Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Rape has always been used as a weapon of war and I doubt very much that Hamas are more civilised, or caring about women's rights then any other group engaged in conflicts.

Just because you haven't seen 'proof' doesn't mean it isn't happening, you can be sure it is, 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think but everyone would benefit if we say "Hearing/Seeing reports" that we share a link of report as long as it is within the rules of the thread ie no NSFW videos - it adds credibility to what's being said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The UN is just a means whereby large countries can make their opinions known about important events. It was never a means to force rules upon them. It does piss off big countries to be seen as unpopular at the UN so not a total waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The problem is that the US want Israel to act as their hard man in the region, should anything kick off there. So they turn a blind eye to the fact that Israel has stolen and continues to steal their neighbours land, while corralling millions of people into an open air prison camp the size of Louth, which is shrinking all the time. Israel are illegal controllers of foreign land and until the international community are one in condemning Israel's actions in Palestine, there will be no future settlement to the issues that have been plaguing the area for decades.

There has to be an acknowledgement somewhere along the line that Palestine has a right to their own determination before anything can move forward.

• ignore them they were offered proof but it’s not the type they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The worse part in that irony is the US is supplying very much limited resources to one in dribs and drabs while the other they will go for broke to support and supply them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

"There is noone ready to have a mature conversation about Israel and it’s behaviour for decades."

Well doesn't that apply to Hamas as well though, along with those who back them (like Iran), who do not appear to be pushing a conciliatory realistic solution but are instead hellbent on seeing the downfall of Israel?

As has been rightly pointed out in the media, the timing and severity of this attack at a time where Israel and Saudi Arabia were making inroads towards the normalisation of their relations does appear to reek of Iranian influence. It does seem to me that a greater appreciation of the reality that Israel can't just commit national suicide is needed on the part of certain sectors of the Arab world, which might go some way to easing Israel's security concerns. But there still appears to be those who believe that the ball is only ever in Israel's court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Sky News

https://news.sky.com/story/israel-gaza-war-latest-hamas-palestine-sky-news-live-blog-12978800#6558219

"Fears are growing across Lebanon that a front may soon open up on the southern border with Israel.

People here are glued to their TVs watching for updates about what's happening in Gaza. 

Schools across the south have been closed for the foreseeable future.

On the roads heading north from the border, there's heavy traffic as people move away from areas that could become a warzone. 

It's very hard to predict what will happen next but the prospect of escalation is very real. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hummingbird Project

Ah the repentant sinner. Thinking it’s ok for SF to walk into power now they have turned a leaf and there has been inter national agreement approved by the Irish people about their atrocities.

The unfunny thing is there has been people slaving their whole lives to keep this economy afloat without a voice to oppose this charade. They keep SF and their voters in free houses with multiple children to outnumber the workers who pay for them.

Unfortunately, we hat narrative you speak about, the subsequent division of Ireland and the so called troubles which were just murderous thugs satiating their appetite for blood and power, was based on a false narrative. Independence was indeed coming before Pearce et al took up arms and seized power and divided this country.

The country wouldn’t be divided if he didn’t instigate his power grab. Now those people satiating their vanity by being in the limelight of international news carrying out international ageeement wants to forbode their sins and usurp the law keepers.

Well unfortunately, events have come to a precipice and for the extinction of those hard workers, business owners, et al, we are going to stand up for ourselves and make sure this false remorse of SF doesn’t go unexposed.

Let me ask you this- do you condemn every act of terror SF IRA carried out in the troubles and renounce SF politically? Do you condemn their alliance with Hamas, ETA et al? If you do you can work your way from the bottom up in the Republic but not take power now.

Totally agree with you,

But every day this conflict rolls on and not just what happened at the weekend and the reprisals the further and further that option for 2 Separate states gets ,it's practically non existent now , Israel won't give back what they have stolen and we can't take from anywhere else to give to Palestine,and even at that were still going to see attacks against both states and off to perpetual war again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I'm not quite sure I understand your post or what specific points you are taking me up on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hummingbird Project

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The idea of 2 States is a non runner. It was dead before last weekend, it's even worse than dead now.

There was no way Israel would allow a return to 67 borders either, it puts too many of their population in firing line.

Do people honestly believe that a Palestinian state would ever change from calling for the extermination of the Jews, to focus on it's own prosperity and well being, me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’d say he is done once the crisis is over. The guy at the top has to take responsibility for such massive failures of intelligence etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Their cause being freedom?

Palestinians reason to fight is as legitimate as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hamas aren't "fighting for freedom"; they're fighting against the existence of the Israeli state.

Palestinians didn't launch this war, Hamas did.

It's not really about what Israel will give back at this point. It's about getting them to not take more land off of the Palestinians. Palestine is in a fight for its very existence here and as long as the rest of the world sits back and says that what Israel is doing is ok, even in a tacit way, Israel will continue to do what she's been doing for decades, which is strangling Palestine and ethnically cleansing the region. As long as they have the sugar daddy relationship with the US, there will be no resolution here.

The problem then gets compounded when the extremists come to the fore, and they will, because the extremists are usually the ones to try and spearhead something when, seemingly, there are no other options left open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Really?? I think thier objective is for a state for palestinians?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So what is the solution then? Keep the Palestinians in what amounts to being their prisons for the next few years? Israel has been kicking this can down the road for far too long to their own detriment. They have no moderates on the other side now. They inflict pain and suffering on the Palestinians like never before and still haven't taken the fight out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

That's one of the odder comments I've seen here, and that's saying something.

Care to explain why "Jewish" and "agriculture" are in your mind mutually incompatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They are fighting against a state that routinely subjugates and indiscriminately murders Palestinian men women and children.

Even in times of "peace" with no hamas operations ongoing, IDF and Israeli settlers still kill Palestinian children. There was already a 3 figure death toll this year before this attack kicked off

Israel is a terrorist state, so anyone fighting against the IDF is a freedom fighter in my book.

The problem is they want to end Israel and Israel wants to end Palestine,and both sides Think they will be victorious in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Won’t have any effect, Hamas would sacrifice 100k innocent Palestinians just to get the media coverage. They’re a terror group only interested in self enrichment and power. They not only knew full well but actively counted on a heavy handed Israeli response to the atrocities they committed over the weekend to ensure a steady supply of money, weapons and volunteers for the next few years as Muslims seek retribution for what’s about to unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

let me just say i condemn totally the awful, barbaric, inhuman violence of Hamas.

but Israel has effectively turned the Gaza Strip into a concentration camp, and are now setting about eradicating its' trapped inhabitants. But somehow Israel and her supporters cannot see the irony of this?!!

it's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A Palestinian State in the West of Egypt, or anywhere.

The population relocated to neighbouring countries.

What should have been, could have been are immaterial to now.

What is the long term resolution, it's not an Israel and a Palestinian state. It's not the right to return, both of those end in Israelis being exterminated down the road and here is the big challenge, for right or wrong, they are not going to allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Their cause is the destruction of Israel. They won't accept a Palestinian state through peace talks etc. They want Israel eradicated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly as I see it. Hamas commits heinous crimes and Israel responds with even worse firepower. Thus ensuring more volunteers will enlist with Hamas for future battles. Rinse and repeat.

Advertisement