Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure the presence of photon torpedos et al might have sat better had the entire sequence not turned into the Death Star run. TBH I didn't even think on the Enterprise's full weapon systems, and I Wasn't even that wowed by the nostalgia of it all given TNG was never "my" Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh no way. How could you say a season with not even a proper Federation ship in it is better than one with an Enterprise the Enterprise D at that in it and not in a dream? Season 1 started out great with Picard at the winery and all but went down hill quick. There is some good parts in it alright like the Romulan Warbird but elomo or whatever you call him certainly was not one. Still better than season 2 do but season 3 is the best season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's better because I don't want new Star Trek to have old blown up ships. If I want the D and it's crew I'll watch some TNG. Having the Enterprise was one of the things that made 3 worse not better.

Ms

Oh I disagree. Anyway only half of the D was blown up the other half only crashed so was repairable. Anyway we all have our different likes but for me I preferred Season 3. I will agree to disagree with you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Trek: Picard Eliminated Starfleet’s 3 Biggest Enemies From 3 Quadrants (screenrant.com)

The Romulans, the Changelings, and the Borg have been enemies of the Federation since their introductions, but by the end of Picard season 3, all of these threats have been neutralized.

Starfleet's triumph at the end of Picard season 3 simultaneously put an end to the Federation's greatest threats from the Delta and Gamma Quadrants.

They will have to invent new threats for Legacy, if it gets green-lit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, still plenty of antagonists out there: the Cardassians haven't really had much of a sniff since the return of Trek since Disco; or they could pick and run with someone like The Breen (and that'd have the advantage of all those extras you wouldn't have to pay as much for the masks they'd wear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

My knowledge may be a little rusty, but didn't JJ nuke the Romulans as a threat (indirectly)? Weren't the Changelings from Pic S3 the ones who were kept after the war ended, leaving the Gamma changelings still out there? And the Borg, well, they were defanged a long time ago...

A definite case of being careful what you wish for. Nothing wrong with wanting a franchise to move forward for a change, but it's been proven time and again that so many franchises nowadays are just shadows of what they were (or could have been.)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I submit a version of the Typhon Pact as candidates... though the CGI bill would be challenging.

Spoilers for the Trek novels:

The pact consisted of the Romulan Star EmpireTzenkethi CoalitionBreen ConfederacyGorn HegemonyTholian Assembly and the Holy Order of the Kinshaya, all of which had hostile relations with the Federation and/or Klingon Empire in their previous history and all of which had typically previously maintained xenophobic and isolationist policies.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Typhon_Pact

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

In Star Treks case it seems it can't move forward only backwards.

Even Lower Decks which I love is tied to nostalgia and in a sort of prequel time period.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Didn't Tholian silk get mentioned in DS9? I seen it fairly recently. Someone gives it as a gift.

So relations between the Federation and the Tholians in the 24th Century must not be that bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yes but that was before a lot of water under the bridge in terms of wars and challenges to the Federation.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tholian_silk

The book series timeline has been displaced, but another event, or natural disaster could be used to weaken the Federation and see a banding together of an anyone but the Federation Confederation.

No disputing that nostalgia has done a LOT of the heavy lifting up to now yeah, and even at that, they messed that up more often than not.

Discovery is an absolute embarrassment of a show, it couldn't get nostalgia OR progression correct. Subjectively, I felt Picard binned it up until it's final season, whereby I was so happy to that at least got the nostalgia element right.

SNW is a bit of an exception. Sure, it's yet another prequel, BUT, they've kinda nailed it. It's what Discovery should have been. Just honest to goodness episodic storytelling, with a great cast, and writing I enjoy.

Lower Decks is class. For me it's too zany and slapstick to fit into the canon bracket, but I think the writers are exceptional. It balances comedy with strong nostalgic references too, and really is a breath of fresh air.

I'm a bit jaded when considering future new shows though tbh. I'd be happy with SNW getting a good long multi season run, Discovery ending asap, LD continuing on as long as it wants, and that's really it for me. I really enjoyed seeing Seven back in Picard, but I'm not overly excited about a new show on the new Enterprise or anything, I just feel it'd be more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

There’s certainly plenty of room for a good antagonist in Trek. I feel that the Cardassians are pretty much done as a villain, and are akin to what the Klingons became by the time TNG came. We’ll probably end up seeing Cardassians in Starfleet.

With a enough creativity and care a good threat could be created that would be interesting, but that care would be nessisary. It can’t just a generic war-like alien, it needs to have a certain theme or hook to it. The Klingons and Romulans were an analogue for Cold War adversaries of the 60’s. The Borg were almost a commentary of how technology was consuming humanity, and the Dominion was an interesting take on an “Anti-Federation”.

Since then we haven’t had much in the way of a good new villain in Trek. Voyager recycled the Borg to death in the final seasons, but they did take a stab at making a new recurring villain in the form of the Vaadwuar. Alas they seemed to just be yet another war-like alien with interesting makeup, and I suspect they knew this villain wasn’t very good since we never saw them again. The horror of the Vidians might have been interesting to have as a threat to the Federation, but I feel that Voyager might have gotten as much out of them as you could without ruining them. (And apparently they’re cured thanks to the Think Tank, so possibly not a threat anymore)

The Earth Confederation in Picard Season 2 had sparks of a potentially good villain, even if a little too similar to the Terran Empire. It’s a bit of a tired trope, but would an interesting villain in future Trek be the Federation itself? That being bloated and satisfied with the fact of themselves being the only remaining power in the Quadrant, the Federation sleepwalk into a authoritarian nightmare, kind of like how the Galactic Republic became The Empire. That the new Seven show features an Enterprise F fighting to hold onto what good is left in the Federation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd like to see some use being made of the Sheliak. A non-organic, non-humanoid species, they'd be as uncaring and brutal as the borg, but not as mindless or predictable. A chance for something genuinely alien, and not a guest star in a nose prosthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wasn't the Federation president lady in Discovery a Kardashian?

They're plastic enough to last that long, alright

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Human, bajoran, cardassian hybrid apparently.

There was a Lower Decks character who I thought was Cardassian but don't think so as when they depicted Cardassians in Mariner's holodeck simulation, they were much more obviously grey. Could be good for some Stax character development if they actually introduced one to the crew.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For anyone playing Star Trek Online, you claim a free USS Resolute in the in-game store to promote Resurgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭ Esteban Easy Tightrope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I always thought these chairs were really cool

Colm Meaney will be popping up on the Sky History digital channel presenting documentary series "Scary Tales of New York", seems to be more about murders than supernatural stuff - Monday 30th October.

Ms

Jeez he must be desperate for a gig if that's what he is doing. A pity. Would love to see him voice Myles O Brien again on Lower Decks.

I see Patrick Stewart will be on "The Graham Norton show" again tomorrow :)

Always good Craig Patrick.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

An excellent recreation of the last day's of the USS Yamato,

That saucer disintegrating like that still gives me chills. It is an excellent episode one of the very first really good episodes of TNG.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Always loved seeing other versions of a shows hero ship.

Yamato, Constellation, Empok Nor and Valiant were all part of great episodes. One of the few memorable high points of Discovery was the episode skulking around the abandoned sister ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Wasn't that the second or third episode? I think it was still receiving the benefit of the doubt back then.

Post edited by Evade on

Yup, think it was the third and the second Pilot Episode 🤭🙄 the sister ship the USS Glenn went kaput and Burnham was drafted in from Starfleet jail to help investigate?

They had some gruesome bodies turned inside out, and those giant space tartigrades that never came up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This might be of interest to sci fi fans

Don't remember when in the run it was but ya it was early. It one of the few bits I remember enjoying and it had a nice Event Horizon style atmosphere.

The giant space tardigrade was the key to unlocking the spore drive and "came up again" all season and was a huge part of the season.

• Advertisement

If you say so cos all I remember of season 1 are those couple of episode, the Harry Mudd one and the batshít ending with the mirror universe. If the tartigrade stuff came back the hey ho, shows how memorable it was.

I certainly remember the gore because it happened a couple of times in Disco and Picard in what read like a lame attempt to make for mature edginess where none was needed.

Advertisement