Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think there is a strong whiff of Winter of Discontent that did for Callaghan as the whole workforce were taking it in turns to strike - sound familiar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Parallel to that speculation about election blowouts, a latest poll has labour up three with no conference bounce for the Tories.

No surprise really cos that conference was nothing short of a PR disaster as far as I could see. I missed the admittedly noble idea to have the country quit smoking for all the HS2 fallout and fringe or conspiratorial garbage espoused by other speakers. Or indeed the presence of Nigel Farage. This was a party not even trying to appeal to a cohort of voters it must reckon it has lost, simply gone F It and indulged in Trumpian populist waffle.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Labour going all in for a certain demographic with their new membership cards. Not my cup of tea but I'm sure it'll be popular with the people they're looking to woo back.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thought for a second it was the UK version of MAGA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If an Irish party I was a member of put out such a jingoistic, flag-shagging membership card, I'd resign my membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I am heartily favour of more progressive movements trying to reclaim symbols that have been hijacked by the populist right.

So would I. But the UK Labour party is not operating in Ireland, and Irish cultural responses to flagshaggery are not really relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

^^^but, 'flagshaggery' is such a great word. +1 for that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,652 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If an Irish party had a card with a tricolour and wanting to "put the country first" no one would bat an eyelid because these would be perfectly normal things outside the feked up post Brexit landscape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nah, I'd find it exceptionally weird here too. Sort of stuff you'd find on the far right parties output

For what it's worth, I believe the FF membership card has a picture of Constance Markievicz on it, while SF has a youthful Tom Barry. I have no idea who or what appears on a Fine Gael membership card.

National symbols on a card I wouldn't find weird at all but what I do find pointless is using a card as a canvasing tool when it's only the die hard party members will ever have one anyway.

And also the timing is clearly suspicious.

Oh, the timing's fairly obvious. There'll be a general election in the next 12 months or so.

I don't think the target audience is non-members/swing voters/the politically disengaged. It is, for the reason you point out, the party membership. The purpose is to prepare them for, and hopefully get them to buy into, some of the positions the party will be adopting/signals it will be sending. These include (1) we emphasise common and collective endeavours over Tory individualism; (2) we are not ashamed to express this in the language of patriotism; and (3) we work for the whole country, unlike those horrid Tories over there who only got into politics so that they they could look after themselves and the chaps they know from their days at Eton.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Starmer promises, 'a decade of renewal'. He's right, the only way is up. If the British people cannot see the difference between him and Johnson, Truss and Sunak, WTF?

After Johnson vs. Corbyn a lot of British people have simply switched off. I think Starmer will be out of office by 2030 in any case.

To be fair, Starmer has worked quite hard to avoid pointing to any differences between himself and the Tory PM du jour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oooof!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Well, I think it's a deliberate tactic. Starmer doesn't want the political discourse to be about him; he wants it to be about the Tories. Objectively, they've been such a truly awful government that, the more attention is focussed on them, the more people talk about them, the worse it is for them. So he's trying to avoid giving them any space to rally the troops or appeal to the uncommitted by attacking him and making the conversation about him.

And, if we go by the opinion polls, it's a tactic that is working pretty well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

What Starmer, in 2029, you mean?

Tough one to call, that. Stability may help labour in government compared to the Tory mess. That could get them a 2nd term but who knows what lies ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No I think Labour will have an uphill battle as well. Not only do they need to fix the broken economy and society of the now, all the medium to long term stuff will only metastasise across the years. The Tories and Brexit has ruined Britain but the attack dogs in the right wing media will make sure the blame gets planted at the feet of Labour for not fixing it all immediately. It's a no win government whoever replaces the Tories really.

[You mean 2029, obviously.]

There is a risk that, by not campaigning on distinct policy alternatives, Starmer comes into office without a mandate to do anything radically differently, and so is committed to trying to implement inherently bad Tory policies, just with a tad more competence that the Tories can muster, which of course can't end well. But:

1. I suspect that, closer to the election, Starmer will come out with more policy alternatives.
    2. Even to the extent that he doesn't, with his likely large majority he can introduce new policy initiatives without being stymied in Parliament. He will not be penalised by voters for not sticking with the Tory policies that, at the 2024 election, they decisively rejected.

Starmer's real problem will not be a lack of mandate. It will be that there are no possible policy initiatives which can rapidly reverse the cumulative effect of 13 years of increasingly dysfunctional, delusional and dishonest Tory rule. In 2029 the UK will still not be in great shape. The best that Starmer can hope for is that by then there is a sense of having turned a corner, of having begun the climb back.

Possibly one of the reasons for not promoting radical new policies at this stage is that it is difficult to do that and also communicate the message "this will take time to work". By not promoting new policies Starmer avoids creating the impression that he has promised a rapid improvement, and so avoids a sense in 2029 that such a promise was broken.

The other thing that Starmer can hope for in 2029 is that the Tories will still look like a delusional, ungovernable rabble. Right now the party seems to be fully aware that it's going to lose the next election badly, and it's shaping up for an orgy of blame, recrimination and internecine competition as different factions seek to seize control of the party after Sunak has jetted off to a new life in California. With any luck the loonier factions will either seize control, or they will be constantly sniping at and undermining whatever unfortunate does seize control, and the Tories will still not look like a credible alternative government in 2029. There's every prospect that their defeat in 2024 is going to be on a scale that will take at least two terms to recover from.

If the polls and the scale of Tory defeat come true then I can't see them being able to get it together in time for a win in 2029.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It will depend on who becomes the second leader after Sunak; the first replacement will be a headbanger for sure and we have a smorgasboard of candidates for it. They will be gone after a byelection or two and well before the next GE. The question is if there's someone sneaking up who's actually competent to build a base to bring Tories back towards the center (but still very much right of center) to actually mount a challenge (would be someone coming in with a new vision after the slaughter). If not Labour will have a second term, possibly with support required (because Tories will make gains simply because they are not in government at the time). After their second term however they are going to be voted out again because Tories history will then be to far in the past to matter and having spent that long in government everything will be put at Labour's feet and we're back to Tories for another two to four governments and Labour will swing left with a new leader (as the reason they where voted out was not left enough policies).

The problem is I don't see a Tory or Labour government in the next decade actually do something about the root cause of the problems they face (i.e. Brexit); they will polish the turd but it's still a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Many commentators had written Labour off in 2019, including many in the party, who felt it would take two elections to overhaul the Tories.

While you'd think they should get a 2nd term, there is too much volatility to be sure of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Historically, it would be unlikely for the next Labour government to only win one election.

Since the war only once (Ted Heath 1970-1974 government) has the new governing party failed to win the next election. Everyone else has got at least a second term of sorts - with some minorities governments, coalitions and confidence/supply arrangements in the mix. But clearly there's a combination of voter patience and incumbent advantage in the system.

Think I've got it factually correct, not the most easy table to read. And it's early!

List of United Kingdom general elections - Wikipedia

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Labour need to reform the FPTP electoral system. Failure to do that renders them to allow the historical pattern to continue.

Reform needs to be radical, and does not need a referendum because the HoC is paramount. Might as well abolish the House of Lords while they are at it - replacing it with a directly elected Senate. There was no referendum to create the Supreme Court.

The new constituency boundaries favour the Tories and no backlash - even from Labour. That suggests they would get away with substantial constitutional reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

yeah, I could only see the likes of the National Party creating a dirty nappy membership card.

• Advertisement

Labour want the historical pattern to continue, since it regularly delivers them government with more power and less accountability than they are ever likely to attain under a proportional representation system.

Basically, the FPTP system works to entrench two dominant political parties, who are given power disproportionate to their popular support, and the expense of (a) all other political parties, and (b) voters. For obvious reasons, both of the dominant parties are highly motivated to see this arrangement continue.

Advertisement