Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

But the point is that the North Runway is closed between 23:00 and 07:00, so the aircraft aren’t flying over Oldtown during those hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

A good overall summary but unless aircraft are to be re-routed over other areas, that's pretty-well the way things are going to be. There is no part of Ireland, especially in the eastern part of the country, that is not inhabited, whether with urban areas or the much-loved one-off houses in the countryside. It's interesting that no one is talking about the option of mixed-mode operations, which would distribute noise more generally instead of concentrating it over particular areas. However I think the planning permission would have to be amended to permit this other than in specific instances. Then there would be a new outcry from those who are mostly protected at present (e.g. those under the 28R approach).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

That has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making though.

Though when there are aircraft flying over Oldtown during those hours, and there will be, then it will be too late to move. It will totally effect the value of your house if you want to sell it then.

Well you actually you made a couple of references to people there not being able to sleep at night, and I’m making the point that the runway’s restricted operating hours mean that particular point isn’t an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Have I got this right? The current flight path that fly around Ashbourne and Rathoath are “illegal”, extremely noisy, and keeping people awake at night, as stated by some. The residents want the paths changed to reflect the image below, where the planes fly directly over the towns, rather than around them which they are doing currently, especially Ashbourne. Seems a bit strange to want them to fly over the towns rather than around them if it’s the noise that’s the issue. Wouldn’t that be eh, louder!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

Is this a new issue, or did you have the same issue when RWY16 is in OPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

They don’t fly around Ashbourne and Ratoath.

They are flying directly over them.

I dont remember ever hearing a plane from that office before and ive been going there 9 years now.

strange, because it's slap bang under the approach for RWY16 and you would have aircraft at 2000 ft or so (much lower than the aircraft you're complaining about)

ABP have rejected a request from the residents to have an oral hearing in relation to the appeal over nighttime flights.

Hopefully on the right track to be granted?

Separately both Aerlingus and Ryanair have joined DAA in the court appeal against Fingal.

• Advertisement

No never heard a plane from that office before this year. Ive seen them outside once or twice and they definitely werent as noisy as they are now. I certainly didnt see them often and never heard them inside for sure.

Maybe they are more frequent now or maybe there is a difference between the noise of one taking off and one landing. Im not an expert on planes. I can just tell you that there is a huge difference in noise out there now. I cant tell you why though.

sounds like Baader–Meinhof

where you're located, departing traffic will 90% of the time be somewhere between 5-9 thousand feet (if departing westwards and using the northern loop around, they're at about 3.5-4 thousand feet by Ashbourne).

Where, as mentioned, RWY16 landings will be around 2,000 ft,on final approach.

RWY16 was operational for all of Wed 27th Sep ... possibly even more recent than that, and is used a lot more during winter during crosswind conditions, so it's not a case of it barely being used.

There is a huge difference in sound to a jet plane (even if it's in descent, compared to gaining altitude) at 2000 ft over 5 to 9 thousand feet.

If they’re only working there 3 days a month per the original post, then it’s perfectly possible that they never witnessed a 16 approach.

No I have seen one or two low flying planes over the years. No more than a handfull in total. They werent that loud and some could have flown over when i was inside and i never would have noticed them as they wouldnt be loud enough. Not nearly as noisy as the ones that i see and hear there every time im out there nowadays. Those ones you could never miss even when inside. They would wake the dead tbh.

Loud enough to wake the dead, at 5000-9000 feet? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It was used less than 4% of the time 2022 and so far less than 2% this year... that actually is the very explanation of the word "barely" used.

Barely would be less than 1%

flip these stats another way.... if the runway wasn't used, and flights were cancelled on the 4 and 2% of use.... you would notice how much it is used.

Without the specific stats to hand, and taking a 24/7/365 operation as an example... you're talking about roughly 2 weeks of it in ops at 4%

they're in for a treat if 28L and 28R departures are spooking them

If I'm diving in an underwater cave and my oxygen tanks warns me I've 4% left... I would say "oh no, I've barely any air left"

It's all relative. Barely does not mean 1%, it's just your opinion.

depends on tank size, depth and air mixture.... 4% could be quite adequate for another 10 mins worth underwater.

Air discharge under pressure isn't linear, so %'s are not a reliable mechanism of measure.

if 1% is just an opinion, how is your 4% Gospel?

• Advertisement

You'd argue with your own shadow.

This barely warrants a response, you choose which percentage of me cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

Reductio ad absurdum….^^^

Lets just say then that if I was asleep in that office, that I doubt I would be a sleep for long.

I understand that some people dont think these planes are loud. I do. As does everyone else in the office who stops talking when one flies over, and resumes talking when it has passed.

In fact I just arrived at that office i was talking about 10 minutes ago and they are very loud already this morning. Some much louder than others. I woudlnt be going for a nap for sure.

10L being used for arrivals (North runway facing east) ...

northern arrivals being vectored to point merge are at least 3nm north of Ashbourne and Oldtown, at 6000 ft average.

for comparison ...southern arrivals are passing between Kilcock/Maynooth at about 3.5-4000 ft at about 1nm away from each (some directly overhead). Theya re also getting the Atlantic traffic, where most of the northern arrivals are Ryanair 737's and Aer Lingus A321's

Anyone from Maynooth having trouble sleeping? or is it just the north and north west districts around Dublin who solely have this issue?

Id say it would only be the take offs that might bother your sleep. I lived in Swords for many years and hardly ever heard a plane and that was a lot closer than this office in Oldtown is. Its planes taking off going full throttle over you thats the problem here.

I have a friend who used to live in Rolestown about 100m from the church. Sometimes I was in his house or garden, when they came in to land over his house, which was rare enough anyway, planes would be coming in to land right over your head. You could nearly see the people in the windows they were that low. The noise was nothing at all compared to the noise of planes taking off and climbing over Oldtown, even this morning.

The noise of a takeoff and the noise from a landing are two totally different levels. I dont think its the landings that are waking people up tbh. This morning they were on the ascent when they were going over Oldtown. That is when they are noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Iridium66

Sorry, but I'm calling total BS on this.

On this map (if Boards allows me to post it), the briefcase icon is where I worked just south of the M50 for 8 years up to 2020 and the house icon is where I have been living (and now also work) since 2019, both less than a mile from where the start of RWY 28L meets the start of RWY 34.

While one can hear departures, especially from RWY16 (1000-1200ft almost directly overhead), but also easterly departures from the (now) 10R, not once was any conversation interrupted (and the old workplace was a call centre) by a departing aircraft. Never in that 8 years did anyone mention being put off by departing aircraft. I would say I was once awakened by an aircraft departing RWY16, and that was probably the first time the runway was used after I moved in, and I am not a heavy sleeper. Funnily enough, I knew I was going to be beside an airport when I moved in.

While I accept that 16/34 is not used nearly as often as the east/west runways, prior to the original east/west runway opening 30+ years ago, far more (and louder, ‘Summer in Dublin’, anyone?) aircraft were departing over much more populated parts of Dublin, and both east/west runways were planned as far back as 1968.

Total bullshit. Have you had your hearing checked by any chance? I really cant understand people here trying to pretend aircraft going full throttle on takeoff and ascent are not extremely loud. I think there is a bit of fan bias creeping in there, or they are deaf.

No one denies there’s noise from aircraft but you have two options when faced with it.

1) Carry on as normal, get used to it and block it out. Or 2) moan and cry to anybody who will listen to how hard done by you are.

It’s amazing how easy it is to get on as normal when you choose option 1.

Coming from someone who lives under a flight path.

• Advertisement

Daa have begun talks with airlines as they are due to breach the 32m cap. Wonder will this lead to many cancellations?

Advertisement