Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponcership

Options
  • 09-10-2023 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭

Im looking to sponsor a team or event, how can I go about doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Talk to the team or event initially. Do they want your help? (An alcoholic brand for a youth football team may not go down too well).

What are you objectives going to be? How much are you willing to spend? Do you have a team/event in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭pgj2015

any team will do really. its not an alcoholic brand.

its just about getting my name recognized, don't want to spend a lot really, not more than 1,000 anyway.

I love soccer so maybe something related to that.

I would like to sponsor something soccer related in a poor country at some stage but maybe that is for another day.

Ok. Will you be doing this on behalf of your company or personally?

Do you know where your local soccer team plays? If you check their website see if they have a club sponsor or are each team sponsored by different companies. Most teams, even the League of Ireland teams, would welcome any sponsorship money coming their way.

If you sponsor the shirts of a team/club maybe you can donate the shirts after every season to a team(s) in Africa. They would also welcome you with open arms.

I own the company.

I will check the local soccer team. and see about League of Ireland, I know you can sponsor the ball for each match for some teams.

Or you could talk to your staff and see if any of them or their family are involved in a local team. Good for staff morale and good for the local team.

• Advertisement

• Administrators Posts: 14,041 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

A number of off topic posts deleted.

I see from your other post you’re a taxi driver. I think it’s a great idea to sponsor a local team and have your phone number on their shirts. You could claim the cost against tax also.

I dont think you usually would do that? with the phone number, just the business logo usually. That should be enough id say, they can google the business name then to get the contact details.

If you have a business name/website fair enough. I would stay local though as opposed to looking at League of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just out of interest - is there a goal from the sponsorship?

I ended up sponsoring multiple teams/golf classics/competitions in GAA and Soccer and I have to admit I saw no direct monetary return beyond followers on social media when the team/organisation I sponsored tagged my company.

My business would be very much in that field too, so I was a little disappointed and I’m telling you this going by my experience; Once you end up sponsoring one thing, they do keep looking for more and more in different ways.

If it’s purely looking to help a team out with funds etc that you want to do though, then fair enough.

Yeah, you’re very lucky if you get a return on any sponsorship deal. It’s more of an altruistic thing - giving back that’s tax deductible.

Noticed this in an earlier comment:

'its just about getting my name recognized, don't want to spend a lot really, not more than 1,000 anyway'

I'm not sure of the perfect formula to getting recognised is for you, since I don't know the area you're in, but sponsorship probably isn't it. The entities you sponsor won't give a shíte about you bar the money you're giving them. At the level you'll be sponsoring, patrons won't either. It's different to having your name plastered all over everything like Paddy Power on TV broadcasts etc!

I suppose what you'd often see at a local level is a bar/restaurant sponsoring a local team, but generally you'd see the team use that as a base for post-match drinks/food, or have the food of that place delivered to them etc.

I think Regeneron in Limerick have committed to sponsoring 50 Ladies Teams this year. That is purely for CSR and Tax Deductible reasons.

Its just about getting the name out there, not about making more money, I had a bit of an issue in the past of someone trying to copy my business name. so if anyone tries that in future this will help I think.

I dont care if other groups look for sponcership off me in future, I will just say no if it doesnt suit me.

Sponsorship would not help with the above concern

I am sure. Just blindly doing sponsorship doesn't mean anything. You'd need to actually be trading and BE SEEN trading.

Once you're doing that and have proof of it; people can't start copying your name. Sponsorship alone means F all.

I am trading for years.

I just thought it would be another point about having you business name well known.

Advertisement