Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter McVerry Trust has 'financial issues'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Criticise something I didn't say, deflect to another topic, throw in a personal insult. I am not going to engage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Oh right, so you're just criticising everything they do without having any actual solutions to offer, got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But does not answer the question, do the clients get life long support, I support two charities at Christmas one is a small support/ preventing homelessness in young people type service, I do this because I knew someone who worked there and they had a lot of experience and said the service is excellent and secondly the don't activity fundraise.

• Advertisement

You can choose support whatever charities you like.

You can't choose to tell every charity in Ireland how to run their services.

What's the problem with providing lifetime supports to people with lifetime needs?

Well, we have legislation in place to tell charities how to run their services, we also have public spending rules for them to obey, and we have revenue as well to collect from them, so in many ways charities are told how to run their services.

Certainly in the case of the subject of this thread, they have been caught out by at least one of the ways they have been told to run their services.

I am sure that you will agree that whether it is a business, a charity or Joe Soap, it is not a good thing to avoid paying your taxes?

It's only swapping one thing for another the closer of the large mental hospitals has a lot to do with today's situation, St Brendans has something like 3 thousand patients at one stage, they also had large workshops employing tailors, boot makers, a farm all to provide for the 3 thousand inmates who often spent their whole life there.

Post edited by mariaalice on

It's funny how society can suppress one thing only for it to arise again in another guise, the large mental hospitals had nurses, tailors, boot makers, and farm workers, in today's society it's homeless services, care workers, policy advisors.

I think that's a really interesting philosophical point.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Tow

You have it in one. We went from 100% institutions to almost 100% care in the community. The reality is often something in the middle is required. Purpose build communities where people can have 'their own front door' but the backup services are there to insure they are feed, cleaned, educated, employed etc. I have seen it my self with a young who parents died going into these homeless services. Deteriorating over the years and begging outside shops, as he had nothing else to do.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I absolutely agree that it's not a good think for PMV or any person or business to be avoiding paying their taxes. Indeed, it seems that PMV would agree with this too. It does look like they dropped the ball here, and they should absolutely be held to account for this.

There's a big difference between that statement, and the constant, tiresome, ill-informed rants about what they do and how they do it from those who wouldn't recognise a housing support if they tripped over it, from those who have no idea about the processes in place between PMV and their various funding departments, from those who want to impose their own personal value system on a housing support service, with zero evidence to support this.

You have to be realistic, no organisation getting taxpayers' money can just say...trust us we know what we are doing leave us alone, society is entitled to know if he money any state-funded organisation is spending is effective in doing what the organisation says it is doing and that is not just about accounting for the money they get.

Here’s the bit you didn’t read;

from those who have no idea about the processes in place between PMV and their various funding departments,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

And that is most definitely needed.

Second chance of life so to say. Absolutely should be paid for by the public purse and if even a minority can stand on their own two feet afterwards. Worth every penny.

I think the issues some people have is the lifestyle and also the continuous financial scandals. Value for money. I'm not saying the on the ground workers, they deserve way more money.

Plus 100k for a ceo is nothing.

This seems to have upset you, so sorry about that, this is a discussion site where individuals can have any opinions they like even if they are daft.

I was also mildly curious as to why some homeless services don't actively fundraise and some do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Not all materials are always refunded.

The materials budget consists of the number of participants multiplied by an amount per participant.

Therefore if you have a small of participants you are goosed.

It's not a 'philosophical question'. It is a human rights question.

You're painting a very one-sided picture of Grangegorman there. Would you like to consider the lobotomies and ECT 'therapy' given to 'cure' homosexuality and other conditions? Would you like to talk about the overcrowding, the abuse, the complete lack of any independence and dignity?

We don't lock people away because they are inconvenient or awkward for us.

I am not saying Grangegormn was any better clearly not.

I think you are probably guilty in your posts of the exact same thing you accuse others of.

There is no doubt that the poverty industry housing charities are inefficient. They add an extra layer of bureaucracy and inefficiency to something that local authorities should be empowered to do. Their raison d'etre as set out in many of their strategic plans is to increase the amount of money they get from the taxpayer.

€2,200 a month was the figure given earlier in the thread for the money spent by PMVT per client. I don't know if it is accurate, but nobody has provided a reasoned alternative amount. Do you think that is good value?

• Advertisement

2200 a month ,food , electricity, gas , linen , fire alarm service , lift maintenance, routine maintenance, key workers , supper accessing external services , insurance , catering staff and so on .

Be careful what you wish for. If you want local authorities to take on this service directly, you'll be paying all the staff at full public service rates with full public service pension entitlements. That will increase the overall costs of the service by 20-40%.

PMV's strategic goals are set out below, and do not match what you suggested. It's not entirely unreasonable for any service organisation to try to maximise their funding.

Is €2,200 per month a reasonable cost? Your opinion and my opinion on this don't matter. What matters are the opinions of the funders, who are directly involved, and who know what are the costs of the other players in the market, and what are PMVs input costs, and what are their success measures.

Your opinion and my opinion on the €2,200 per month cost are as relevant as your opinion and my opinion on the €250 million cost for a Boeing 787 jet. If we're not experts in that sector, our opinions aren't worth a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭mikep

Things are getting worse at PMcV.

Chief exec who started in June has resigned stating that there was repeated and long standing governance failings

The trust had insufficient funds to meet creditor, payroll and revenue commitments.

It survived by selling property in Santry for 1 million and plans to sell more worth 5.8 million.

Raises more and more questions..

Real questions now for the Board, especially the Chair of the Board.

Have been saying this for quite a while, I asked serious questions on this thread about the accounts that nobody could answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Looks like a lot more to come out of this.

Trust in charities is already so low. People just won't support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

As a lot of the money they receive is tax payer funded then anyone and everyone's opinion is valid.

Just because they are a charity doesn't exclude them from running the business legally and by the rules they are supposedly governed by.

I think for too long this particular one has been raing it in because of the name and the man who was instrumental in setting it up.

But rules are rules. Tax payers money is and must be wholly accounted for. Rte are realising this this past summer.

We have way to many homeless charities.

And tbh if someone has 2,200 a month to live on I think they would be.soing pretty well. The amount of ceo/CFOs living off the charity industry is laughable and needs to be exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dulceetdecorum

Allegedly allegedly allegedly, I normally wouldnt make a post like this but I emailed the people conducting investigation and they basically told me i needed written proof for everything etc. When it was just a tip off and obviously i'm not gonna have signed photocopies of everything - I was only shown the letter and of course it wouldnt occur to me during the most stressful time of my life to keep records of stuff like this. Felt like a slap in the face as I was terrified to raise a concern because they hold so much power over you in them hostels that you still feel it when you leave.

When I was there without straying into detail a hell of a lot of people randomly got letters about large amounts of arrears with no proof to back it up, they couldnt provide me with any proof or where they got the figure that I apparently owed and after I challenged it it seemed to yave been dropped.

I do not know this for a fact, but I have heard rumors of people leaving the service and still having money being taken out of social welfare over a month after.

I have also heard rumors about how impossible the finance department are to get hold of even for staff and that they make a lot of mistakes.

Im so anxious to bring any of these up but you guys have no idea how vulnerable you feel in a hostel and to have weird financial stuff like this going on was way too much.

Post edited by dulceetdecorum on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Looks like he discovered what a lot of new CEOs have in the past. When the man whose name is over the door is still in the room you are not the chief of anything.

They needed to appoint a real independent experienced CEO from outside to lead the organisation and failure to do so only demonstrated that they had no intention to fix the problems only hope the crisis would blow over and the gravy train would keep running. If he is gone now I would suspect there is more seriously bad news on the way.

No, everyone's opinion isn't valid.

Cardiac surgery is taxpayer funded, so can drop into the matter and give the surgeons my valid opinions on how they should be doing their cardiac surgery, despite me having zero experience or knowledge of the topic?

Everyone can have an opinion sure, but let's not pretend that they're based on actual knowledge and understanding.

Why do we have 'too many homeless charities'? Do we also have 'too many plumbers'? Do we also have 'too many ladies fashion shops'?

Your confusion between getting €2,200 to live on and PMV charging their funders €2,200 for a service which includes accommodation and support services shows exactly why everyone's opinion isn't valid.

How do we get CEOs and CFOs to manage these large charity organisations of they don't get to earn a living?

Why would you expect that random commenters would be able to answer your questions? Maybe you should have directed your questions at the organisation themselves, though I'd guess they'll have other priorities at the moment.

• Advertisement

Well maybe some of the commenters, including yourself, should have dialled back the outrage at the questions being asked. There clearly is something badly wrong at the charity, at best there is a serious level of incompetence. What is most worrying is that the board were asked by the recently appointed CEO to bring on some others with experience to help with the governance issues. The board refused, either through pride or incompetence or something to hide. Let's wait to see what comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

According to the Indo, the Trust on the verge of collapse. How could they have wasted so much money?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/peter-mcverry-ceo-resigns-warning-of-imminent-financial-collapse-of-charity/a1796277818.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Coke and hoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I hope we just have full transparency as without that, trust is lost.

Significant money was flying into that organisation. What was it spent on, and how did that fit into any value for money strategy?

What was their business plan, they appear to have taken on many new staff in a very short number of recent years, 700+ now in total, we are told.

So long after poor regulation in the CT years was well documented, we have a housing sector that has only adopted proper regulation, that is statutory, in the last year.

As a country, we really are late to the party when it comes to proper governance. This seems yet another example of this.

Our public finances are awash with money. It does look like money is administered and then there's very limited scrutiny.

I bet individuals and companies who donated to this organisation must be thinking, WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Field east

Very noticeable that there is no appearance from Fr McVerry following on from thr budget . If he has ‘nothing to hide ‘ then he should no go behind the door until ‘it all blows over’. He is normally first out of the traps on any announcement government makes on housing / housing related matters giving out about gov incompetence, lack of finance , eye off the ball, not really caring for the homeless , etc, etc, etc.

He/his org had only one area to manage re planning, finances, management, staffing. Gov has a rest of areas to manage , plan for , etc, etc, etc. Yet it look like that that The Thrust has seriously messed up.

‘People in glasshouses should not throw stones ‘ comes to mind.

There's no outrage at questions being asked.

There is outrage at generalised slurs about 'CEOs milking the state' and the 'poverty industry' and people hiding behind charity/governance issues when they really want to take a dig at the principle of providing essential services to vulnerable people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭griffin100

It was mentioned on the news this morning that the Company has serious liquidity problems. For a Company with a guaranteed minimum state income that’s a shocking inditement of both the executive and the Board. Was the Board receiving regular management accounts? Were they accurate? Was any sort of budget prepared and outturns calculated?

There was also mention of some questionable spending around a hostel build.

Looking forward to hearing how McVerry himself will spin this into the fault of the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

These lads who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and probably worse will be looking for tax payer cash to bail them out. Mark my words.

They must not get a cent of our money and an example should be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That Revenue “warehoused debt “ is coming back to haunt companies now

a construction company went into liquidation yesterday owing 13 million to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭mikep

Ah go way, we can't use those facts to take personalised swipes at people doing a hard job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Marcos

And not before time IMO, if the indications of financial impropriety whether from incompetence or more sinister reasons are true. And should a charity be engaging in property speculation buying and selling properties rather than concentrating on it's original remit? The fact that the CEO has taken a look at the books, tried to fix it and felt forced to resign is the reddest of flags.

It also raises the questions what about other "charities" and NGOs? Are they either run as shoddily, or is there something else at play? Are taxpayers getting the most efficient results from our annual €6.2 billion* largesse? Do we need all this replication in the same sectors, with replicated CEO and staff costs? There is a history of some of these charities using donations as a means of topping up their own pay and pensions.

That's before you look at the likes of Console, Bóthar, or lavish spending with little or no oversight such as at Rehab and Childfund to name just two.

I don't understand given the above examples how anyone can blithely say, nothing to see here folks, and get outraged at anyone daring to ask any questions. This is beyond me, but then again I work in the private sector and don't have anything to do with any NGOs, tax aided or otherwise. This isn't aimed at any particular charities but at the waste and lack of oversight of money, that if spent properly, could make our society better.

*€6.2 billion is from Benefacts final report before it was closed down in 2021. Benefacts was the public body that had oversight of all NGOs/Charites/Non Profits etc until it's funding "ran out" in 2022. Since then, there are no published reports of government spending in this area.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Chopper Dave

It is a little surprising that this story isn't been given more prominence given the RTE situation and how their Executives are being questioned. I can't quite understand why a charity aimed at providing services to the homeless would see warehousing tax payment as a good idea. I can understand that fundraising may have been impacted by the lockdown but it does seem that the Government made up a lot of the shortfall through increased donation. After that you just have to cut your cloth and reduce your services if that's what is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It says they sold properties in Santry to try to cover their debts. Surely a supposedly homeless charity shouldn't be selling off houses?

Are you trying a bit of back seat modding now? If you’ve a problem with any of my posts, report them, or suck it up.

No one got shouted down. Relevant facts were shown to counter the generalised slurs against an entire industry.

Unfortunately for you, you seem to have missed the key point here.

There entire model of outsourcing of essential services for vulnerable people through funded contracts with charitable organisations is owned by Government, particularly the FG led governments of the last twelve years in power. If you’ve a problem with how government funds charitable organisations or how government regulates charitable organisations, your first complaint should be to the Government and parties that dramatically extended this model.

PMV doesn’t decide who gets what funding. That’s down to the Government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

What was their business plan, they appear to have taken on many new staff in a very short number of recent years, 700+ now in total, we are told.

I'm having trouble understanding PMVT employing 700+ people, are these full time employees working for the charity or terminology use to describe people who access their services. Please tell me the latter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Pay a visit to their website and you'll find all you need to know! Start with their Strategic Plan 2021 - 2025 and get back to us.

https://pmvtrust.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Peter-McVerry-Trust-Strategic-Plan-2021-2025.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Lacks detail. I'd read their latest annual report but it has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭batman75

Very strange that the trust has financial issues. Surely fiscal malpractice or outright stealing by someone? Up to the 70s the state had a good record of house building. They may need to dissolve all these housing charities and trusts and start providing housing for those who can't buy privately.

Thanks for your life-coaching advice. I'll give it all the attention it deserves.

Why don't you remind us specifically of what 'waste and corruption' you've exposed here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement