Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Look all il say is i own more than 3 of my derogation dairy farmers neighbours put together il leaveve it a that im from the midlands

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Maybe that new poster who's insulting everyone should just relax. Everyone is friendly in here. There's no big boasters. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Just say what you have to say in a normal voice and tone down the insults. We were all the new boy in class once.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭older by the day

I had montbelliarde (still can't spell that) crosses for years tho they are 90 percent Friesian now. I wonder will the flechs die off as well. When you breed back to Friesian again all your calf's will have frx on the cards. Not great for selling.

The cross will definitely be longer lasting but won't beat a Friesian for milk. I found with the Montis that you had a Great milker and could get a bad milker. Would need to do your homework on picking sires. The high ebi Friesian now a days are a more robust sturdier animal than they were before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Why in the name of fook was this thread (which was once a place for sharing views and people helping one another and offering advise) allowed to deteriorate to utter nonsensical trash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It's called rising to the bait. You do have the power to stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I read the UK dairy and milk price threads from time to time, it seems to stays on topic and is pretty much dairy farmers posting. Never see other farmers taking potshots and dragging it off topic. Weird innit?

Ok. We got a load of rain this morning. I'm tempted to start feeding silage and let them in side tonight. Anyone else feeding silage yet. Or should I battle on and hope things dry up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Letting them in myself tonite, cows aren't happy out lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You can use the weather Apps to see the forecasts. Pretty accurate really for 3 to 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

A bunch of hungry derogation calves I suppose…

• Advertisement

What kind of covers have you to deal with, better off letting them into light covers and keeping them in by night feed a bit of silage. High covers are only being walked into the ground in this weather at least the low covers will be cleared and some bit right for next spring and you might get a chance to somewhat properly clean out the higher covers if things ease up.

God bless them they are looking fine . Plenty of grass only very wet here

I have to disagree of robustness of high ebi all the large dairies which are much bigger than mine are useing kiwi cross there real hardy and can walk i dont like high ebi poor animals.

Doesnt look hungry nice calves well reared gd job done there

Same story in most places I’d imagine you’ve to pick your battles these days with the weather, you kind of need to hit lower covers during the day and hope they clean out fairly well once they know they’re getting silage they don’t tend to stay out long if weather conditions are bad.

True. I will move them tomorrow on to higher ground. And let them out full-time. Weather is picking up the weekend for a few days. They do get lazy grazers when they get silage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OmegaRider

wow, I saw same story

You have to pick the bulls that suits you.

A few 300 kiwi cow herds here in West cork too. With 70 or 80 replacement heifers. Don't believe that they are rearing them for the crack. Any cows, doing a lot of road will wear out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Opportunity cost there Bass, this mytical thing......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm kind of getting fed up on here. I've started dipping my toe posting on another forum where it's better moderated and genuine as a result.

The history here is being trashed. I've met some great people from here in real life. But it's really getting dirty here. I wouldn't post any of the new stuff I do here anymore. It's not worth it.

• Advertisement

I know what ur saying but i tried kiwi cross great feet and legs udders iffy.only for calf issue id still use them.If a cow cant walk what gd is she

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

In fairness you are in a different league then the rest of us poor mortals .

! question before you bail on us ,I had reduced lu/h since mid summer and also skipped spreading n a few rounds and reduced considerbly back to 10-15 units the other times .it was a mighty growthy here localy on old leys and grass went completely ahead of me the last few weeks but i made cows eat it down by strip grazing with result drop in production .I spread low units of yara nitro boost one round and cows shaved the grass .I am just wondering if not spreading some fert.each round is a false economy in that it makes the grass more palatable .I was seriously impressed with the yara nitro boost

So the grass is more palatable after spreading the yara nutri booster than when you spread nothing and you're wondering if it's a false economy by not spreading in every round as a result? I take it.

That's your micro nutrients in the nutri booster. Sulphur, sodium and selenium. You may really do full comprehensive soil test to see what's what but going off your observation it seems they're lacking. You are getting the growth because you are bringing those elements up. Theoretically if you had those elements up and supplied you wouldn't need the nitrogen. The soil would be balanced getting those and it would favour biology to supply the nitrogen to the plant.

In the back of my mind I've an idea to make up a fert mix with everything else bar nitrogen and phosphorus. Perfectly blended in proportion that could be spread in the closed period on grassland. I could mix it up in a concrete mixer bucket on the loader with weighcell and into the fert spreader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya really find the trace elements works wonders for the second half of the year it really improves palatability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Let us know what concoction you put together on this. You could do the environment a huge favour if you turn up something favourable by hoovering up any excess N that might have otherwise leached, as well as increased DM production.

It could be a very repeatable "fix" across all farms through conventional sprayers. If it utilised extra nitrogen, the impact on WQ would have to be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Good loser

Tested two bunches of April calves for worm eggs 3/4 weeks ago. One reading around 400 - dosed these. Another 100 - didn't dose. Last week one of the second group was very wet and **** at the back; I decided it was either coccid or worms. Went with the worm dose Chanoverm. Dried up fully the day after.

Not sure if it'd make it's own nitrogen or hoover up others around it. It could actually hoover up excess with the growing plant.

Jesus. I'll be rich.🤣

It'd be granular in the fert spreader.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I see forum s that are alot less moderated than here .in the past there has been newbie posters have often light a few fires but have often settled into fine contributers over time and we hope .as greysides has as his motto and I m paraphrasing here .the goal should not be to win the discussion but to listen and learn.

There's taking the p1ss too though.

A quiet word behind the scenes and a stick shown behind the scenes can turn things around too.

I should know and probably others long enough here do as well.

Intuition goes a long way too.

Have a look at the other British and half Irish half British farming site and compare it to the tone here. If one poster says something is off you could dismiss that poster, if more than one says it you take notice.

Anyway ye know yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Those British sites are mostly contributed to by fulltime large commercial farmers. Majority of farms in the UK are 100+++ acres. Many are mixed tillage dairy or tillage beef operations. Most wound have a completely different ethos to here.

Just because someone has a different ethos and opinion to your is no reason to get hot under the collar. It amazing how sensitive some dairy farmers are to a different opinion.

TBH people are insulting him as much as he give it back. It's just less noticeable as it 3-4 v 1.

A good few year ago there was a lad came onto the beef side of this I think he called himself New Beef Farmer he had inherited land from an uncle and became he said there was money in it he was hounded by some posters. He just minimally stocked, drew his SFP, ANC and got into REPS and kept 15 ish stock he bought in February and sold in late October/November, he probably have gone organic 5 years ago.......like many lads now. The lads bickering with his have probably caught up with him at this stage

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement