Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Exactly they are all here for the money and to play international sport at the highest level both through the granny rule and residency rule. You seem to differentiate between the two, John Aldridge is as Irish as CJ stander !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

I am not a rugby person, I'm a GAA person, but I can spot horsehit. What would the comparable figures for URC and National league be on TG4 be for example? 2022 NFL final between Mayo and Kerry had 228k viewers, and 2021 rugby game between Leinster and Munster had 229k.

Niche

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭89897

And are you really saying that rugby in Ireland is gate kept by these people. That the million plus viewers on TV and the several hundred thousand that have and still will travel to France are all private school rugby elitists??

Thats like giving out that the elite soccer plays coming from academies is unfair, or athletes from high performance camps is unfair. None of these have any bearing on how you enjoy the sport as a regular person. You have some odd chip on your shoulder from how you post.

Seen it before, very good. Point is 90 percent of players through the granny, residence rule in rugby,, soccer are here for the money and to play sport at the highest level. I can't see the problem with it myself once it improves the team but some posters think CJ stander, bundee aki, are as Irish as bacon and cabbage. They are here for the money simples

Its easy, they know what is popular based on if the data suggests rugby might be popular its not relevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭17togo

This thread has gone to ****! 🤣

Op can we just do a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think there's a place for a good fractious thread on a Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They are not here, they live in UK

the rugby players are based here and have children here etc

In my opinion someone flying in for 2-3 days to play a game is totally different to someone that moves their entire family and life for multiple years to a country.

if you take the Leinster v Munster match over Christmas the number are normally higher as you have a captive audience. The URC viewing numbers over the season are increasing which is the main point.

the numbers playing rugby at all levels is increasing, it will also massively increase if Ireland can get to a semi or final.

• Advertisement

The point was how could someone who has devoted multiple years in Ireland and settled their family, for at least the duration of their career, be considered less suitable to represent Ireland than someone who happened to have a granny from here but otherwise had no link to the country, sporting or otherwise. Not that they were as Irish as bacon and cabbage. I dont have a problem with either scenario by the way. Would prefer we developed our own players as much as possible though. Which is now running at 82% in Rugby and 75% in Soccer.

For comparison - 100% of the world runners up Ireland U20 rugby team were developed here and 70% of U21 Football team

Rubbish, every Irish players playing professional soccer in the UK for a few years are all English now and CJ stander is Irish because he lived here for a few years ? I lived in the UK for 10 years and don't consider myself British . Roy Keane has lived in England all his professional life is he English ?. Typically rugby shite talking the high ground of who's more Irish , laughable stuff

In the Munster v Leinster semi final match, which was important game the numbers tell a different story.

Also Munster seem to get higher viewers than other provinces, strange for a sport that we keep getting told is Dublin and D4 only

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/07/10/munster-are-most-watched-side-in-urc/#:~:text=Munster's%20semi%2Dfinal%20win%20against,audience%20of%20the%20entire%20season.

I have no problem with either myself. There is a snobbery here from some that the rugby residence rule is superior. CJ stander is not Irish and never will be the same as John Aldridge, they used sport for their own benefit and fair play to them.

Is it always necessary to twist an argument to suit your point? No one said CJ Stander is Irish because he lived here. But once resident for an extended period of time here and being fully committed to jersey, why could he not represent Ireland when folks who have no link at all to the country other than a grandparent can?

And this argument is a distraction because it is been presented as being much of the team when it is actually only 3 players. And the requirements are now 5 years residency, same as to become a citizen. Are you suggesting naturalised citizens should not be allow to represent the country?

Not twisting anything just replying to the op who thinks you have to live in a country to represent it . Changing it to 5 years made a lot of sense , rugby admitted it's error. Anyway back on topic ,imho Andy Farrell should be given the same amount of accolades that jack received of he won the world cup. Would be a great achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't think your argument is portraying the narrative you think it does. The counties involved in the gaelic football match are of course just just two; Mayo and Kerry. Whereas, the counties involved in the rugby game are theoretically 18.

In the gaelic football match you have a captive audience from their support base of Mayo and Kerry of: 280k

In the rugby match you have a captive audience from their support base of Munster and Leinster of: 4M

So despite the captive audience being 142 times bigger for the rugby match it had exactly the same as the TV audience for the football. The fact that the audience numbers are more or less the same says it all about the lack of interest beyond the national team.

May want to check your maths there. You are off by a factor of 10.

It was also a National Final in Footballs 2nd competition in a sport with no international competition compared to a league game in the 2nd biggest club competition in a sport where international is huge. And even so, just because GAA is bigger in general does not mean rugby is not popular among the masses like some would have us believe.

220,000 for a league match held a week after the 6 nations finished, so robbed of most of the stars, is great viewing numbers for a niche sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A rugby game between Leinster and Munster in the URC is probably about the third teir of Irish rugby, it's behind internationals and European cup games in the pecking order.

A GAA football league final is much further down on the GAA pecking order, behind All Ireland finals, semifinals, quarter finals, Munster hurling championship provincial final, Munster hurling championship round robin games, provincial football finals.

So as I keep saying, rugby support is not deep, after you get past the high profile games the numbers fall off a cliff.

Actually, and this is something I posted here a few years ago, the first Munster v Leinster URC game back after stadiums were allowed full capacity post COVID failed to sell out Thomond Park.

Meanwhile, there were 8,000 at a McGrath Cup game,a pre season competition, in Killarney around the same time.

Rugby is niche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

What has viewership figures got to do with participation? In your rush to be offended you failed to read what I wrote. I never said it wasn't a popular sport on TV, what I said was that in terms of participation and the ability to play it in an informal basis like you can with football it is niche. I know not all rugby players go to private school, certainly my kids don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well we won, otherwise we wouldn't have played Italy in the Q/F.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Compare the 2 organisations strategic objectives. They look similar at a high level but drill down into them.

The FAI wants to build a fit for purpose organisation and a trusted and respected brand. No where in the FAI's strategic objectives is high performance mentioned once. The IRFU strategy talks abut a winning mentality and high performance standards.

The FAI are depending heavily on government money to enable their strategy, the IRFU plan to work off a 4% government funding model.

The FAI talks about developing a clear pathway for player progression, the IRFU has had one in place for years as outlined in their strategy.

The FAI has been a basket case for years, they can learn from other organisations (not just the IRFU) about how to manage themselves properly. I'm not sure they are there yet, sure their CEO couldn't be arsed moving to Ireland and does the gig from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Your research is up your hole.

There were only six Irish born players in the entire Italia 90 squad, plus two who were born in England but returned to Ireland as infants and grew up speaking with Irish accents.

The six "natives" were Packie Bonner, Stan Staunton, Kevin Moran, Ronnie Whelan, Niall Quinn and Frank Stapleton. The two who returned early were Paul McGrath and David O'Leary. So even if you include those two as being more "Irish" than the remaining 14 it is still only 8 out of 22 or 36%

Compared to the rugby squad for this world cup, only 8 out of the 33 were born outside Ireland. That makes the "native" contingent a whopping 76%.

Who are the eight "blow ins" on the Irish squad? Well, two were born in the USA ( Jeremy Loughman and Joe McCarthy) but, like McGrath and O'Leary, moved to Ireland as children and grew up here. Three more were born in Australia (Hansen, Bealham) or South Africa (Herring) and all are qualified to play for Ireland instantly on ancestral grounds.

The remaining three are all New Zealanders (Gibson-Park, Lowe and Aki) who availed of the residency qualification of the time whereby someone who lived and played in a country for three years could play for that country regardless of ancestry provided they hadn't already played at international level for anyone else. They came over here with no guarantee that they would make the national side in three years time. After all, what's to prevent another wunderkind like O'Driscoll or Van Der Flier emerging from the schools system while they're waiting for the alchemy of the naturalisation process to work its magic?

And remember that all eight live and play here. They contribute to Irish rugby, helping to create a professional sporting culture at home from which the next generation can take inspiration and participate, all the while supported every week by willing paying customers in four provinces. They are the sporting equivalent of today's educated young people who travel the globe in pursuit of their own excellence in any number of professional fields. They all seem to be thoroughly good guys and yet they have to put up with the sneers of digital-era peasants whose emotional and financial energies are devoted to shoring up the ugliest of sporting institutions namely the sports-washing, money grabbing, tax-dodging, globalised brand identities for hire that are England's major soccer clubs, controlled by the most corrupt ruthless spiv agents and lionised by the whores in tabloid media.

I'll take Bundee Aki and his infectious smile, utter professionalism and devotion to his team mates over any Lamborghini-driving English-born yob who deigns to play for "Eire" because his granny might have come from Cork and anyway, ain't no way he's making it to the English team if he's a stalwart for Hull, Preston, Rotherham etc You know, the sort of club that a true Irish soccer fan would turn their nose up at.

Why do you put #bekind on your signature when I never recall one kind post of yours?

The FAI is one of the most corrupt organisations in Ireland, my local soccer club(kids play) get nothing from them yet every year we get slapped with a FAI membership fee. The only reason the club has anything is fundraising in the area or government grants the local county councillor got

It the same group of corrupt gang at the top filling their pockets as it was with Delaney, when they want to show the FAI of the future it’s just one huge grant for the tax payer to pay, which will go nowhere but the same corrupt gang at the top and not flow into the game

The advice for a young player who is anyway decent is to run to England and that’s coming from the FaI

Just look at the policy from the IRFU, they want to keep every young player in Ireland and in the system to make Ireland stronger and stronger. The money given to them is flowing down to grassroots rugby, along with fundraising and grants.

The FAI is laughing at you. Which country in the World has a soccer body who has no interest in investing into their own league.

In reality the FAI and should be shut down, every person at a senior level fired and started again, an organisation which includes the North of Ireland and build a proper league for young Irish players.

• Advertisement

Yawn, the rugby players are better than the soccer players, the soccer players are better than the rugby players. My garden is huge !

Advertisement