Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ours don't spend a whole lot of time idling 😉

Its not torque you need with 4wd its grip.. and a Diff Lock. Very few new 2wd tractors now either, We have 1 and its a classic, Still works every day in the winter too.

Weight is a big thing for grip too. Especially in very big tractors where weight is everything (Ie Big Buds, John Deere 9 series etc)

The Skid steer is really cool, It used Ball screws instead of hydraulics didnt it?

Yeah Id agree with that, Something that could even be produced on site instead of batteries. I'm really impressed with edisons truck, It can be fuel agnostic, just put whatever electrical generator in the front and off you go. A lot of the big mining stuff is moving to diesel electric too, and even one mine for a good bit of the road they have overhead power like the trolley buses.

Still waiting hard on the polaris ranger kinetic. No sign of it hitting our shores yet. The sooner we can get rid of the noisey 3cyc diesel the better.

Drive from glasgow to london, without leaving a 1 mile radius. That job is one of our most fuel intensive jobs. taking grass and chopping it and filling a trailer.

I'll take the 20% efficiency, was just picking numbers. Its also not like the trucks where you have space for all the batteries in the frame rails and such.

Theres really only 1 I know of so far is the t4 electric from new holland, but thats only a little un. and It does have fast charging!

https://agriculture.newholland.com/en-us/nar/products/tractors-telehandlers/t4-electric-power

But thats the thing, you would need one on site, what if your 5-6 miles from home, thats a 30 min round trip never mind the charging time.

These days with the short weather windows, when we're going we're going.. no such thing as a hour lunch break, 15 mins max and we're off again.

Not to mention the other 3 tractors working that day too, but they average a much more reasonable 8-9L/H.

Will be X + electric for the bigger plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

With such intense use of a machine, no significant breaks, no convenient fast charging, I'm afraid BEV is simply not an economical option for some time to come. I can't see hydrogen as a future option either, but supercapacitors / solid state batteries that can be charged from a stationary power bank could be an option, but likely 10 years away before that is cheap as chips (like fuel for BEV cars is now)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd say that's one place battery swaps would be very useful. Have a couple of packs charging while you work and swap when needed

Of course handling a 300kg would be a bit of a tricky task. Kind of thing a tractor would be handy for, except you just took the battery out 🤦‍♂️

Smaller modules might be the trick, but there's a point where it's too much of a hassle

Something that fits into a pallet truck might be the sweet spot between capacity and portability

Or something a forklift could handle, but then you need a forklift as well, or a second tractor with front loader

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Hydrogen is a phenomenal fuel.....and absurdly difficult to store. Has to be compressed absurdly or cooled to liguid gas temps. Also has the annoying habit of leaking due to the very small size of the atoms worming its way through things. Ohh, ahem.....also is explosive.

Syntectic diesel like they are growing from algae could be an option for a green fuel for tractors. Or perhaps if battery prices come down. you could have a couple of 100Kwh modular battery packs. So you could be using modular pack #1 while #2 is charging, then 2-3 hrs later you swap them out. Course you'd be paying for 2x batteries (or more), but it would get around the charging issue if the packs were relatively cheap. Burning 20L of diesel isn't cheap either.

Just musing some thoughts.....

• Advertisement

200l of diesel in a day, not 20l

I guess a solution depends on how often you do this. If a few times a month, then a battery solutions starts looking like a real option. You could have a 100kWh pack on the tractor and a 300kWh pack in the barn. Start the day with both full, then after a quarter of the day when tractor is empty, parallel the tractor to the barn, this will extremely rapidly charge the battery up to near full again (during breakfast break), do the same again for lunch and mid afternoon breaks and by the end of the day you will have used all 400kWh and job done, another few weeks time to charge the barn battery up and the battery would have enough charging overnight to be ready for lighter work again the next day

I expect NaFePO4 chemistry to be down commercially to about half what we pay for LiFePO4 now shipped and landed from China, so about €60 per kWh or €24k for 400kWh. Cost of 5c electricity €2400 for 5 years

Twice a month burning 200l of diesel costs €34k over 5 years, so yes it would be a good business case with a ROI of about 4 years. Could even be viable plan right now with current battery prices for a ROI of about 8 years. Thoughts @graememk?

Also your 400kWh makes a nice battery for the rest of the machinery while the tractor isn't needed, or sell power to the grid during peak times for extra income

Aye, lots of benefits of having a battery that is far bigger than you thought you needed. How do I know? 😂

Alternative business model with the modular batteries; rent them instead of buying them outright

When the packs aren't needed they spend their life in a grid battery site and make money doing balancing

I have no doubt you could buy cells and make the batteries for less than you'd spend on renting them for a single year.

• Advertisement

Diesel doesn't cost us that much. Gasoil and Take the vat off it's still kicking in around €/litre.

Once that sort of power is being used I dare say we wouldn't be on a domestic supply anymore and would need more than the 3 hrs! And three phase.

Or massive off grid solar and storage.

I can foresee having massive batteries at the yard though for doing the likes of that on site.

Who knows we could be feeding digesters instead of cows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

What's your total diesel usage per year Graememk? I guess you must have some storage on site for the tractors?

Just fill up often 😂, local co op does a group scheme with a supplier so just text at the start of the week and a lorry arrives in the next day or so.

Not contractors so there's a flurry of use in the spring for planting, again at silage, then at harvest, but other times is quiet.

Yeah I agree, but I think it's also safe to assume the majority of customers will just want something ready made and off the shelf

Also you wouldn't be renting them all year, at least not multiple packs, maybe 1 or 2 assuming they're 100kWh each

You'd rent extras when needed and the vendor puts them to use as a grid battery at other times so they aren't a sunk cost that's sitting idle

Could be container sized..I wonder how many batteries to go in a container?

We are talking @graememk here, not your average customer who wants ready made off the shelf, with a pay back period of 30 years 😂

Very true, too impatient/tight to buy off the shelf. Just buy the tools!

Only reason for anymore current expansion of batteries would be if I couldn't run a heatpump on 100% night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Hey folks,

I have an unused 5 core 2.5mmsq swa cable going from the attached garage to side lawn where a ground mount can be located - ~20m from garage. It used to connect to a fountain pump, which is long gone.

The cable comes in and up 1m to a dead junctionbox. The garage has has no ceiling so no issue in running a cable from the junction box back to the consumer unit via the attic.

Question - how big of an array do you think I could get with using 2 cores or even combining the two pairs of 2.5mmsq or is this cable a non-runner?

Are you thinking of putting DC from the panels down that cable?

And have the consumer unit in the garage?

Generally PV is run on 4mm2 cable, I suppose a single string of 10 panels (about 4 kw) could be done if you double up the pairs.

Although if going bigger, I'd be going for a new cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I was thinking having the inverter outside at the ground mount, so AC over the 5core.

The plan would to run 6sq or larger in a few years which will exit the back of the house from the main consumer unit.

But for the short term, use the 5 core as its there at the side of the house.

No consumer unit in garage. Garage will be converted to home office. So no issue having a small breaker box there on the wall for where the cable comes in. Then it's a 15m run to consumer unit where the electrician could run 6sq twin and earth back to.

10x 430w = 4300w / 230v = 18.9a

With doubling up 2.5mmsq, I was hoping for 2-3 additional panels.

Looking at ground screws instead of a concrete bases for the unistrut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Between Bad Gateway errors and Something Has Gone Wrong messages, Boards is impossible to use at the moment. 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

Lonely Planet should do a book, Boards.ie on a shoestring.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

9% VAT on electricity and gas extended in budget for another 12 months.

Plus another €450 in 3 payments from January

Also they're doubling the tax free allowance for export payments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

Is that fit allowance from next year or this?

Well time for some very random time wasting, found the video below which I thought was a good laugh

Okay so it's a video game playthrough, you've been warned 😉

The game is Factorio, a game about building automated factories which is probably more addictive than crack.

Honestly there must be a few people who starved to death playing it because they spent all day optimising their conveyor belt layout and didn't eat

This particular video is of a mod called Seablock, where you have nothing to start with other than a tiny patch of land and one rock to mine to some resources

The only way to get more resources like iron or copper is to distill seawater and chemically leech the trace minerals from the residue

One of the biggest challenges is electricity, because your resource gathering is so energy intensive and land is limited it's hard to power everything from wind or solar (particularly since you can't build turbines on water, that'd be too easy)

This player comes up with a pretty novel solution, he used automated farms to grow beans which he then processed into biofuels. The waste material was composted and the excess CO2 was pumped into the farm so it became a semi closed loop

So that got me thinking, how much energy can you get from beans? They've a high calorific value so it must be good

Well, time to engage in some unproductive labour 😁

Turns out someone has already thought about the same thing, found the paper below on using whole bean crops as feedstock for a bio refinery

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0308521X15300354

Of course, I still think biofuels are mostly smoke and mirrors, but it makes me wonder; what would happen if you chucked a few bags of expired dried beans into a pellet burner 🤔

Given the size and shape, they should make it into the fueling system without jamming. Would they burn, or just gum up the whole burner...

I suppose it's lucky that I don't have a pellet stove and won't be trying it out 🫣

Have sank far too much time into factorio.. the factory must grow.

Glad I'm not the only who's ended up addicted, spent 4 hours one evening messing around with smelter layouts and still never got it right

I actually feel like the game is a pretty good representation of what's wrong with a lot of modern industry

You CAN in theory run the game to the end without using much fossil fuels beyond the starter factory. If you get solar and accumulators early you can use renewables to power your base

But, the resource spend is enormous and you'll always be constrained on production. So it forces players to be efficient rather than have massive overproduction of the main resources

Most players (including myself) just go for the easy option and end up creating a ton of pollution which brings more attacks from the biters

I just think there's an interesting moral dilemma built into the game 😁

• Advertisement

I kinda feel like it's a bit of a paper tiger (or whatever the giveaway equivalent is)

Yeah they raised the allowance, but how many households will ever see a benefit of it, particularly if deemed export is ending

There's a bunch here who will be exporting that amount, but it's also probably fair to say that the regular posters here don't represent the average consumer

And with Flogas cutting their FIT rate, that could be a sign of things to come

Advertisement