Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

if my calcs are right 1.07 to charge the PHEV per night if needed does about 60km, even if I have to charge everynight e7.50 per week, used to spend 50 to 60 a week on petrol, thats if a full charge is needed every night, currently around a fiver for a full charge (all + vat) gonna cost me 100 early leaving from EI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Just re-signed up to Energia dual fuel - Elec @ 32.94 and Gas @ 10.07

No EV so think this is the best I could find, though Yuno looks good for elec......

Post edited by bidiots on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SSE now have a Smart 24hr plan available. No benefit over staying on a non-Smart plan (rates are the same as their regular 24hr plan) but it does mean that if you switch to a time-of-day type Smart Plan you can at least switch back to a 24hr plan if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Got my first flogas bill. €254 for two months. My last 3 bord gais bills where €462, €404, €441.

Already making a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are you sure you can switch back? I don't think you can. When you try to switch providers you can only avail of smart plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my point is that this is a Smart plan - AFAIK it's the first Smart plan to appear with a single 24 hour rate. Some people further up the thread were complaining that their smart meters had been activated and they were now stuck on time-of-day plans, well this is a way to go back to a 24 hour plan with an activated Smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It’s good to have another option thanks for sharing

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

For those considering Yuno Energy just beware that Yuno Energy will activate your smart meter or put in a ESBN request for a smart meter if not already installed (from their T&C's):

2.4 The Variable Discount Plan Tariff is dependent on us obtaining your half hourly metering data from ESBN, accordingly if you wish to sign up to the Variable Discount Plan Tariff you must have a smart Meter installed or consent to its installation when requested to do so by ESBN. Due to applicable industry rules for smart metering once you move to a Variable Discount Plan Tariff, it is not possible to revert back to a non-smart Tariff.

2.5 If you refuse to allow ESBN to install a smart Meter at your Premises or if you no longer wish to provide ESBN or us with your half hourly smart metering data you will become ineligible to avail of the Variable Discount Plan Tariff. We reserve the right to move you to a different Tariff or terminate the Contract. If you move to another Tariff we may request a deposit from you.

These T&C's are the same for their Fixed Discount Plan.

On the other hand, for those that already have an activated Smart meter, Yugo has the cheapest 24Hr rate as a Smart Tariff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Anybody know if the Energia extra discount + credit has been actually pulled or not???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

If anyone wants to get the yuno price then one big switch are offering €20 credit if you go through them, it’s not much but it might buy a coffee lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Zorton

We have a Smart Meter but still choose to stay on the Standard 24hr Rural rates. Bord Gais 25% discount contract up on the 27/10 with our last bill being €619 (inc of 25% discount with rate of 44.34c). We seem to use a lot of electric and are just residential with no EV but wondering what would be the cheapest and best electric option to move to on 27/10 ?

Have read through this thread and seems to be Yuno Energy at the moment with the lowest rates ? I had not heard of them prior to reading about them here - are they reliable? I work from home so Elec and Broadband reliabilty are essential for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

That is schneaky and sets a poor precedent. Essentially means all the companies can refuse discounts if you don't sign up to a smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Choosing an electricity supplier has no effect on energy supply reliability. You're getting (the same) electricity from the same network operated by ESBN. Your choice of supplier decides who you pay for the kWh you use, and on what terms, and quality of customer service, but not the actual energy supply. Yuno is the newest supplier, so no one will have much feedback on dealing with them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

EI only offering 5.5% discount giving a rate of .3680 per unit rural and €342 standing charge also €50 if you remain with them and another €50 if you switch to the smart meter.

Yuno working out cheaper and can’t get a rate from Waterpower as yet. Retention phone number is 01 9025245 if anyone needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

So is it so best to go separate suppliers? Sse for electricity and energia for gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Don't think this materilised unless I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just confirmed on RTE:

Minister Donohoe said that all households will receive a further set of credits to assist with energy bills over the winter period.

Three credits of €150 each will be provided between the end of this year and April of next year.

A €300 lump sum payment will be made to recipients of the Fuel Allowance in the last quarter of this year.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

3 x Credits of €150

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

As in, if you're a heavy user, they've the cheapest unit rates?

Or if you're a miser?

As in, if you know your usage, the rates might suit on dual plan. Or separate companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Good news for those selling a substantial amount back to the grid. Budget 2024

Households who generate electricity in their own homes and sell the excess back to the national grid will see an increase from €200 to €400 in the amount of this income that is exempt from income tax, USC and PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

So nothing we didn't already know previously.

Sound.

The same question being asked. Whats best.. there's no 1 correct answer. Your welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭newhouse87

yuno rang today and your man on the phone said he d cut initial payment to 60euro from 117 euro quoted on web. I was applying online last night and had some details entered but never went ahead with payment, 5pm today they rang my number then. Seems a no brainer, no contract exit fee variable plan with 30days notice, 9.8% i think cheaper then electric ireland plan im on.

It's a 12 month contract, there is an early exit fee applicable but I couldn't see anywhere in the terms and conditions how much it was( which means it's scaldy, probably calculated on the months remaining) be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭newhouse87

1.5 Should you terminate the Contract after the 14 day cooling off period but prior to the expiry of the Initial Period or without providing us with the required 30 days advanced notice of your intention to cancel a €50 termination fee will be applied to your account.

Presume can cancel anytime free with 30days notice.

Advertisement