Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Morrissey deserved a nomination..Fantastic all league and in Munster . Hayes deserves the accolade but Gillane will get it. Hayes is probably going to retire as one of the greatest hurlers of all time.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

Yeah, Id agree with the thoughts above.

Id have either Morrisey or Nash ahead of Byrnes.

Morrisey did a lot of the heavy lifting in the early days of the Championship and all of the League campaign.

Still baffled by CON’s omission from the shortlist for YPOTY, I have no doubt who Id want starting or benching on the Limerick team considering the other nominees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

2 Interesting quarter finals in Senior Hurling Sunday

Might be a year or two too soon for Mungret to turnover one of the top 4 Doon in this case.

Patrickswell 3 big guns Gillane, Lynch & Byrnes should ensure theyve enough to beat fellow parishoners Ballybrown.

Ballybrown(2016) are the only team outside of the big 4 ( Nap,Well,Kmllk,Doon) to appear in a county final over the past 10 years . Over the last 10 years Na Piarsaigh have won 6 , Kilmallock 2 & Patrickswell 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is no "big 4"

Doon have made 2 finals and lost both first by 9 and then 27 points.

A good and consistent side but not up there with the 3 who actually keep winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sorry, but this interview grated me. I know I shouldn't be getting annoyed about things like this, but A) Are Doon factually a 'young' team in comparison to others? It was mentioned about 6 or 7 times in this interview. B) The constant mention of the 'project' screams, 'we have an out if we end up losing matches' etc.

• Advertisement

4 teams have been 1,2,3,4 for past ten years in limerick outside of 2016 when BB got to the final so even if Doon haven’t won it they would be classified for many as top 4 particularly since the senior A group of 6 was created . Ahane to their credit are becoming fifth team but no doubt Mungret with their pool of underage talent and monaleen in the next year or two will shake up what people presently regard as top 4 .

That interview from the Doon guy was defeatist garbage. Good job he wasn't in tbe limerick dressing room in 2018. Mungret will probably beat them

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The Well didn't make the final 4 last year.

Really the records only show that Doon are the best of the also rans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Are trips away with schools/scouts/clubs not normal ?

Seem to remember sports teams packing shopping for trips away going way back.

• Advertisement

Don't know many foreign trips where each child that can go requires a parent/guardian going too. Schools trips are generally for TY or 5th year, most of these will be in 1st year or still in primary school, scout trips are generally something like camping weekend in a neighbouring county not a week in Portugal. Having it on 1st come 1st serve basis surely putting unnecessary pressure on families too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Caherdavin Celtic have been taking teams away for decades. Pretty sure they had trips to Blackpool for similar age-groups over the years, for example, and they were still using a shipping container for dressing rooms in those days. Hardly anything "elite" about a trip to a country that's usually much cheaper than England.

I just assumed the parents thing was some 21st century safeguarding stuff.

Long time since I was in school so can't really remember what age kids were. Scouts definitely go abroad though on those Jamborees and all that shte.

Don't hundreds of kids GAA clubs travel to Ireland from around the world for some big tournament ?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I've always wondered why a Limerick club team hasn't won an club All Ireland given how dominant the county team is. Any club in Limerick be able to put it up to Ballyhale this year? Ballyhale not as good as a few years ago given their age profile.

Well except for the year Na Piarsaigh did win it. NaP also have an amazing Munster record.

The reason is Limerick doesn't have a "super club". Just look at The Well who have 2 maybe 3 Hurler of the Year but are not even favourites to win Limerick.

Will people ever catch up on here. The rugby clubs have been taking kids abroad for 40 years plus. And younger than under 14s at times. Some of the Rugby schools take the kids to South Africa on tour in the summers. It's a nice effort by the two clubs to do this.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Most people are just Envious of where the 3 Big city clubs have got to , loads of players, loads of sharp people to run their clubs and plenty of money.

Many clubs out the country dont have enough for underage teams, too few capable people to run a club and moneys tight, there are too many clubs out the county based on a Parish model which isnt fit for purpose anymore.

many clubs are joined up underage and need to do this at adult level going forward to be anyway relevant in 5/10/15 years time .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

One year extension for kiely. No Currid. I have a feeling kiely will walk win or lose 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

Currid will be a huge loss, she has been a hugely influential member of the team.

Listening to how all of the players referenced her throughout the last number of years and how much she was involved in their performance coaching.

It's a real pity we couldn't get one more year with her. But at the end of the day I'm surprised she stayed this long giving how in demand she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

maybe she knows how important the year ahead for Limerick is... and have no doubt she is aware of her own importance to the setup and maybe to get her back will just require JP to add another zero on the cheque....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is she not joining the Munster set up. Didn't she do that last year?

She was working with them part time I think. She also works with top athletes on an individual basis.

She has been with 4 All Ireland winning counties and I don't think she normally stays very long.

Any thoughts on the 4 Southside clubs joining up underage? Has to be a positive if the will is there to row in behind the project. Some great sports people in that neighbourhood. Where will they play their games?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

Don’t think the Munster thing was a big impact. Maybe she feels she can add no more to the players

According to the Independent travel a factor as she's based in Sligo.

She is up there with a young family too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭newhouse87

If mayo could get her, if she wins an all ireland with them shes a magician.

Hard game to get the head around today. Na Piarsaigh looked very poor by their standards but were still ahead going into the various end games. Doon looked good and certainly the more lively but we're obviously not good enough to win.

Sudden death penalties was a fitting way to end a game where both teams looked too scared to take their chances to win the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Doon really are an enigma aren't they? Considering the quality they were missing it's hard to see how they could have put in that level of performance. I feel with the quality and quantity of players they have that it's only a matter of time before they get over the line if all were available.

I know they were missing o donoghue but na piarsaigh look in decline to me at least from the heady highs of yrs ago. Doesn't mean they won't beat the well in the final

Advertisement