Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2024 - The Squeezed Middle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Are you saying I can fix for a number of years and then go back to tracker? I was told this is not possible. Nothing mentioned in my contract about fixed rates.

Please link some further info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

What makes you think rates wont go down over a few years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I doubt theres many of those contracts left. Most of them say you can go back to a variable if you fix for a number of years but not a tracker.

Im also one of those that kept the tracker. I could have fixed @1.95% for 5 years but was advised again not to give up the tracker as over the entire length the tracker will usually be better overall - for the last decade Ive paid feck all interest.

Yep I could take my 1.95 and fix for few years but if the rates come down Ill lose the benefit of the tracker. If they keep going up after 2024 Ill look at it then. My own feeling is that inflation on the Eurozone will hit that magical 2% early to mid next year and rates will start to drop. Ill sit it out for a bit longer and see what happens.

In the mean time Ill be claiming my €1250 interest relief - take what the government gives you. Ive paid my share of taxes for 30 plus years so Ill gladly take that relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Used the journal.ie's calculator and I'll be €800-900 per year better off next year. Not much but better than nothing. I'd nearly rather the tax money be kept and used for infrastructure projects, social housing, heath care etc. €20 a week won't go far on an individual basis. FYI I earn approx €77k per annum in a salaried job so doing OK.

What grinds my gears is the energy payment nonsense. Taking public tax money and handing it straight to private energy companies. That will be the first question I'll have for any canvasser in the future anyway, why are we taking public funds and giving them to private enterprise instead of tackling the problem and regulating the energy market for the benefit of the consumers.

For the life of me I can't see how a single person on a lower income is supposed to carve out a decent life in Ireland. Can't buy a house, can't afford to rent, going to work just because they'd be fed up on the dole. The incentive to better oneself and build a decent life has been crushed by deregulation and being too far on the side of laissez faire capitalism.

I'm one of the lucky ones, have a wife whose income I could rely on to buy a modest house together. But I see many of our friends struggling to afford to raise their kids, and they're on good incomes. A few friends have gone part time because of childcare costs. Not worth working full time.

It's easy to see why we need to have inward migration, and why we take in single men. Who else is going to work when it doesn't pay to have a family. It'll all go t*ts up eventually when the migrants go home and we have no money to pay the pensions of an aging population. FYI, I'm not anti migrant, they're just a symptom of the hamster wheel of runaway capitalism that the Western world is all on.

Rant over. Off to enjoy my €20 for the week.

Post edited by almostover on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Does your crystal ball say that they`ll be minimum 3% for the next 5 years?

Like mine says they`ll be coming down next year.

Not even the best economists would bet on that one.

Its all about whats best for you and your situation - ride out the increases if you can and get back on to a low rate when rates drop or fix for a few years and have a known monthly out going. Theres no right or wrong in whichever people decide to do.

Personally my financial advisor who Ive trusted for 30 years told me not to give up the tracker and he did predict rates rises of what we have at the minute but even at that advised not to give up the tracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Obviously I cant link your contract, which is a legally binding. But if it says you automatically go back to tracker, thats what it means. Check this article about the tracker mortgage scandal.

But like Hellrazer said, theres not that many contracts left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

So the Christmas bonus for Social welfare recipients will take in more money than a minimum wage worker doing a 39 hour week during Christmas?

The tax relief for tracker mortgage holders who didn't fix is absolutely scandalous in my eyes, and will cost 125 million apparently because either a lot of people were too lazy to fix or maybe took the wrong gamble just to keep a tracker that had treated them so well for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Possibly the biggest change to any item in the Budget. The Vacant Homes Tax is going up from 3 to 5 times the rate of Property Tax. I hope this encourages the owners to put those homes back into occupation. That would be the quickest way to solve any shortage, and there are tens of thousands of such properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,052 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Single person on less than 40k there is absolutely nothing in this budget for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

16.89% effective rate of tax for that person.

Do some people expect to pay zero tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

But is the vacant homes tax actually being collected? I thought they had utterly failed at that too. Or maybe they have been talking about this tax for years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just on the mortgage interest relief, I'm stuck with a stinking vulture fund paying 9% and can't switch cause I don't earn enough. If any of you begrudgers want to swap your 2% fixed rate with me I'll gladly let you claim the few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

And if you have adult kids, they're probably still living with you, as they can't afford to move out.

Yet the Government can find billions for Ukranians.

I'm officially pissed off.

Not at the Ukranians, but at the Government.

And 7 million for mental health is beyond pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

The vacant property tax should only apply to those owning more than one domestic property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The refugee situation makes no sense. Seems racist to me that some people are prioritised over others, especially seeing Gaza being pounded again. But maybe that's me being lazy not looking up the actual details.

7m mental health spending will be spent in 3 months planning what to do with 7m.

Yes have an adult kid living with me and I wish they could move for theirs and my own sake. And yes, having to deal with a serious mental health issue of a loved one this past number of years and I'm just beyond broken because this issue should not have come to the situation it's currently in. And we were "lucky" to get the help we got. My other half is a full time carer.

I dunno. Things just feel like a house of cards and this country has been fluking it since the last property crash.

Nobody will begrudge you your few quid. It's the people who hsve decided to stick with their tracker and are now at ECB interest rates plus 0.5% or 1% (or whatever the deal they have is) that do not deserve 1 cent.

This relief could easily have been targeted at people paying obscene rates such as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

whatta loads of nonsense in this budget, elections cannot come too soon.. 👎️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Think il get an extra 6e a week next year, sorts me out for a coffee every Monday anyway 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yeah I know your right, it always seems a bit too much like hard work for the government to direct the money precisely where its needed

If you are Minister for Finance what would you have done differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

I know it's directed at someone else but if I was Minister for Finance I would have brought in an equivalent to the UK ISA. Wouldn't think its much of a vote winner though.

A great idea. Much better than the "scrap USC" nonsense that gets shouted too often. I did hear Michael McGrath saying he'd be looking at more favourable tax treatment of ETFs and exit tax so that would be a positive step.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,052 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The carers disregard raised to 900 PW is a big one for me and my wife. That's up 250 on the last 2 budgets after not moving for 10 years so that's a big difference so kudos there happy to see that, worth about 2k a year to us. If they would just stop taxing carers allowance next that would be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Yeah there's a department of finance review of the fund sector ongoing at the moment. Would like any tax changes to be wider than funds though. The €1270 CGT exemption also needs to be looked at.

Maybe if people could efficiently invest in financial markets it might reduce the speculation in property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

That's exactly why they haven't done it in the past, politicians in this country love property speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Esri- the economy is running at full steam n doesn't require more petrol thrown on it.

Government - we are committed to tacking inflation. Here's e14 billion to help- only a double digit increase on last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This crap about the FFG government being afraid that Landlords are leaving the market is completely made up. Why would they leave when they are doubling/trebling rental income??

This was a budget for the likes of Robert Troy. The Dail is full of landlords.

Commentary on landlord exodus grounded in ‘misinterpretation of data’ | Business Post

Commentary on landlord exodus grounded in ‘misinterpretation of data’

New Census data shows there are 54,000 more households in private rental sector than previously estimated, casting doubt over commentary that landlords are fleeing the sector

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Anyone know what the situation is with Child Benefit, someone told me that it's been extended to school kids aged 18 and still enrolled at school. But watching the 6.1 news there was no mention of this. Does anyone have any clarification on this? If true, It's a big move yet the news doesn't mention it.

Advertisement