Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How did it go today? I take it that it did not launch.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ohh my thoughts exactly when they all cheered for the explosion.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lots of debris, which probably isn't good for the engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thA8jlgcJ-8 parked cars got walloped.

Launch video https://youtu.be/-1wcilQ58hI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wish there was a way to watch these launches without audience participation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Especially when you look at each of the other hops - it took a few goes before we got the successful landing...that beast reaching Max-Q yesterday was a massive milestone in itself!

Would be curious to see some pics of the launch pad, there's a real lo-res one of the crater underneath, wonder if they'll consider flame diverter for the next iteration.

And on their iterative testing...there's always this gem (Uploaded by SpaceX themselves )

They try and try and try again til they get it right - how many Falcon 9's have they recovered in a row now?

Quite a few negatives being portrayed in the media today about the launch attempt, but I guess that was always going to be the case.

But in my uneducated opinion, I think their was far more positives to take from it.

First of all they managed to get this massive rocket off the ground and clear the OLM successfully, which was their foremost priority.

Starship reached Max Q and not only that, when it did start to go out of control doing loops all over the place, some how it still held together, and did so until the FTS was activated, not sure how it managed to stay in one piece until then.

Ok so there was significant damage to the area around the OLM and ground equipment. However their can be no doubt now that something needs to be done about this, I think some kind of flame diversion is looking like a must now.

The booster and starship was destroyed but the next iterations replacing them already have significant upgrades, if they can sort out some of the reliability issues with these raptor engines, along with something like a flame diversion system to stop debris flying up damaging the engines, then I think there is every reason to be optimistic about the next few launch attempts.

The only big negative for me now, I think we could be in for quite a long wait until there is another launch attempt, despite musk saying its in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Overall positive and honestly with the main stream media I viewed fairly balanced reporting, usual nonsense from randoms on twitter, Berger/Davenport good reports. Seem the HPU's failed and debris might have mesed up engines plus bad engines. Two issues I would point out, while overall a win and positive two worries that I think will just incur more delays they will sort them just not as fast as some might have imagined:

1) Raptors are still giving issues, was surprised to see 3 out at launch and more on the way up (maybe debris) with 33 and wanting to lift plenty this a reliability/manufacturing issue. I assumed since SN15 this was kinda ironed out, guess not.

2) The bigger issue, the OLM - there was the one griany photo showing the crater - to me I cannot tell is it a crater or just surface that needs redoing but everyone seems to think the former. This could be a big hold up. From reading it seems digger deeper at Bocca is a no go since proximity to water. This makes a trench thing harder, they can't really increase the height much without massive rebuild. The water deluge system might help but wont solve this. I guess some sort of diverter, but that was a lot of trust. Moreover the already have the same system in place at Florida. There might be a long think about what to do next. I was hoping for SN8/9 type test cadence, thats out the window. But they will solve it, just time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Yeah, that OLM damage is probably the biggest negative mark out of this test. There’s not only the crater itself and it’s undermining if the mount, but also where all that material ended up. The high speed projectiles filmed hitting the various YouTubers remote cameras and cloud of dust falling on the nearby towns would not be welcome by their neighbours at the Cape!

it’s very possible that the bulk of the problems on the vehicle itself were down to flying debris and that if they solve that, they have a working booster. But it might take a significant OLM redesign, we’ll see if this BF Metal Plate cuts it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Excellent matter-of-fact analysis from Scott Manley as always ("Holy Shitballs, its going" excepted🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

SpaceX just posted a vid on Twitter of the launch, Elon replied underneath, looking like maybe August for next launch attempt

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1662251874936934400

@elonmusk

Major launchpad upgrades should be complete in about a month, then another month of rocket testing on pad, then flight 2 of Starship

2:05 AM · May 27, 2023

@NASASpaceflight

Elon says the next Starship launch is in 6-8 weeks.

And this is where the replies to that timeline are all "No chance, bruv!"

Not impossible. Pad mods are in the final stage now. Ship 25 is about to Static Fire. Install steel plates and deluge system, do some OLM testing. Get the Tank Farm ready to rock and roll. Rollout Booster 9. Static Fire B9. Stack the vehicles. More testing. FAA says "Ye!" Send it.

Possible ship 25 static fire as soon as tomorrow..?

Just seen this from Chris Bergin (not affiliated to NASA) quote tweeting a now deleted Elon Musk tweet, so....

@NASASpaceflight

Elon says there's a much higher chance of getting to orbit with the second test flight due to vast amount of mods.

Late breaking change to staging - now hot staging(!).

"Never stop thrusting" - Elon Musk

Ship engines will fire up before all the Booster engines shutdown. Now need vents for hot staging. Adding an extension to the booster that is all vent and more shielding to the top of the booster. It's the most risking thing for the next flight.

Launch pad upgrades and Booster/Ship ready in six weeks.

1000 cubic meters of steel reinforcement below the OLM. Then a steel sandwich water suppression system on top, with overkill to help the base of the pad.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1672607239608172544…

This Tweet was deleted by the Tweet author. Learn more

A couple of comments underneath:

Not in a row but SpaceX recently had their 200th rocket landing after an orbital launch. https://www.space.com/spacex-200th-rocket-landing-video

Hot staging solves problems. No ullage issues so turbopumps are getting proper liquid diet and aren't gulping gases. The Russians were big fans of this prior to Angara.

Meanwhile over at ULA they have painted themselves into a corner and are dependant on snout in the trough Bezos' engine. But think of the time they saved by not going with Rocketdyne “Certified AR1 engines, in rate production, will be available in 2019 — before any competitor’s engine,”

seems to be some testing going on, possible 6 engine static fire on Ship 25

10 minute siren just sounded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-TSySI6DY

Edit: video here, 5 second static fire

@SpaceX Ship 25 completes a six-engine static fire test at Starbase in Texas https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1673509777819967488

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

Full pressure deluge test, looks pretty impressive, will it be enough?

• Advertisement

Nice. Will the pad survive the next attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Assuming that they get the Super Heavy rocket to work, will they ever launch it from Cape Kennedy?

Last I heard they were building a tower at pad 39a, but haven't had any updates this year that I can see? I remember seeing videos of the tower segments being built there!

Ya was all going full steam ahead, then the first flight test and the launch pad and they seemed to think ' oh ya lets see if the design actually works in Bocca before building a second one ' :)

I had heard, raising the OLM table, some beefing up of the draw works for the tower were being considered and im sure other quality of life things. There is probably some legal thing where they have to be seen doing something while 'renting/long term renting the pad'

Lastly they are in constant comms with NASA, so they might be waiting on input there or NASA might just want proof the stage zero system works first. It's spacex, like a child seeing a shiny thing.

D'oh, that makes a lot of sense! Things do appear to be progressing nicely at Boca Chica though. Roll on IFT2!

@StarshipGazer

Starship 25 stacked on Super Heavy Booster 9 today. Launching soon! Current launch window is 9/8 to 9/13 (9:10 am to 12:50pm each day)

thats Friday through till Wednesday, 15:10 to 18:50 Irish time each day

So X is kinda hard to follow in terms of chronological order, but seems FAA closed the report and suggested 63 items with 6 being for post Flight 2, so 57 for flight test 2 and there is a tweet showing that SpaceX have complied with all 57.

Guessing I would imagine, WDR and destack for FTS and restack and Go, I'll say last week of september.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Hopefully they don't blow the place up again and the launch cadence increases from now on.

Ms

Oh this will be amazing to see. Can not wait.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Well this obviously never happened. Any idea when the next launch window is?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement