalist group in control of Gaza makes a solution extremely difficult.

A majority of Palestinians (and obviously Hamas) want Israel completely removed from historic Palestine. How do you reach realistic compromise on that?

Also I have to ask what is the root cause of the obsession with Palestine in particular? I'm not saying their plight isn't worth talking about, far from it.

But you barely hear a peep about the continued brutality Turkey is inflicting on the Kurds, and Turkey's literally at the edge of the EU. Why?

• Advertisement

And lest we forget the heroic defense of IDF against the senior Hamas leader Mohammed Tamimi

The EU and the USA etc should demand a ceasefire if they had any decency at all. Crimes against children are not war.

Yeah but they can't do that because they haven't called Ukraine child murderers yet

(I don't understand it either but apparently that's the logic)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Do something EU.

- ok. (Does something).

Supranational, interfering, 4th reich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

The US is sending weapons and money as we speak. I don't understand why at all considering how well they have funded Israel to date - what is the threat here today at this stage?

The way I see it, the IDF got caught lacking; small arms, rockets, and melee weapons(Used disgustingly I might add) and say for arguments sake 2000-3000 Hamas scumbags crossed into Israel - many attacking innocents and taking hostages and committing proper disgusting acts .

Now that Israel has re-secured the fence area and called up its reservists what more role should the EU or the US be playing here? Is the immediate threat not quelled or at least quelled to a level that Israel can handle itself?

Why is a US carrier group sitting off the coast of Gaza? Hamas don't have jets or even the capability to bring one down it seems?

Are they afraid this is going to draw in Iran and Maybe even Egypt?

• Oh give it a rest mate would you 😂

you’re making bullshit arguments out of things I never said to make some sort of point yet you still deflect.

I said and I’ll repeat it for you again and read it slowly this time:

You wouldn’t see this child murder hysteria in the Ukraine/russia thread like you do here. If you chose to support one side or another you could be called a plethora of names, but supporting child murder would not be something you’d be accused of.

Look at this thread! Almost every post has children mentioned somehow & predictably not much mention of the Israeli children.

Just the poor Palestinians. As usual of course, nothing changes there. Of course the only right answer is to decry Israel no matter what anything else makes you a supporter of it 🙄

so what is to be said about the Israelis who were killed at a dance party? Or the kids who were kidnapped?

Israel are made out to be the big boogey man here, but I tell ya what, I have yet to see any reports of IDF driving naked women around in the back of their trucks and raping them on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hummingbird Project

So were the borders cut off and Netanyahu bombed them anyway? Was there any evacuation even for half a day after the terrorist attacks? I think there was a half day window for the Gazans to get out? Is that correct? Who cut off the borders Egypt? It’s a sad sad situation that has come to a grave end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I do think there is a feature of how the Palestinian struggle has morphed over the years that people who push the unfettered "they are freedom fighters" line tend to overlook. That is the fact that the ideological focus of their struggle has shifted quite significantly away from secularism and towards Islamism. Where once the PLO seemed to fit quite well into the same narrative as the oft-romanticised struggles of European groups like the IRA, ETA, Baader Meinhof etc, Hamas have replaced the PLO and their actions of last weekend are now more reminiscent to Europeans of the almost nihilistic manner in which Islamic fundamentalist militants perpetrate violence.

To be clear, I don't think it negates either the very obvious grievances of the Palestinians, nor justifies Israeli brutality in return, but it should open eyes to the fact that Hamas are not on some great quest that can be cleanly compartmentalised in a "freedom fight" box where the actors strive to avoid acts of barbarism or regret those that do occur — but are very much driven by a fundamental Islamic agenda that actually encourages barbarism as being virtuous.

Again, this is not in dismissal of Israeli wrongdoing before anyone leaps on the post.

Stating that they have a good functioning society is really not that controversial as it is an observable reality

There you go, you have done it again, completely ignoring the well-documented facets of that country which conclusively prove that it is a discriminatory society even within "Israel proper".

What is really needed is not the politics of the latest atrocity but a full understanding of the roots of the problem. Of course, many people want to ignore the background (I admit you have slightly nuanced your support for Israel).

One aspect that is generally ignored is while we acknowledge that Gaza is an immense ghetto, "Israel proper" is one too. The zionist project gathered together as many jews as possible in a small area and they now feel trapped there. It's an unenviable position for them in many ways, and in the long term untenable. Statistics are not easy to find, but a great many of the well-educated younger jews from a European background have emigrated. I have read that as many as one million may be in the USA, but cannot find conclusive evidence of the numbers anywhere. There are many, many young Israelis all over Europe, including in Ireland.

Overall then, Israel has IMO hit the rocks - no more big pools of potential immigrants; large-scale emigration; and constant war. Not a great future in store for them.

The US are obviously making sure that no other factions outside Israel get involved until Israel finishes Hamas. The trouble is that many hundreds of innocents will die in the meantime and nobody seems to give a hoot about them. Collateral damage so to speak. Then in 10/20 years or less another Hamas forms which will be worse than the last and - Rinse and Repeat.

• Advertisement

Is this more hasbara disinformation, or can you provide proof of some sort that this has happened?

If not, I call bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Ya it's time Israel called the other Arab nations bluff and ask them to give up some land to let them settle. They absolutely wouldn't because they hate the Palestinians and only use them to virtue signal.

Hamas have mass murdered whole families, including killing children in front of parents. They've massacred partygoers with abandon.

Why do you believe that Hamas suddenly develops a moral compass when it comes to rape?

I would put nothing past Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

The ballot box is where you will go if you don't want SF in power. "Action to prevent"?? Sounds like you don't believe in democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The borders are always cut off. There is no in or out even during peacetime. Gaza is an open air prison

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are you looking for actual videos to show it's actually happening, define proof of what you're looking for exactly to prove it's not happening,

People were raped and killed on Saturday what makes you think that they won't be raping their kidnapp victims

That poster, and various others, are calling for ethnic cleansing. Likewhat happened in Nagorno Karabakh just a week or two ago. Azerbaidzhan got away with it, so why shouldn't Israel.

And Uncle Sam is there to make sure no one stops them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Hamas basically went full Jihad on behalf of the Palestinian people with their actions. I doubt many Gaza civilians wanted this but they were not given a choice. They have played right into the Israel leaderships murderous hands. I cannot see how this will end well for Israel as a sitting duck amongst the Arab nations either. They will be multitudes hated after this. The scenes are horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Surprised that under these circumstances, Egypt is not opening it's border for refugees. On the other hand, not surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

For the record I’m not one of those people who shout antisemitic.

And I’ll be totally honest also- while I abhor violence and war, if I were Israeli right now, I just don’t think I could do anything other than support what that government are about to do.

Yes innocent people will get killed/ but that’s war- calling it “shooting fish in a barrel” or whatever doesn’t really take away from the fact that an act of war by a terrorist group was done to another country- I can appreciate they have to “go in hard” - it’s very very sad but I don’t see any other option here.

Hopefully it will be Hamas not innocent people that will suffer but that’s down to the quality of intelligence about Hamas numbers and locations - let’s hope it’s accurate

Advertisement