Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance 2 acre site limit

• 10-10-2023 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the process of renewing my home insurance and on the assumptions I saw a condition that the site not be more than 2 acres. I live on 2.5 acre site and I just checked my existing policy and it has the same condition, so I guess I'm technically in breach of contract. Anyone know what this is about? How should I go about getting insured? Google isn't really giving me anything useful and I'm wary of raising it with any insurer directly until I know more about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Insurers will just note by endorsement that the site is 2.5 acres. Just ring them and tell them. They should not even charge for it, just get it from them in writing - whom is the Insurer - the mainline Insurers, the likes of Avvia / FBD will have no problem noting this, any of the fringe / Managing General Agents may not as their binder(what they can and they can not insure) may be very restrictive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Ok thanks for that info. I'm just doing online quotes through a few brokers at the moment so I haven't even gotten as far as the specific insurer yet. I might just contact some of the mainline insurers directly to be sure I'm fully covered. Thanks for the quick info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

With a site that size, insurers will have a concern that there may be an additional activity within the boundaries, such as keeping animals. This would have an affect on the public liability aspect of your cover. As stated above, talk to your insurer, explain your situation and they should just note the file. They may insert a warranty about maintaining gates and fences etc if you keep horses or the like

Advertisement