Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Palestinians deserve the right to their own self determination ON THEIR OWN LAND. Not in Egypt or anywhere else. But on the their land. Land which Israel steals.

What you're proposing is merely ethic cleansing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He probably is done, the Defense Minister will probably be his replacement and have a landslide victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I see this war getting even more dirty. Israeli around the world will become targets. Israeli maybe able to defend citizens in Israeli but impossible to defend them in foreign countries. Israeli like palestinians will also have freedom of travel taken away.

In the absence of an ideal world what else is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Israelis now using banned phosphorus ammunition on Gaza.

Also many many strikes killing families and destroying homes south of Gaza city too. For anyone claiming that rest of the strip is safe - that is a blatant lie. Israelis are indiscriminately bombing everything in the Gaza strip.

So far over 187000 people displaced in Gaza due to their homes being damaged or destroyed. That is not "precision strikes", that is ethnic cleansing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Well if the Israelis wanted to commit genocide they’re doing a poor job of it, the Palestinian population has roughly doubled in the last 20 years.

Since we all know Isreal is militarily and technologically capable of committing genocide and since according to every pro-Palestinian person I’ve ever heard they do what they want since the Americans love them then why do you think this is?

Is it possible the situation is a tad more nuanced than you claim?

The videos circulating on social media regarding white phosphorus are fake; clips taken from other conflicts in the past and presented as if that's what Israel are doing in Gaza.

It's propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

i think forced relocation is considered a war crime. So that is not an option.

The Palestinian refugees caused such problems in Jordan a few years back that i dont think Egypt or any other Arab country would take them on voluntarily.

If no two state solution is possible then I think Israel has to treat them as Israeli citizens and not currently as its prisoners'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Dont kid yourself. All Jews will be targets, not just Israelis. It's already happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

let's forget about the morality of this. i fear that's a lost cause.

does Benny really think that murdering women & children will make Israel more secure/less insecure? can he really be that deluded?

does he really think the surviving Palestinians will just pack up their few meagre belongings, and say "oh! well let's just move on somewhere else. never did like this awful place anyhow. the Jews are welcome to it"

on what parallel universe does Benny think that's gonna happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well if they become Israeli would that not be a war crime too and denying their right to self-determination?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Hamas are fighting for freedom for the Palestinan people then why do they use those Palestinan people as human shields?

They fight to slaughter Israeli's nothing else. The Palestinan shields they hide behind are useful for propaganda and victimhood.

Then why has it been geolocated to a district within gaza?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Watching footage on sky news of a women and her little baby and child being taken hostage by Hamas made me just cry this morning. I cannot abide cruelty to children, helpless little babies. I don’t care what side you’re on, that is not justifiable no matter what land is disputed. No land is worth a human life, Jewish, Palestinian, it doesn’t matter. I hope this can be stopped, slaughter of innocent people is wrong no matter what your goal.

The Israeli population will look at the issue of forces relocation or their own extermination at the hands of a culture that views it as having a divine command to wipe them out.

They won't give a flying 789k, the ones who would have been against last week view it as too moderate an approach now.

I have never heard not granting a people their independence as being classed as a war crime. Israel seems to perform some actions that can be classed as close to war crimes but I dont think this meets the definition.

100% agree with you. But alas others don't. The suffering of the innocents is horrific.

• Advertisement

They will not be granted Israeli citizenship because the Israelis operate an apartheid regime and do not want Palestinians having any say in country's governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I just cannot see how any rational person can still, even now, view the conflict with this level of black and white absolutism.

Not only that, none of this absolutism is actually conducive to Palestinian freedom at all. The only path to lasting and peaceful freedom for Palestine is one that is based on mutual rationality and ideological sacrifice on both sides of that divide. Shooting children indiscriminately and parading the lifeless corpse of a young innocent tattoo artist with jeering and spitting are not the acts of glorious freedom fighters — it is bloodlust.

These men will win nothing for Palestine, nor in the long run will Israel's counter-assault achieve anything. People will go on glorifying one side with total bias and merely encourage the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Ohh right it’s starting now. Not once in the last 70+ years of conflict between Palestine and Israel, but now. Just as Isreal was about to sign a historic deal with Saudi that could actually lead to a dramatic reduction of tensions in the region, funny timing to launch a genocide but sure Isreal=bad right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

what makes you think the saudis give a bollocks about palestine?

Both sides bad but only one with huge weapons who refused to let women and children out before bombing the place to smithereens.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i think Israel is in danger of falling into a trap. HAMAS like ISIS don't give a fig about the Palestinians, or about Muslims in general. they want to create as much problems for Jews as possible, hoping they will over-react and cause outrage amongst Muslims wordwide.

by Benny rattling on about 911 it seems to me, like Bush before him, he is about to spring the trap HAMAS have set for him and his people.

There is two problems with the potential solution I would admit. One, the Israeli government has admitted in the past that they couldnt admit 4.9m Palestinians as citizens as it would destabilise the democracy. And two, Palestinians have never shown an inclination to want to become Israeli Citizens, not on mass anyway.

It would work in Palestinians favour though as they would have more land rights and human rights and the Israeli army would not be allowed to be as reckless with the lives of Israeli citizens. Israeli Arabs exist in Israel and have a high standard of living so it is a much better situation for them then being in this limbo that only benefits Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Israel is a progressive and tolerant democratic nation and a model of a good functioning society in that region. Its creation and expansion was and is wrong"

Can I pick you up on that second point?

What was wrong about its creation?

I understand a two nation state (if that is a good description) was recommended by the UN at the time.

I also understand that ,as the British mandate expired the Israeli forces declared independence and were then attacked by neighbouring Arab States.

Were the Israeli forces wrong to declare independence?

Were the Arab States wrong to attack?

Should the UK have applied for an extension of their mandate until such time as an orderly transfer of sovereignty could be guaranteed?

Should the UK have withheld recognition of the new State?

What was ,in the main wrong with the creation of the State of Israel at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Any Irish person who decided to throw on their old Palestinian flag on the weekend of this attack needs psychiatric assistance

It's irrelevant whether you support them in general or not , your gesture means you support the weekends madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

There is no independence to give. Gaza if left alone would collapse within months. It's a settlement,not a country. They rely on isreal and foreign aid to keep the lights on. They use isreali currency and have a 50% rate of unemployment. The best thing for peace is to disperse and resettle the people of gaza into the middle east because they don't have a country and never did. All they are in the current situation is meat to be used for conflict.

Advertisement