Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh the new footage was also from the game; gotcha. Yeesh. Though yeah, on clarification it does have that obvious, exact energy of those live-action video games from fadó. Or those board-games where you had to play a VHS tape as you rolled the dice etc., while Darth Vader or something harangued you on-screen lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And what they done to Hansen wasn't half as bad as what an idiot PIC 3 made

Shelby look

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

The author of the work actually points out they based this take of Hansen as complacent and stubborn, and unwilling to call off the attack. That directly implies, by his own arrogance, that he's responsible for a huge loss of life. You raise some good points, but I'd go as far as to say very few officers weren't 'of their time' during this era..... hell, even as a viewer, we were absolutely awed by the Borg. The sheer scale of their presence, the relentless pressing forward, their fast nullification of all threats.... we'd never seen anything like them, so I'm a bit more forgiving of Hansen in that sense.

By now we don't bat an eyelid at a Borg cube, but back then, it was all so new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Since I have Paramount+ for another month I thought I'd watch an episode of TAS. No joy. What gives?

I have it on DVD but I thought this whole craic of PP being the Home Of Star Trek was a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@JayRoc Don't know but the 'very short treks' advertise that they have them, maybe the US version only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

TAS is still on Netflix, as are all (?) the other pre 2006 series

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is this extremely childish and immature? Yes.

Is it as funny AF

Also yes. 😄

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx0HcWwoLhY/?igshid=NmQ4MjZlMjE5YQ==

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So who is buying Patrick Stewarts Book? I have mine ordered :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think this is one I'd like to hear an audiobook version. I wonder if BBC Radio 4 will do an abridged version with Patrick Stewart reading "Making It So".

This is his Desert Island Discs episode to whet the appetite:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ms

Awe such a pity

The writers came up with a lovely scene," Stewart continued. "It is dusk at Jean-Luc’s vineyard. His back is to us as he takes in the view, his dog at his side. Then, off-screen, a woman’s loving voice is heard: 'Jean-Luc? Supper’s ready!' Is it Beverly Crusher’s voice? Laris’s? Someone we don’t know? It isn’t made clear. But [my real-life wife] Sunny was set to record the lines. Heeding his wife’s call, Jean-Luc turns around, says to his dog, 'C’mon, boy,' and heads inside. Dusk fades to night, and Picard fades into history."

Would have been a great ending. I hope we do get Star Trek Picard the Movie. I want to see one more adventure with them and that ending too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I think the ending we got was fine. Star Trek isn't Lord of the Rings, it doesn't need 300 endings.

The ending was shte but the one above would be no better. It's a bit too Johnny steps out of the sonic shower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think this is about the poker scene and not the Borg death Star ending? Unless you didn't like that either haha

Ah fair enough.

I did also not really like to poker scene due to us seeing it done much better already.

Funny I'd have said the opposite: the Picard series allowed the entire bridge crew a chance to finally, quantifiably connect. Sure TNG left off with a tantalisingly minimal entrrance by the captain - but it was nice seeing the crew just bond. Apparently shot with a lot of improvisation so the actors could just riff naturally.

Maybe I would have felt it all a bit more emotional if it hadn't come after that Enterprise - G crap and the Death Star scene. I was feeling pretty cynical by the time the poker scene came.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I was annoyed that "everybody lives". It would have been more powerful if they had an empty chair for Worf and raised a glass to his journey to Stova Kor

That's where I thought it was going, and I'm still shocked that they didn't bump off somebody from the crew - but I'm also kinda glad they didn't. Sometimes killing off the now-ancient hero, just for some cheap drama and death scene, feels a bit lazy. It's nice they just let our heroes age gracefully, happy and living out the remainder of their lives together. No need for speeches, or emotional sacrifices - just friends coming together, working as a crew. I think after Han Solo got offed in Force Awakens I became officially done with that trope.

Like a lot of decisions with Picard, I'd love to know whose idea that was - Matalas  himself or something forced by the higher ups. The show played fast and loose with its pace and sense of scale - but that finale was just insane and I wonder if there was a little tap on the shoulder from Goldsman or Kurtzman going "where's the 'explosions?"

I think you are trying very hard to exonerate Matalas. There is nothing to suggest it wasn't all him.

Not a hope that this show was going to kill anyone off given that they had a whole plot just to bring Data back to life. Also as you said it would have just felt like a cheap trope.

• Advertisement

No no, not trying to exonerate at all: just the film production nerd in me is always curious about where decisions are made relative to the events on the page / screen. Especially when it's some really pronounced tonal shifts like that incredibly bizarre Star Wars finale.

I don't think Matalas is the Chosen One here or anything, but I do believe his feel for the pulse of Trek rings stronger than the ostensible more senior figures in the Trek brain trust. Figures whose own CVs have shown a preponderance for overblown set-pieces and melodrama, which is why I wondered if the "big action finale" was a dictat.

Well it seemed like you were saying the good stuff was thanks to him and offloading the bad stuff on the much hated Kurtzmann.

Matalas CV isn't exactly perfect after making PIC 2 which is close to being the worst season of Star Trek ever. But I have seen the bad bits of that blamed on everyone else too.

Certainly not, especially as when all's said and done we just don't know the extent to which influence came from the outside - if any. But I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of executive direction given. Especially when it came to structural "requirements" for any given show, it does happen. Especially when it comes to what money's available episode to episode.

Who knows; I liked what Matalas achieved with 12 Monkeys; and what he did with that show, and what happened in Season 2 of Picard doesn't gel with me.

And like you, I do think Season 2 of Picard was the worst season of Trek ever. Heck, I think it was one of the worst TV series of that year or in years. I just always automatically assume "Shenanigans" when something goes that wrong, helmed by otherwise ostensibly talented enough people.

Luckily Strange New Worlds doesn't have these possible "structural requirements" and neither did PIC 1 which I think should have just ended with Picard properly dying.

I wonder then was Matalas told he had to use the previously blown up Enterprise D which was rebuilt for a museum with full weapons and shields for some reason. Cause that was an awful heap of sht decision.

Ms

Awe no it was not. It was great to see the old girl on the screen again but ye maybe the fact it had full weapons and shields was silly. They should have had to improvise that somehow even if that meant using the deflector ad there energy weapon and maybe having to stop at a weapons station or something for torpedoes and a tube activator or something.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They could have just used the Enterprise E but the D is more recognisable so was used despite being blown up.

It's the definition of cheap fan wankery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

All true, but after the absolute hogwash of season 1 and 2, I welcomed the fanservice. We actually deserved it for enduring that previous horseshit. Could they have done better? Sure. Could they have done worse? Oh you bet. I seen S3 as a love letter to TNG and the final sendoff for the crew, and at that, I was happy with it.

Season 1 was easily better than season 3. I can't think of a single bit of season 3 that I remember fondly outside of Shaw.

All I remember are a ship full of dark dusty rooms and corridors, a Discovery level panto villain, Jacks stupid obvious dragged out dreams and a phaser shot gun. The whole thing was actually like Discovery dressed up with some TNG cameos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Advertisement