Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2024 - The Squeezed Middle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

Increasing the minimum wage is pointless if it's purchasing power is eroded. The cost of everything will go up so employers can cover it. Bear in mind your also looking at pension rights and sick pay. These things are all great in theory but they come at the cost of increasing the cost of living for everybody.

If the government took concrete steps to increase the supply of housing which led to lower rents then people would genuinely have more money in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Dont see why a special case should be made for that - maintenance of a house is ongoing and never-ending - and getting more expensive no matter how long you've lived in it.

I was in my house 20 years before I could afford to change the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

Less than 10% of people earn minimum wage, a small increase in their pay is not going to meaningfully impact a largely global inflation problem. Almost everyone else is getting pay increases.

• Public Sector pay deal

• Private sector wage increases (mid to high income earners)

• Social Welfare increases

It would be very odd to deny the lowest income workers an increase and further erode the gap between working full time minimum wage vs collecting benefits. If one even exists anymore. Fully support increases to the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

In relation to availing of mortgage interest relief, correct me if I'm wrong, but when the relief existed previously, it was applied at source by the banks. Hence, there is no need to seek the relief, the bank will deduct it from the monthly amount owed each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

Building costs caused my home insurance to go up by 1/3 this year. Crazy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

I get that and I don’t expect a perfect house instantly, at all, but there were so many things that needed to be done that I ran out of money relatively soon, despite initially having a healthy amount left over after buying. For example, the cost of rewiring is prohibitive, despite me probably needing it for safety reasons at this stage.

It’s just a bit galling when you see people get €30k towards the cost of a new build (yes I know this arguably inflates the price, but at least you feel like you’re getting help) when you get nothing if you cannot afford a new build- which barely any single people in Dublin can. Something like 40% of those who avail of Help to Buy can afford the house without it anyway.

Oh and you can’t get a renovation mortgage so you have to get a personal loan at 7% for any larger jobs that need doing. Yes this is true for everyone but just thinking aloud about how first time buyers can be helped…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

And I fully agree that my ancient house is better than renting, and I’m very happy to have it overall, so I’ll leave it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Will my bank automatically handle all the interest relief stuff on my mortgage or do i have to apply? My fixed term ran out start of 2023 so it was on standard for the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The minimum wage should be €15 imho

€200 for the Living Alone Allowance.

€400 for the Carers’ Support Grant.

€400 for the Disability Support Grant, Blind Pension, Invalidity Pension and Domiciliary Care Allowance.

€400 for the Working Family Payment.

€300 for the Fuel Allowance payment.

€100 Qualified Child Bonus.

^ When are these lump sum payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Very good post.

Agree. Have seen much worse budgets but jebus they should be thinking more outside the box when the heat is off and we have corporate tax billions to spend.

That money tree is going to start to shrivel next year and here we have yet another unremarkable budget just tinkering around the edges, trying to keep voters generally happy, but not doing enough to solve any of the major problems in our society.

Homelessness, child poverty rent crisis. energy prices, our crashing health service...

Lot of waste here, giving to wealthy people as well as ordinary workers and not enough targeted help.

It is almost the €1000 giveaway for everybody leaked a few months ago by those government tds but denied angrily by MMcG and Paschal !

Of course we will all take it, happy for a few days but it doesn't fix anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thats another thing.. A few of these measures pushed out to Sept 24. Sure thats nearly up to the next budget !

If they want to help people, do it now or at least from Jan 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're still quids in though compared to if you hadn't fixed.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Also they've had school meals for many years in the UK but kids who qualify for free school meals are stigmatised. We need to not do that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The whole country is on some sort of welfare it seems. The funniest one was living alone allowance. Bloody hell what's Ireland turning into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

How much is it to do a house rewire on 3 bed semi these days? Mine cost 9k five years ago, i shudder at the cost today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Think you apply through revenue online, you need mortgage statements to prove how much extra your paying in 2023 compared to 2022, we are paying €500 a month extra this year so any help at all is great

The living alone allowance is basically aimed at pensioners who live alone. Its much more difficult for them than say a retired couple on two pensions or one claiming for the other. For a lone pensioner on basic old aged pension, its much much harder to keep the roof over their heads and pay for all necessary repairs, heating etc as these things cost the the same for one person as for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭Cordell

500 euros increase? That's mad, is that because you ended the fixed rate period, or just the increase because of the interest rates? Can I ask how much is the monthly repayment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

While excise increases (fags, fuel, booze) take place from midnight these are not sales taxes - they are paid when the goods leave the relevant bonded area. What this means in practicality is that any shop who has whacked their fags up today is ripping you off for extra profit unless they just happened to get a delivery this morning. In reality, chances are they've stocked up on months worth of them to cash in on the excise increase for themselves - Tesco were caught doing this before when booze went up in a well flagged move - they made a big deal about not raising their prices for a month, but one of the papers found that they'd brought in something like six months worth of stock before the budget and were making gravy for five months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It's the way things work now, government picks up the bill for everything.

Mica - government will pay.

Can't afford electricity - government will pay.

I remember seeing a video of a young one complaining her HAP was "only" €1,800 a month and the apartment she wanted was €2,000 so where was she supposed to find the extra €200.

This country seems to have a lot of spongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭deezell

If you're a retired semi state or public servant with a self funded superannuation pension in the region of €25-30k annually, married or single, there is no increase in income other than the tax credit reduction of €1.91/week and a reduction in USC of about €1.50-2.00 per week. If married and your partner has their own contributory Stamps/PRSI pension, even partially, their increase on this by up to €12/week will require a tax credit of €130 to remain tax free, so the extra €30 comes out of the main income joint credits, reducing the budget benefit on the main pension to about €2.80 - €3.50 per week. You could go mad on that altogether. I can already hear the squeezed middle retiree conversations. " You know that €12 you got in your...", 'Get lost! Thats mine'. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That person on €30,000 in 2024 will pay €2,510 in tax. That is less than 8.4% of their income.

Genuinely curious here...what percentage tax rate do you think they should pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...or maybe modern political and economic ideologies are actually failing more and more, requiring the state to step in, we re still largely operating under so called 'trickle down' based ideologies......yea right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm getting 50e a month extra. Which always seems to be how it works out on budget day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

It was applied at source, but it was only applied when instructed by the Revenue and this was only done when it was requested by the Customer.

there is always a requirement to seek the extra reliefs.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

This is so true, the focus on budget day is always based on incremental move and ignores the big picture totally.

If we somehow used the money tree to reduce income tax to zero on income below €40k, you can be sure the following budget there would be uproar that those on less than €40k aren’t getting anything from the tax ‘cuts’ (we haven’t actually seen cuts this year, merely indexation less than inflation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Mortgage got sold to a vulture fund. €1100 last year, now €1600. Its a nightmare

Advertisement