Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fossil fuels always had that potential energy just waiting to be released. Wind turbines and solar don't have anywhere near the same potential with current technology. We would be far better served spending even 10% of the 100's of billions being bandied about for wind / solar and invest in a Manhattan style project to develop that new technology that would actually help us.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

That is happening as we speak, every renewable technology is under heavy development. Your really not convincing me that we aren't doing what's necessary.

Only a belief that it's ok to keep on emitting vast amount of co2 until we work it out could form the basis of your position.

I don't need to convince anyone. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Current wind turbines don't and can't have the same calorific output as fossil fuel equivalents. It's just not technically feasible. That's not me saying that, it's basic engineering principles.

We are going to be emitting vast amounts of CO2 anyway just to produce all these PV panels and turbines.

It's already been calculated that we can provide all our energy needs with renewable in relatively modest areas - we just need to get on with it. The fact that it's not as calorificly density is not a limiting factor.

Everything you say proceeds from your belief that there isn't a pressing crisis to solve and as such is irrelevant to solving the problem.

Incorrect as always. It hasn't been shown that all our energy needs can be met by renewables, not even close.

Yes, I don't believe there is a pressing crisis beyond the manufactured hysteria. We should solve the problem without this mythical sword of damecles hanging over us. Unlike you, I don't believe the chicken littles running around telling me the sky is falling down.

• Advertisement

I accept the IPCC assessment. What you "believe" is frankly irrelevant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Believing the IPCC assessment is one thing.

The question of whether the focus should be on adaption or mitigation is quite another and it is far from settled.

Do we, as a global society, spend many trillions of dollars speculatively, when the precise manifestation of local effects are fare from certain, or do we take that massive gambling stake and wait instead to apply it as matters arise....?

The IPCC hasn't shown that all our energy needs can be met with renewables. It also doesn't state the kind of climate catastrophe language you're fine of ether.

Of course renewables can meet our needs, it's just a matter of scaling up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

LOL. Said every inventor of the 99% of technologies that fail to scale. And we know about the scalability problems with renewables. Here's just one of them, repeated from the previous page since you obviously missed it:

From the FT (paywalled):

The world’s largest copper producers have warned that there is a lack of mines under development to deliver enough of the metal to keep pace with the clean energy transition.

<copyrighted article deleted>

Post edited by Beasty on

And yet the transition moves forward 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Of course.

Prime example is India importing more fossil fuels than ever before and China building coal power plants like there is no tomorrow. They sure are scaling up as they need to cover our "scaling up" and by the time they produce enough of solar panels for us they will have to keep going opening even more coal plants as earlier solar cells will have to be replaced. Never ending circle showing how stupid our virtue signalling become. Keep up the good work, planet and the kids will thank you for your heroic effort to save them. 🤣

What do you do when your government is a climate science denier? KNMI (Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute) is the Dutch national weather forecasting service and a division of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management. It has produced its National Climate Scenarios for the Netherlands 2023 report (PDF link).

Their selected scenario ranges are described in 1.3.4 on page 10:

We choose as upper and lower bound of projected global climate change (and associated global temperature change as the driver of regional climate change) a scenario for sustainable development (SSP1-2.6) and a scenario for fossil-fuel intensive development (SSP5-8.5)...

We opted for a large bandwidth between the KNMI’23 high and low emission scenario to emphasize the consequences of the international choices of mitigation policies, and to have a framework for national risk assessments.

The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the IPCC have long since abandoned the 8.5 scenarios (RCP 8.5 and SSP5-8.5) as implausible and say that the world is tracking below a SSP2-4.5 scenario. Why would the Dutch include it in their scenario planning? They gave their rationale in 1.2.1 on page 6:

SSP5-8.5 is the highest emission scenario and serves as a benchmark of no mitigation of climate change at all, although many countries have already implemented mitigation measures. Hence, the SSP5-8.5 pathway should be considered as an upper bound of greenhouse gas emissions. It can be useful for risk analyses in the context of climate adaptation in the sense of the precautionary principle. In the scientific literature the plausibility of SSP5-8.5 is debated (Hausfather and Peters, 2020).

Well that's flat out wrong. They are treating SSP5-8.5 as the business-as-usual scenario with no mitigation efforts. I thought we'd finally gotten over that oft-repeated mistake. That's not what the 8.5 scenarios are, nor ever have been. They model large population increase and dramatic increases in the use of coal and other fossil fuels. They don't represent any semblance of a plausible pathway let alone "business as usual".

It doesn't make sense as a precautionary principle either. It would be like my fire and theft car insurance charging me for protection against an asteroid strike. Sure, all sorts of bad things can go wrong, but you don't pick some other completely unrelated scenario to model them. You simply can't use that as a policy stress test.

They say the plausibility of SSP5-8.5 is debated but their referenced article -- Hausfather and Peters writing in Nature (PDF link) -- is literally titled: "Emissions – the ‘business as usual’ story is misleading". That article says:

A sizeable portion of the literature on climate impacts refers to RCP8.5 as business as usual, implying that it is probable in the absence of stringent climate mitigation. The media then often amplifies this message, sometimes without communicating the nuances. This results in further confusion regarding probable emissions outcomes, because many climate researchers are not familiar with the details of these scenarios in the energy-modelling literature...

Happily — and that’s a word we climatologists rarely get to use — the world imagined in RCP8.5 is one that, in our view, becomes increasingly implausible with every passing year...

Emphasizing ways of adapting to an extreme RCP8.5 scenario with around 5 °C warming in 2100 is out of step with the requirement to build resilience and reduce vulnerabilities in the near-term.

The KNMI document then goes on to say:

Some researchers argue that SSP5.8.5 could be more likely than was originally proposed. This is because some important feedback effects — such as the release of greenhouse gases from thawing permafrost (Friedlingstein et al., 2014; Lenton et al., 2014) might be much larger than has been estimated by current climate models.

This is particularly weird. Here they are actually plagiarising Hausfather and Peters from the aforementioned article. But they fail to include the immediate next words from it:

Yet, in our view, reports of emissions over the past decade suggest that they are actually closer to those in the median scenarios. We contend that these critics are looking at the extremes and assuming that all the dice are loaded with the worst outcomes.

I've copied much of the above discussion from The Honest Broker substack. It concludes:

I’m not going to mince words — In 2023, giving RCP8.5 official governmental status is scientific and policy malpractice. It will lock-in the use of an implausible climate scenario for the rest of the decade, even as climate experts know better.

So why has the Dutch government decided to include this unrealistic scenario? The rationale they give doesn't make sense. Could it be they want to keep the public scared and compliant? Do they want to show off the horrible future that they, in their governmental awesomeness, are saving the public from? Who knows! But it's pretty bad form.

What stats are you looking at? The transition is not moving forward. It is going backward. We may reach a plateau of global CO2 emissions sometime soon, but net zero by 2050 is for the birds under current green policies. In fact, the shortage of copper and other minerals may not only bring wind and solar efforts to a juddering halt, but hinder the development of other more appropriate technologies.

There is no cost effective strategy for adaption, it's a climate deniers wet dream.

The cost of mitigation is lower than the cost of adapting. Every climate change induced crisis drains away resources which would be far better used in mitigation. How many floods do you recover from before you are bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thing is, it isn't a global society, its by and large western capitalism driving this demand for sudden change. We're expected to continually jump through hoops and be hit further in the pocket when a large majority of the world contuine on the fossil fuel path. All the while, our government leaders cut off their noses to spite their face and refuse to even accept new fossil fuel projects in the short to medium term as a stop gap while we get to a more renewable generation model.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It is because the executive director of the KNMI is part of a green 'thinktank' pushing the Green Agenda. Sometimes the truth is more simple than expected. I spotted his name on a list a while ago.

And for your information: at the time of Al Gore's 'an inconvenient truth' around 2006 the BBC held a mini conference about climate change. Their statutes states they need to be unbiased and give opponent views space on their platform. They invited (as i recall) some 30+ 'experts' after which the BBC concluded they no longer needed to give climate change 'deniers' space in their programs. But 97% of the experts were non science activists pushing for renewables, mostly from the renewable industry or part of the Green transition thinktank organisations.

Someone once said:" the commission can come to a completely independent conclusion without interference....as long as i can pick the commission members".

And that is how it works..

The climate science always seems to be 'settled' because certain people say so. If they are in a position of power/influence they will insist on it as well as on a 'consensus'.

You always have to remind people that these are simple (political) statements not statements of FACT.

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Advertisement

97% is a fair and unbiased proportion of climate scientist (those who actually understand climate) who accept the reality of anthropgenic climate change. It was on the basis of this overwhelming consenus that led media outlets to decide to not give equal space to the 3% who denied anthropogenic climate change is real and serious.

... and lets be clear - when I want an opinion on my heart I go to a cardiologist not a **** oil prospector. The same with climate science.

See my earlier post in which i forgot to link your post to it.

The greens always latch on to the worse case scenario even when it is actually abandoned by official bodies (like the IPCC).

Instead they abandon official reports and say they are too conservative and seem to listen to alarmists claiming (speculating) it will be much worse. So, they will go with the science and consensus when it suits them but against when it doesnt. Not quite a settled stance now, is it !!?? But perfectly understandable if you have a strong bias based on a dogmatic ideology..It is the nature of the beast..

Science isn't and shouldn't be run on consensus. That's just an appeal to authority with no basis in science.

It's fair to say most academics agree that the earth is warming and that some of that is attributable to humans. There's is a small vocal cohort that keep banging the doomsday drum and are very good at getting their message out.

Now, away from questionable modelling and academic endeavour I have yet to see a coherent plan or strategy put forward by any energy expert(s) showing how it's feasible to fully transition from fossil fuels to renewables by 2040/2050.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Kenya is a bit of an outlier insofar as they are extremely lucky to have an abundance of geothermal energy which is dispatchable, unlike wind and solar, which is what we're going to be almost exclusively relying on in the absence of fossil fuel sources, at least as things currently stand.

Nonetheless, if "lots of grids" are 100% renewable, I'm not sure why you picked Kenya as the best example?

• Less than 50% of the population is connected to the grid to start with
    • Of those 50%, the consensus of success is that the grid supplied power "most of the time"
    • In aiming to electrify the other 50% of the population, and to be able to run the grid more reliabily for the existing 50%, they're looking firmly towards building their first nuclear plant this decade...

Sorry but I'm not going to be using Kenya as an example of how to do a 100% renewable grid anytime soon!

There is no cost effective strategy for adaption, it's a climate deniers wet dream. The cost of mitigation is lower than the cost of adapting.

That's your claim, to be substantiated. The thing is, the costs of adaptation are incurred as the need arises. You know you need to spend the money at the time you spend it. Mitigation is a completely different kettle of fish. Costs are incurred decades ahead of any fruit being borne. In fact, you have no way of telling if the costs had any positive impact.

And before you start quoting me the Stern report, you don't know the costs of mitigation. You don't even know if it's possible. Certainly current policies look set to price themselves out of existence with an energy commodities crunch that nobody seems to be planning for.

Every climate change induced crisis drains away resources which would be far better used in mitigation.

Every cent spent on mitigation drains resources that could be far more accurately targeted at adaptation. Or, at least, a combination of adaptation and development of energy technologies that can actually achieve a transition, unlike the current wind and solar-powered white elephant.

How many floods do you recover from before you are bankrupt.

An unlimited number. Total spent on extreme weather events in the US last year was 0.6% of GDP. That was about one third of GDP growth, and even that was an outlier. Hurricane Ian on its own represented more than two thirds of the costs. Normalised annual increase in costs from all natural disasters (not just weather) globally was 1.3% in the fifty years from 1970 to 2020 (source: SwissRe). In other words, costs of disasters are increasing more slowly than GDP.

On the other hand, the cost of last year's Pakistan floods was up to 10% of that country's GDP. That's what happens in an impoverished and corrupt country that didn't spend the money on adaptation that had been flagged as necessary years in advance. Poor countries face a rocky road no matter what. We certainly can't save them with windmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

I think it's fine trying to implement some policies but in reality for people to live there has to be an affordably alternative to not using fossil fuels that the greens want..We are a mile off that at present time and their policies are only putting a financial constraint on families who are struggling already.

By making the fossil option unattractive through taxation the cleaner alternative becomes the cheaper option.

It's one of the main reasons for the carbon tax.

We do similar approaches with other taxes e.g. Cigarettes, sugary drinks

No you do not comprehend what I am saying, of those people with the ability to have a useful opinion almost all agree that man is causing climate change. The reason they agree is because they understand the facts not that they simply agree with each other.

As I said before your verbage isn't of interest to me

• Advertisement

India is a good one to take a closer look at.

Similar to many emerging economies it has been slow to transition but the rate of change is now accelerating rapidly

Solar accounted for

• 1% of generation in 2018 (18% for all renewables)
    • 5% of generation in 2022 (23% for all renewables)

Its projected to account for

• 17% in 2027 and (35% for all renewables)
    • 25% by 2032 (44% for all renewables)

Over 65% of new generation now being added to the grid is for solar alone

In the Indian market, solar+storage is now cheaper than coal

In FY2023, the average cost of coal generation was Rs 4.26/kWh. At the same time, solar and storage costs have significantly reduced, with recent successful bids indicating levelized costs as low 4.04-4.34 Rs/kWh.

They currently have approx 68GW of solar with the 2032 target being 364GW

They also have huge investment going into storage for renewables

Thats just solar. When you look at wind they also have massive investment going in there too aiming for 140 GW of wind power by 2030

Sure India is using a lot of coal right now, no denying that at all, however as renewables gain more traction we'll see the same thing happen there as happened in Europe, America, Australia etc etc etc, coal will shut down as it simply can not compete.

Gas will follow in time too.

Advertisement