Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merc C300H worth a ECU upgrade?

• 10-10-2023 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've a 2015 C300H AMG line Merc. Its got 150K mileage.

A friend has suggested I get a stage 1 upgrade to boost the HP.

Damage about €250.

Would this effect the life of the engine or have any detromental effects on the car?

I'm told stage 1 is fine, but not beyond..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

See below. I look after the car! and I don't do high mileage in it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/smq3np/does_a_stage_1_tune_have_any_negative_effects_on/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

What kind of horsepower and torque gains would you achieve?

I've still to get that information. A friend is forwarding this guys ifnformation to me. He comes highly recommeneded by a few people I know.

I just wanted to see here if its generally a good thing or if it's seriously frowned on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Normally a Stage 1 tune just involves a software remap/upgrade of the car's ECU parameters with no hardware upgrades.

Make sure it's not a guy with a laptop who buys generic tuning maps off the internet and meets you in a car park. Get it done by a proper tuner with a dyno/rolling road who knows what they are doing and will do a custom map where current performance can be measured against the new performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Definitely this. Stage 1 could be anything from <10% to 20% gain but you need a before and after printout from a dyno to make sure. Don't rely on your trouser dyno (seat of your pants measurement) for this as your mind will play tricks.

Westward Engineering used to be the place to go in Leinster for tuning in the past but not sure if they can tune a stock Mercedes ECU. You could certainly book time on their dyno though and might be a good place to get your before and after done when getting the tune done on the car.

It'll cost you more to do a dyno run for the tuning but worth it in the end. Oh, and remember to tell your insurance too, once it is done..... I know, someone had to be that guy. 🙂

Thanks for the helpful advice. But I think the more I look into this I might give it a miss, but I appreciate all the replies and help.

Advertisement