Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

The massive rocket attacks that Hamas threatened for 5pm in Ashkelon has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

More death and destruction. This is terrible now and could escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m not going to take “sides” here- both sides have committed atrocities - and indeed the Gaza Strip as a concentration camp is not just Israel’s doing - either side could have voted for peace and worked to maintain peace many years ago and they didn’t - so we are where we are- atrocity building on more atrocity - I’m not going to waste energy criticising one or indeed both sides- we all know the history and we’re now here today - shouting but but but doesn’t really do anything for me- I’ve had decades of war news thrown at me- I think I’m immune to the shock of it all at this stage- they’ll do whatever they want to do because they always have

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

This is a good video for anyone looking for unbiased round up of what’s occurred and some of the history behind this conflict. I found it useful as someone with little knowledge on the topic

https://youtu.be/CynzeRes7mY?si=5QI9m7RXui_B2Li6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The best thing for the Israelis maybe. Why would should the Palestinians be exiled? I understand that Israeli won the war they want to enjoy the spoils of war so want to treat the Palestinians like they were centuries ago, dispersed all around the world but I dont think this is going to happen. Lucky the English didnt do that with the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭thegame983

Hamas to start executing hostages soon.

Let's hope it is a quick death.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,670 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Israelis deserve the right to their own determination ON THEIR OWN LAND. Not in Russia or Germany or anywhere else. But on their land. Land which Palestine steals.

What you're proposing is merely ethnic cleansing.

See what I did there, I reflected back at you the problem. Palestinians in the form of Hamas want to wash the Jewish state of Israel from the face of the earth, and all who live in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

The entire Muslim world will be up in arms (literally and figuratively) at the response the Israelis are going to make. Saudi will have to be seen to “side” with the Muslim world and on doing so the deal and the thawing relations that have been ongoing the last while will be dead in the water. That’s a fairly obvious geo-political result of this Hamas attack.

Also my actual point in raising the Saudis was to another posters childish “genocide” comment. As if there weren’t dozens of reasons to call this kind of talk out the fact the Israelis have been actively pursuing better relations with certain Muslim actors in the region only further illustrates how bad the timing of this whole situation is for Israel.

I’m thinking you’re one of those people who fixate entirely on the wrongs committed by the Israelis so I’ll stop after this but read your own comment again and look at what happened on Sunday. Can you imagine what would happen Israel if Hamas had access to the Israelis level of weaponry? Because then there actually would be the genocide you mentioned and the Israeli population sure as hell wouldn’t of doubled in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think the longer this war goes on the more difficult it becomes for Abbas and his cronies to keep sitting on their hands. He will be secretly hoping Hamas are rendered unable to govern Gaza quickly to take the pressure off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Can’t hope they might be released, that this might stop, no? Wish them a quick death, just awful commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Could escalate.

Israel have barely begun to respond and Hamas, Hezbollah et al haven't played their other cards yet, it's only getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

do you think we should get our Israeli flags out then? we could celebrate the bombing of women & children.

Given the complexity of two peoples in one land, and the religious significance of the territory for both, I believe the situation was always going to be one over the other.

Take the possibility that the Arabs won the 1948 war. They would presumably have went on to develop a successful state at the expense of the losers in the war. The roles would merely be reversed, in other words.

But Israel won that 1948 war which, by the way, began when the Arabs rejected the UN partition of Palestine - instead wanting 100% of Palestine, as indeed Hamas do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭thegame983

I can hope that they'll be released. But they won't be.

Their captors are not above beheading, immolation, mutilation and much, much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’m not sure if ISIS and their jihadist pals in Syria ( ‘rebels’ according to the media) want to cause problems for Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-chief-acknowledges-long-claimed-weapons-supply-to-syrian-rebels/amp/

this has been happening in one guise or another since humans descended from the trees and picked up the first weapon.

but now you can sit back, enjoy a cuppa, put yer feet up and have it beamed live into your living room.

Yemeni Houthi leader has come out with a statement saying that they are prepared to enter the conflict if the US militarily supports Israel.

From Sky News:

Yemen's Houthi movement leader has said it will launch military action if the US intervenes in Gaza directly.

The group will respond by firing drones and missiles and take other military options, said Abdel-Malek al-Houthi.

"There are red lines when it comes to Gaza," he said, adding that the Houthis were ready to coordinate with other groups and intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Video linked is showing a building being blown up from street level. Important to share I think - No casualties can be seen in the video I believe.

Absolutely shocking stuff - I would not advise looking through the forum that that video is from, it does not censor anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I haven't any Israeli flags personally, however if I did see Irish people running around in such flags specifically celebrating the bombing of Palestinians I would consider them equally mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Most taken out by iron dome according to Israel. Bit thick of Hamas to warn the Israeli's where they are firing beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Reports from kibbutizm that were attacked on Saturday, systemic sluaghter, rape, torture, decapitation. Including of babies.

There are 2 sides and the big one is worse, what about this and that, no civilians in Israel, solidarity, etc etc etc ad nauseam.

There must be no ability left to ever attack like this again.

If Israel do not comprehensively end this threat now, they will perish and the problem will turn to us in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It can happen in places like Northern Ireland or Bosnia, with the right people in charge. It may happen alright that Palestinians are forced to leave and some other country may take them ,it just seems a very unlikely scenario to be resting the hope for peace on. To be blunt they don't want to leave and no one wants to accept them.

In the meantime Israel gets to treat part of the population under their control like dirt.

well said. i too possess no flags. but hang on in there Israel and her supporters have the champagne on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

ethnic cleansing is where they kill those 187000 people before they leave their homes -

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Perhaps a group can form after Hamas that will want to make peace with Israel and not want to exterminate them.

The entire Muslim world will be up in arms (literally and figuratively) at the response the Israelis are going to make. Saudi will have to be seen to “side” with the Muslim world and on doing so the deal and the thawing relations that have been ongoing the last while will be dead in the water. That’s a fairly obvious geo-political result of this Hamas attack.

Also my actual point in raising the Saudis was to another posters childish “genocide” comment. As if there weren’t dozens of reasons to call this kind of talk out the fact the Israelis have been actively pursuing better relations with certain Muslim actors in the region only further illustrates how bad the timing of this whole situation is for Israel.

**God this site has gone very glitchy, didn’t quote your question in the first post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is that correct ?

Did the UN partition Palestine?

Or was it just a recommendation?

Whichever it was ,did the Israelis also reject it by when they declared the State of Israel?

Or did the Israeli declaration follow the lines of the UN (recommended?) partition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I can't see Hamas and any other islamic jihad grouping having much success in terms of inflicting more damage on Israel in the short term tbh. Unless they have chemical weapons all they can do is aimlessly fire rockets into Israel until they run out which will cause damage yes but not on a scale to have any lasting effect. The real worry for everyone should be their ability to strike "soft targets" in the US or Europe in terms of terror attacks. Any nation that sides with Israel will be a legit target in their eyes unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, the term "wrong" was blunt — but I guess I was summarising my own view that the original concept of Zionism was (in my opinion) misguided in its attempt to simply create a nation for European Jews in the Middle East without seeing the inevitability that this would give rise to conflict (even if the historical context of the Holocaust makes that desire readily understandable and even if there existed a small number of Jews there at the time) in a place where there was a pre-existing demographic and cultural reality. But to be honest, the term "wrong" in my post was directed more so at the nature of the expansionism which accompanied the nation's development after its inception — the effective land grabbing via settlements and demolitions right up to the present day which even the White House, Israel's most important ally, has admitted being "deeply troubled" by, as recently as June of this year.

Advertisement