Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

3 of 33 qualified on residency. 3 of 33 through Irish ancestry, 27 of 33 came up through the system. All 6 who did not come through the system here came here to play first. Of the players qualified by residency. Aki is playing in Ireland for 9 years, Lowe for 6, Gibson-Park for 7. Of the 3 qualified through parent / grandparent, Herring has played here for 11 years, Bealham for 9 and Hansen is in his 3rd year playing all his rugby in the Irish system

The most recent football squad 6 of 24 were not born here and never played football here outside of the national team. That's probably the lowest number of "overseas" players in over 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Like many I know I'm firmly only a bandwagon watcher and having mulled the thread over the last week I don't think he'll achieve the same adoration as Charlton simply because rugby is still not as widespread as a football and a few jumpers for goalposts.

If we did win I feel the bigger benefit will be to show that all Island effort furthers the chance of success in all codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

If we win the World Cup, yes...otherwise no.

Reasons : Ireland is a different place now, than 1990. Rugby is hugely popular but nothing like as universally popular as soccer was back in 1990. I mean there wasn't a sinner on the streets for Ireland v Italy... EVERYBODY was indoors watching the game.

Anyway wish the team all the best next Saturday 🇮🇪

What I mean by farcical is the residency rule means no ties to the country, too easy for anyone to play for the side. Anyway. Farrell is entitled to make use of the rules as is any other country. It does not seem to be in the spirit of the sport though. 'Project players' and so on.

--

But again this has nothing to do with the OP's question. I still have not seen anyone of this thread say why Farrell would get the same adoration Charlton received even if they think he would.

You would have to define the level of adoration v level of success for a start.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Who has more ties to Ireland, Bundee Aki or Sammie Szomdics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

It’s after 5 years of residency, it’s only ever going to apply to a very small proportion of players, 3/33 in the current squad - that’s only going to get smaller as well as they’ve tightened the rules on it.

It is irrelevant to the discussion as it to do with the question of Farrell adoration v Charlton. But the answer is obvious Szomodics - qualifies for Ireland to his grandparent. Aki qualifies by virtue of residency.

But again how is this question relevant to the adoration question? Is it because Charlton took up 'residency' in Mayo and brought a house there?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

What an odd and misplaced (most of your points are based on falsehoods) hatred you seem to have for the sport

In any case I can tell by your posting history and how you carry on that you’re either being satirical or a wind up merchant. Won’t be taking anything you say seriously anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Like how Jack Charlton got Ireland to the world cup?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think that a foreign-born plater choosing to live in Ireland and play club rugby here for 5 years before they get a shot at the national team is far better than having an Ireland soccer manager bribing a foreign-born player with a green jersey because their granny happened to be born in Ireland.

The Jack Grealish saga was tragic.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 36 -F1-

Michael Bent? He qualified through an Irish parent, also lived and played in Ireland for 10 years. He got a lot of bile thrown his way for being parachuted into the team which is of course on the management and not his fault at all.

Was an important player for Leinster for the best part of a decade and never got the plaudits he deserved. This frosty atmosphere for him which remained ever since his initial introduction is probably what led him to return to NZ after retiring from rugby, which is a shame. I wouldn’t blame him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You posted: 74%of the starting team for the Italia 90 QF were born in Ireland,

Which was wrong. Stander hasn't played for Ireland in years. Plus the players you mention had more of a connection with Ireland, living and working here, children born here, than any of the Ireland soccer team who flew in and out for match's and majority to this day still live in England.

ne of the few players who is still around ireland is Cascarino, who has no connection with Ireland at all apart from a dodgy passport

Like the Irish soccer fans still give abuse to a young English player because he decided to play for England. Which one? well a few now isn't it.

I wouldn't be questioning the system if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's not abuse, it's "industrial language" 😉

Who was that? are you talking about Joe Schmidt?

• Advertisement

You are correct it was someone else. I apologise. It was someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newport2

Surely it's the mentality of the players that matter, not the fans? The Irish fans might be afraid to believe we will win, but the players are certainly not. The Irish team is a lot more confident that the fans are and they look as if the are there to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To put into context, between 1988-90, Ireland was a poor country and very sportingly poor. We had 1 Post-War Olympic Gold medal. We were not achieving anything in sport outside of Ireland. The Jack Charltons era was a wake up moment of "hold on, we can actually do stuff?".

I don't think Andy Farrell or the rugby team could capture the country like that. I think only the football team in the deep stages of a World cup/Euros could shut down the nation.

I like Rugby. I go to some Leinster and Ireland games but it just isn't on a universal level like the football is.

That's what I was trying to say but it flew over their head. It doesn't really matter what fans are posting on a forum and more about what the players think

Sure they have a whole ad campaign taking the piss out of it

All that rubbish about the “elites” deliberately keeping rugby all for themselves and locking anyone else out. Total bollòcks.

Anyway as I said you’re only on a wind up here so I’m not arsed entertaining any of this nonsense as argument in good faith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Yeah keep telling that to yourself and you might believe it lol, he was a sports migrant came to ireland for a few quid and fecked off. Them plastic paddies you mention have to have a blood link to the country they represent in soccer they don't in rugby. I suppose you consider and American, Brit with grand parents from Ireland a plastic paddy also ?

It’s not “bollòcks,” it’s fact: Irish rugby is the reserve of private school boys or the odd “rugby family” dotted around.

I would wager that the vast majority of Ireland (note the proper noun) rugby players either went to a fee-paying “rugby” school or their father played professional rugby. It’s a closed shop, for a select few at the top table only and nobody else.

You honestly believe someone who is dropped into the Ireland squad having never represented Ireland at any level previously, never played at any level in this country and has never lived here has more connection to the country than someone who has lived here 9 years and is raising his kids here, just because of 1 grandparent?

By the way, Andy Farrell has two Irish Grandparents. And his wife Colleen O'Loughlin is of Irish stock also. One of the reasons Farrell has gelled so well with the Irish team is the his upbringing was an Irish ex-pat one, similar to the likes of Kevin Kilbane. His son Owen, captain of the England rugby team, has probably got more Irish heritage than half the Irish football team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

You have to remember that Ireland back in 1988 / 1990 was a different place. Charlton and his team brought joy and hope into what was for a lot of people a grim insular country. As a 15 year old in 1988 I can say that beating England in Euro 88 was a highlight of my childhood. Euro 88 and Italia 90 transcended across the whole of society. I don't think any sporting achievement now would get people back to the streets in the way that Jack's success did, save perhaps if Stephen Kenny won the world cup. Those of us of a certain age owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jack Charlton for the joy he brought to the masses.

Rugby is a niche sport, behind soccer, football and hurling in Ireland. It will never get the same participation rates as the other sports as it's not really something you can play down the park as a kid and at school level you require competent coaches to avoid injury. I'd put it in the same bracket as swimming, field hockey, etc. The one difference is that it tends to trigger some soccer and maybe less so GAA fans for some reason. Yes it's played by private schools (and we all know there's a cohort that hate anyone with more money than them in this country) but a lot of clubs outside of Dublin are no different to the local GAA or soccer club with the same mix of people. My son plays both rugby and GAA, and there is a high degree of cross over between the two teams (but less so as he gets older). In fact one of his rugby team has been called up to a full inter country football squad. There is more cross over between his rugby and GAA teams that there is between his GAA team and local soccer teams. There are no players on his rugby team playing soccer. Different people like different sport.

If Farrell wins the World Cup it will be an outstanding sporting achievement. For rugby fans (myself included) it will be great occasion. Hopefully fans of other Irish sports can enjoy it too, in the same way we all enjoy when we win in niche sports (like Olympic rowing). If the FAI have any sense they will look at how the IRFU have grown the sport at every level over recent years and learn from it.

• Advertisement

For every Kevin Kilbane who was raised in a "Irish" household, there are 10 Sammie Szomodics who take the opportunity of International football when they realise they wont get it with their home country. See Grealish and Rice as players who couldn't leave quick enough when the chance came up to represent their home country. Aki et al have invested time and effort in this country and are raising their families here and have demonstrated far more commitment to the country than most footballers who "declare" for Ireland.

Also, the whole issue is being massively overplayed. 3 of 33 players have qualified via residency.

Advertisement