Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Evan Ferguson doesn't count as a the right sort footballer either seen as his father played professional football I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What’s bollòcks is your contention that there is a conscious effort on the part of the “elites” as you called them to exclude everyone else. Total rubbish.

As has been explained already the preponderance of private school players is a function of tradition and coaching. They’ve simply been playing rugby for far longer than new coming schools.

Why are Kilkenny so good at hurling? Are they genetically different to the average Irish person?

No. It’s because hurling is the main sport there and people grow up playing it and their grandfathers and fathers and uncles and cousins all probably played too. They are steeped in it from a young age - this provides a positive feedback loop in that there are a lot more people that can coach and train other people to a high level. It’s something that’s very difficult to replicate in a short period of time for other counties, but it can be done.

It’s the same with the private schools - some of them have been taking rugby very seriously for 100+ years, of course it’s going to take a while for formerly non rugby schools and clubs in non traditionally rugby areas to catch up. But it will happen as time goes on.

Your idea that people in rugby deliberately exclude others because of background is total nonsense. Everyone is happy to see the sport grow as much as possible and to see the best players play regardless of their background. What you’re saying is close minded, ignorant rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If the FAI have any sense they will look at how the IRFU have grown the sport at every level over recent years and learn from it.

How exactly?

What could the FAI learn from the IRFU about growing their sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

What’s bollòcks is your contention that there is a conscious effort on the part of the “elites” as you called them to exclude everyone else. Total rubbish.

Your idea that people in rugby deliberately exclude others because of background is total nonsense.

Everyone is happy to see the sport grow as much as possible and to see the best players play regardless of their background. 

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree because you’re either a) on a windup or b) comically, absurdly naive to the point of being child-like.

The kind of people who go to those schools, the same ones where our rugby “stars” come from, are the same people who rig the game in this country to keep themselves on top and the rest of us scrambling for scraps in the mud at the bottom.

If you really think that they play fair and are happy to let the public school riff-raff impinge on their god given right to govern Ireland rugby then I have some magic beans to sell you. 🫘

As soon as there’s any shift away from the “private school rugby boys” hegemony then they will be spitting bullets and changing all sorts of rules to fix it in their favour. Mark my words.

I presume they left the swimming and filed hockey viewing figures off the list for 2022 for a reason.

And this year

1.2 million watched Ireland South Africa on RTE and there were 250k live streams

1.19 million watch Ireland scotland on Virgin with 100k live streams.

1.45million watched Ireland's grand slam match against England.

They don't include the numbers from NI who would have watched on ITV.

Sounds niche alright. All went to private school of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That post makes no sense.

It's clear you have an agenda. What, I don't know...actually I have a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Inferiority complex perhaps. Hatred of unusual proportions to those who've done absolutely nothing to you.

Tv viewership really doesn't paint any type of accurate picture when it comes to lengthy events like rugby coverage.

As an example, this Saturday the Virgin media coverage of Ireland V NZ is going to be four hours and ten minutes. Starting at 6:50 and running until 11pm. That is a ridiculously long television slot, but crucially , it counts as "coverage" of the rugby game. All 4h 10m of it. 

When you have something on television for that long, it's almost a given that it's going to amass a fair number of viewers, regardless of how popular it is.

It's like RTE putting a head of lettuce on for six hours – I'm pretty sure it would rack up 1 million plus viewers. People tend to stumble upon and by things when they're channel surfing, and even if they only stay for a relatively short amount of time, they still count in the ratings.

So, I'd argue that when it comes to TV viewership figures for really long time slots, like sports coverage, they can be somewhat meaningless when used to gauge the true popularity of the event. It's also a highly circular argument, people are watching it because its on TV, its not on TV because people want to watch it. 

If you take any 4 hours of national television broadcast and add all of the people that tuned in at any point, its probably a figure close to 1 million anyway. These sport numbers are hugely inflated.

Such unbelievable reverse snobbery and complete horseshit.

The number of schools providing players to the Irish Rugby team is growing annually with more and more non fee paying schools represents. Even Leinster, where the private schools were in the ascendancy are seeing more and more players form non fee paying schools (eg. Henshaw, Furlong).

The bulk of the Munster and Ulster squads would be from non fee paying schools.

Yes, they tend to be on average form more privileged backgrounds. That's not a reasonable reason not to support them though. You want to take care of your back, carrying around all those chips.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You can argue away but that doesn't mean you are right. This is total nonsense.

I won't even bother asking you to explain the thousands of people going via train/plane/automobile over to France, with and without tickets.

FYI: You only have to watch a programme for one minute to be deemed a viewer, but if the programme is, say, 30 minutes long, then this single minute only counts for 1/30 of the programme. So the published "ratings" are actually an average for each of the minutes of the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭89897

I think Livia thinks Rugby in this country exists entirely within the walls of Leinster and the Irish National team. No clubs or schools play at all and theres not even a word for it in the west of Ireland. Its comical

Honestly its sounding more and more unhinged with each post.

Will Andy get the same adoration as Jack, no, but simply because its a totally different time and country now. I dont even think he'd want it. I dont know why it cant be left at 2 great managers that did great things with their squads and brought alot of happiness to alot of people without it resorting to getting nasty.

And here we go again.

High profile rugby games get big viewing figures, but that vanishes once you drill down.

How many are watching a URC game between Connacht and some Italian team on a random Friday night in February ?

Rugby people constantly fall into this trap of thinking that just because the high profile stuff is popular the whole sport is popular.

It's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No only rugby supporters live in D4

In regards to the manager, as I posted already both Charlton and Farrell are gruff no nonsense Northern Englishmen. If they met each other they would probably be best mates.

The viewing numbers for the URC are growing and growing rapidly. The support at lower levels is also growing. The AIL final this year in the Aviva had great support.

The number of people playing at mini's etc and right up is growing. 35% the number of players have been up over last 20 years from recollection, posted earlier on thread.

Rugby popularity is growing, it's not as big as other sports in Ireland but it's growing.

The number in Feb would be down because first off the URC is not playing for the most of Feb due to the 6 nations and on a Friday night the U20 play which are some exceptional games of rugby. You should check it out

It’s popular with bandwagoners and the elitist media class.

Maybe you can explain how you know what is popular or not? so far you don't really seem to have your finger on the pulse.

I thought after your grovelling apology earlier you would have the sense to stop embarrassing yourself, and yet here we are.

• Advertisement

When did I apologise to you? or do you have two accounts?

Still waiting for the answer by the way.

The South County Dublin types who went to rugby schools and ended up either working in the RTE Sport department or marketing, developing commercial campaigns for Island’s Edge, Rockshore, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I 100% do. In fact it's the definition of plastic Paddy.

A blood-link is nonsense if there is no cultural connection, and in nearly all cases, the same "oh my granny was Irish" althetes are here for money and a chance to compete where they didn't make the cut in their home country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

You’re obviously blinded by prejudice of people you don’t even know and it’s clear you’re not very informed on the sport in general with that conspiracy theory level analysis you’re giving.

Happy to leave it there.

Ohhhh so people who work for these companies entirely went to rugby schools and come from South Dublin! I see.

Livia, your posts are getting more and more unhinged.

Ehhh are you really suggesting that the Ireland rugby squad and the Irish media class have not been historically disproportionately made up of people from private schools in the leafy suburbs of Dublin? This isn’t controversial.

• Advertisement

Declan McBennet for who is head of sports department in RTE went to Queens and started his career in Northern Sound in Monaghan

Also a keen GAA player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Exactly they are all here for the money and to play international sport at the highest level both through the granny rule and residency rule. You seem to differentiate between the two, John Aldridge is as Irish as CJ stander !

I am not a rugby person, I'm a GAA person, but I can spot horsehit. What would the comparable figures for URC and National league be on TG4 be for example? 2022 NFL final between Mayo and Kerry had 228k viewers, and 2021 rugby game between Leinster and Munster had 229k.

Niche

And are you really saying that rugby in Ireland is gate kept by these people. That the million plus viewers on TV and the several hundred thousand that have and still will travel to France are all private school rugby elitists??

Thats like giving out that the elite soccer plays coming from academies is unfair, or athletes from high performance camps is unfair. None of these have any bearing on how you enjoy the sport as a regular person. You have some odd chip on your shoulder from how you post.

Seen it before, very good. Point is 90 percent of players through the granny, residence rule in rugby,, soccer are here for the money and to play sport at the highest level. I can't see the problem with it myself once it improves the team but some posters think CJ stander, bundee aki, are as Irish as bacon and cabbage. They are here for the money simples

Its easy, they know what is popular based on if the data suggests rugby might be popular its not relevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭17togo

This thread has gone to ****! 🤣

Op can we just do a poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think there's a place for a good fractious thread on a Tuesday.

They are not here, they live in UK

the rugby players are based here and have children here etc

In my opinion someone flying in for 2-3 days to play a game is totally different to someone that moves their entire family and life for multiple years to a country.

if you take the Leinster v Munster match over Christmas the number are normally higher as you have a captive audience. The URC viewing numbers over the season are increasing which is the main point.

the numbers playing rugby at all levels is increasing, it will also massively increase if Ireland can get to a semi or final.

• Advertisement

The point was how could someone who has devoted multiple years in Ireland and settled their family, for at least the duration of their career, be considered less suitable to represent Ireland than someone who happened to have a granny from here but otherwise had no link to the country, sporting or otherwise. Not that they were as Irish as bacon and cabbage. I dont have a problem with either scenario by the way. Would prefer we developed our own players as much as possible though. Which is now running at 82% in Rugby and 75% in Soccer.

For comparison - 100% of the world runners up Ireland U20 rugby team were developed here and 70% of U21 Football team

Rubbish, every Irish players playing professional soccer in the UK for a few years are all English now and CJ stander is Irish because he lived here for a few years ? I lived in the UK for 10 years and don't consider myself British . Roy Keane has lived in England all his professional life is he English ?. Typically rugby shite talking the high ground of who's more Irish , laughable stuff

In the Munster v Leinster semi final match, which was important game the numbers tell a different story.

Also Munster seem to get higher viewers than other provinces, strange for a sport that we keep getting told is Dublin and D4 only

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/07/10/munster-are-most-watched-side-in-urc/#:~:text=Munster's%20semi%2Dfinal%20win%20against,audience%20of%20the%20entire%20season.

I have no problem with either myself. There is a snobbery here from some that the rugby residence rule is superior. CJ stander is not Irish and never will be the same as John Aldridge, they used sport for their own benefit and fair play to them.

Is it always necessary to twist an argument to suit your point? No one said CJ Stander is Irish because he lived here. But once resident for an extended period of time here and being fully committed to jersey, why could he not represent Ireland when folks who have no link at all to the country other than a grandparent can?

And this argument is a distraction because it is been presented as being much of the team when it is actually only 3 players. And the requirements are now 5 years residency, same as to become a citizen. Are you suggesting naturalised citizens should not be allow to represent the country?

Not twisting anything just replying to the op who thinks you have to live in a country to represent it . Changing it to 5 years made a lot of sense , rugby admitted it's error. Anyway back on topic ,imho Andy Farrell should be given the same amount of accolades that jack received of he won the world cup. Would be a great achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't think your argument is portraying the narrative you think it does. The counties involved in the gaelic football match are of course just just two; Mayo and Kerry. Whereas, the counties involved in the rugby game are theoretically 18.

In the gaelic football match you have a captive audience from their support base of Mayo and Kerry of: 280k

In the rugby match you have a captive audience from their support base of Munster and Leinster of: 4M

So despite the captive audience being 142 times bigger for the rugby match it had exactly the same as the TV audience for the football. The fact that the audience numbers are more or less the same says it all about the lack of interest beyond the national team.

May want to check your maths there. You are off by a factor of 10.

It was also a National Final in Footballs 2nd competition in a sport with no international competition compared to a league game in the 2nd biggest club competition in a sport where international is huge. And even so, just because GAA is bigger in general does not mean rugby is not popular among the masses like some would have us believe.

220,000 for a league match held a week after the 6 nations finished, so robbed of most of the stars, is great viewing numbers for a niche sport.

A rugby game between Leinster and Munster in the URC is probably about the third teir of Irish rugby, it's behind internationals and European cup games in the pecking order.

A GAA football league final is much further down on the GAA pecking order, behind All Ireland finals, semifinals, quarter finals, Munster hurling championship provincial final, Munster hurling championship round robin games, provincial football finals.

So as I keep saying, rugby support is not deep, after you get past the high profile games the numbers fall off a cliff.

Actually, and this is something I posted here a few years ago, the first Munster v Leinster URC game back after stadiums were allowed full capacity post COVID failed to sell out Thomond Park.

Meanwhile, there were 8,000 at a McGrath Cup game,a pre season competition, in Killarney around the same time.

Rugby is niche.

• Advertisement
Advertisement