Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I repeat again the numbers for rugby is growing and continue to grow

The thousand flying to France and to European games etc might be a hint that it’s more than a TV sport

Not sure how anyone can’t play rugby, all you need is a ball…:go to New Zealand for instance and you will see how kids play rugby all the time….

wait till next year and the men& women’s are in the Olympics with the 7s which is a lot easier version to play on the street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's as good of a coherent argument as we've gotten.

Honestly as I said I would take any person that is willing to move to Ireland, integrate into the community and give back to kids via camps etc

That some person who flys in and flys out as quick as possible to play a game. That’s just me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

All the people who hate Ruby..not a big lover of it myself. I'd think hard about watching a Leinster or Munster match if I was paid to. But as someone who loved soccer up to maybe 15 years ago, I absolutely hate it at the moment. There's just too much of it, we've been over saturated with it for years almost ever day or night for most weeks from August to May (into July in an even numberedbyear). The sensationalised coverage does me nut in and its really hard to get away from it at all.

But back to the rugby. I'll probably watch it Saturday night but wouldn't watch the other quarter finals. I won't be devastated if we lose like I would have been after losing to Italy in 1990, Holland in 1994 or Spain in 2002. But I'll be happy for them and Irish fans if they win.

Farrell, even if Ireland win the world cup will get platitudes similar to Jack Charlton in the late 80s and 90s. But it'll be much shorter lived and won't be looked back on with the same romantic affection 30 years later. Or even half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have already explained in Previous posts. Farrell is no where near the personality that Charlton was, Charlton really captured the public imagination in a much more competitive/popular sport. And Charlton’s popularity went beyond that sport itself. At a time when Ireland really needed a lift (an escape). It was a cultural change, a phenomenon. It brought the whole country together everyone felt invested in the journey. The country shut down during Ireland Italia 90 matches and Euro 88 Ireland v England was one of THE moments in Irish history nevermind sport.

I think Farrell would need to win the World Cup to even come close to Charlton level adoration. But I feel even then the celebration’s won’t have much impact beyond the rugby fraternity.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well if my analysis is up my hole, your reading comprehension is up your hole.

I'm not arguing that there were more Irish born on the soccer squad than the current rugby squad, the opposite in fact.

As I said I only had to glance at the rugby squad to know there was more Irish born on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I'll take Bundee Aki and his infectious smile, utter professionalism and devotion to his team mates over any Lamborghini-driving English-born yob who deigns to play for "Eire" because his granny might have come from Cork and anyway, ain't no way he's making it to the English team if he's a stalwart for Hull, Preston, Rotherham etc You know, the sort of club that a true Irish soccer fan would turn their nose up at.

Yikes.

The FAI are depending heavily on government money to enable their strategy, the IRFU plan to work off a 4% government funding model

The financial situation for both is very different.

Let's look at the IRFU.

They have a very wealthy support base.

Even twenty years ago they could command a higher ticket price for international games than the FAI.

They can get more money from corporate and sponsorship because they have such an affluent fan base.

They sold out their 10 year tickets in the Aviva in no time, while the FAI struggled to do the same.

And they have private schools to train and develop their upcoming talent.

The FAI have nothing.

Even though there are thousands more soccer fans in Ireland than there are rugby fans, these thousands of fans spend the majority of their soccer money on UK and European soccer, be that TV subscriptions, merc, trips to games etc

The FAI see feck all of the money spent by soccer fans in Ireland.

And there is not much they can do about it, the giant league on their doorstep is not going to shrink below the level of the LOI anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

England would have won that world cup, closeist they got, Germans got a very lucky goal

That some list of excuses. How many millions did the FAI burn away for the last 20-30 years? no fan should be making excuses for them.

2022 the FAI got 5.8m

IRFU got 2.2m and GAA 2.4m

The FAI books are available every year. I think you should have a look at the "nothing" they get.

Let's not forget the FAI had private investors paying manager wages etc, would that not be a very wealthy supporter base?

Plus according to this thread rugby is based out of D4 and nowhere else in the country, are you trying to say no wealthy people live outside of D4 or support soccer? because if i fly to UK on Friday it will be full of soccer fans. Why are they not staying in Ireland? well thats the FAI fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Actually maybe my memory is getting more awful in my old age, but who subsidised the Irish managers...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was a few million from recollection while the FAI was blowing money

Whoosh!

I know. Playing on my old man bad memory.

Rory mcgilroy adds a bit to the ulster rugby coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

His grandparents are from Mayo so not sure on the National pride part of the question

or did it mean as in Football v Rugby and not the Englishman part? .....well no I don't think it will be celebrated in the same way by Joe public, not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Jack and the boys gave us back hope at the end of the grim 80s. Outwith winning the RWC Jack will always be more fondly thought of. Rugby is still viewed as an elite sport played by rich boys whereas soccer is a working class sport with universal appeal.

It's changed a lot. There are kids up and down the country playing now. Most young fellas and girls follow soccer, gaa and rugby. They don't start thinking class distinction when they see Robbie Henshaw score a try. So many like Earls, Furlong, the Ulster lads aren't typical rich boys. Most of the Munster boys too.

Besides Farrell himself is as working class as Jack Charlton ever was.

This is just another, not so subtle thread, to pit soccer against rugby. You'd see it a mile away. If Ireland lose on Saturday the rugby forum will be full of small people coming on to goad. People with that mentality are absolutely useless, they are just filled with bitterness.

I think he does, but a millionaire handing millions to the FAI would contradict the point of the FAI having nothing and only rugby having rich supporters.

• Advertisement

Yes, I would have GAA football and hurling ahead of it, then soccer, then in reality horse racing, then rugby.

Can rugby outgrow GAA? no probably not

Should it look to outgrow soccer in Ireland? certainly when you compare the setup of the IRFU and the FAI. If I have a kid now who is talented and has the choice of soccer or rugby, well I will pick rugby. Not because I support rugby. BUt because the chance of that person making a successful paid career in Ireland is massive compared to soccer which requires them to move overseas at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It will never out grow soccer, not in a million years.

Firstly soccer will always have the bigger fan base here in Ireland and elsewhere because it has such a presence in the media both sports and otherwise.

For most people it doesn't matter what the FAI do, soccer is not the FAI, soccer is the Premier League, the Champions league, the world cup.

Soccer is everywhere.

Rugby is not.

Secondly, as someone else pointed out rugby is a far more technical game, so it's difficult for kids to play in a random or unorganized fashion.

Go to any green area in a housing estate or a farmers field where kids gather to play and they'll be more than likely playing soccer, sometimes they might have a hurley or two, but they rearly will have a rugby ball.

Back in spring 2007 there was a big discussion on Off The Ball about whether rugby was overtaking soccer in popularity.

This was at a time when Ireland were winning the Triple Crown at looking forward to a RWC and the soccer team had Stan as manager and had just spraped a win v San Marino.

But a few years later it was obvious that rugby would never be bigger than soccer, even though the rugby team had won the Grand Slam in 2009 it was the soccer team and their exploits under Trapp that were the story.

It will be the same this weekend, if Ireland beat NZ and the soccer team lose to Greece, people will be wondering the same.

But if the soccer team sort themselves out in a few years they again will be top dog.

go to NZ and they have a rugby ball 🤣

The soccer team is run by FAI so unless we can import the half of England we won’t be successful

The talented players will pick GAA or rugby is my point, the chance as to be successful and building a career is a lot higher at those sports

second captains had a better on discussion on why a young talented player would pick different sports, the result at the end was rugby gave them the best chance of success. As we seen with the current team, players still living at home or close to home are currently playing at top international and club rugby…..

As I said always wait till next year when the 7s is in the Olympics, men and women’s, with a huge GAA star in the womens

7s is a game which is easy to play on the greens instead of 15s

FYI in 2009 IRFU didn’t have a 7s program to talk about, now we have a men and women’s fighting for gold with the likes of Keenan moving from 7s to 15s to become one of the best players in the world in his position

Maybe it won’t pass soccer, maybe it will, but will be fun watching

From a soccer point of view, the 90s team might say they had a link to ireladn

But you are now talking about 3/4th generation people who have next to no link to Ireland. As we have seen the young talented players in England have zero interest in playing for Ireland instead of england

Plus from my own cousins, their parents still discuss Ireland but their kids and their grandkids have no interest. They are English.

Tie that in with the FAI total lack of interest in developing young Irish players unless they fall over them it’s not really a bright future. Plus it still up to the player to build their own career in England before the FAI will come calling to play for them.

The FAI should be building a league in Ireland, dump the current mess, have a route for young players to stay in Ireland till they are 20+ and then move to England as a pro and the success rate would be way higher. But the FAI will never do that, so that’s why I said they should be scrapped, along with the northern version

I agree with you.

The big difference is how that money is spent. IRFU are playing a blinder over the last couple of decades in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I dunno , my own experience is a little different and I understand it’s anecdotal.I live in Dublin City and both my sons played rugby , one with about 15 years playing till injury stopped, I’ve a couple of cousins from Crumlin/Drimnagh two of whom became club captains with a well known club , again this is also just personal experience. None of them went to private schools either.

it’s also worth looking at the amount of clubs appearing now in Tallaght , Clondalkin , Swords etc never mind the existing ones in the lines of Coolmine and Crumlin.

Two clubs just outside Dublin would be Barnhall and Ashbourne .

Ashbourne is known as Little Finglas , so ya know those kids are from family’s from ya know Finglas originally.

• Advertisement

I've been to New Zealand, twice, and I see that they have a rugby ball where here you would see a football (soccer or GAA) or hurley.

But we are not talking about New Zealand.

Also the popularity of soccer in Ireland doesn't depend on what the FAI or the national team does, it helps if the national team are doing well, but the popularity of soccer in Ireland depends more on how the EPL or the UEFA champions league is doing and being marketed, or whether the world cup is on in a time zone that gives it maximum coverage here.

And it's been that way for decades, the popularity of soccer in Ireland has been driven by the consumption of British media, and will always be, and that will always trump the efforts of the IRFU.

As for the Olympic 7s, it's a side show, like all Olympics.

And even though I fully appreciate Viki Wall as an athlete, she is not a superstar, she is obviously no David Clifford or Stephen Cluxton, and I'd argue that she isn't even a Cora Stanton.

Advertisement