Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Stunning, it looks stunning.

Nintendo seem to be the only people capable of making these kinds of compelling and fun games anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even from the trailer it's clear it's classic Nintendo top tier design with clever mechanics and just fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes, fun, joy, happiness, humour, family friendly

(c) Nintendo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just as well they are investing in games of this type and quality, because no one else is.

If you see a 2D platformer now it is normally either a pixel art title or uses unsophisticated 3D models, and by a small independent team.

Now, I have nothing against those, but there is an awful lot of them and of varying quality.

Only Nintendo seem to be spending large sums of money on 2D platformers, and getting it right.

And, if I may ask, what is wrong with "family friendly"?

I mean, if a game is fun to play that's it. Family friendly just means it is not trading on horror or violence as a selling point.

I'm not dissing family friendly. I am agreeing with you. Microsoft wonder why people are not attracted to the platform, but they seem to mostly target 18+ cert FPS players. And they are trying to spend gazillions getting COD and they already have a million games on the platform like that. They are miserable, depressing, boring games.

There are a few good looking at least 2D games coming from other places. The new Sonic game and that new Prince of Persia game.

• Advertisement

Concerning 2D Sonic, it took Sonic Mania before Sega finally saw sense and put the investment into a Sonic game people want to play, instead of two decades of mediocre 3D Sonic titles.

Prince of Persia, yes, looks great but I do love the PS2 PoP titles, especially the first two.

Oddly enough, while Tomb Raider essentially brought PoP into the 3D space, Sands of Time was so much better, certainly in its use of 3D space.

Hopefully Capcom and Nintendo will be an inspiration to Sega to get back to their roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Tonnes and tonnes of new abilities and enemies in Super Mario Bros. Wonder. It's a massive change to the 2D series. 

The OLED Model Mario Red Edition was shown right at the end.

• Advertisement

A couple of things taken from Bubble Bobble. 😁Looks nice and if it plays well then I've no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Looks like a lot of fun, October's pretty stacked for new games but I'll pick this up at some point for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Honestly not feeling this. Mario 2d games have felt generic for the longest time. Yoshi's Island on the SNES probably the last time I was genuinely wowed. Don't get me wrong, Wonder doesn't look BAD. It just looks like a mish-mash of things that have been done before either in Mario games or other games, with a pretty lick of paint. I'm sure people will enjoy it, and it will sell by the bucket-load, but as an older and maybe slightly more demanding (and slightly grouchier) gamer - this isn't really speaking to me. I just crave that feeling of something genuinely new and innovative that invokes that sense of 'wonder' (kind of like Breath of the Wild did for the Zelda franchise).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario Galaxy games and Mario Odyssey had plenty of that.

Also other than NSMB on the DS the 2D mario games have been really great.

Wonder honestly looks amazing. What I wasn't expecting was the Dark Souls inspired multiplayer which looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭jos22

pay an extra 15 euro for talking flower and a picture box.

and extras bar the flower seem to be pre order freebies from different stores in the US

what the cheapest people have found this game so far,

https://assets.nintendo.eu/image/private/f_auto,c_limit,w_1920,q_75/dkqyzyy9vim5z5yvvnoy

amazon France has it for € 44.99 but shipping is € 8.50 so not a much of saving after that sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭barryribs

Not the elephant fruit stress ball! To be fair though, a 5 euro discount is crap, especially for someone who doesn't buy digital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Lots of physical stuff up on the My Nintendo Store if you're feeling a tat-shaped hole in your life.

I see they haven't changed the cost of the Bundle though that came with it. still 76 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The new voice of Mario and Luigi has been revealed as Kevin Afghani

the game has being leaked online over the weekend, so avoid youtube etc if people do not want spoilers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well seems this is getting okay reviews so far.

Sitting at 93 on metacritic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Just arrived. Good ole Smyths

same got mine today too. didnt play it busy playing Pikmin 4. read that it pretty easy and very little boss battles.

I'd expect it to be available for 50 euro, like most of the other Nintendo first party games. Will wait and get it as an Xmas present for me. 😁

Super Mario Bros. Wonder – Out now!

Super Mario Bros Wonder - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A Switch Masterpiece

Yup - Amazon UK + maybe even additional discount - check the Nintendo "bargains" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Picked it up for €43 delivered using the Amazon price + discount + free prime trial. That DF video sold me on it, looks and sounds awesome. Might hold off playing it until the Christmas hols though but couldn’t pass it up at that price.

Advertisement