Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BYD Seal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭grumpygit

Not sure how relevant this manual is to the spec provided to Irish market but might give some insights to its capabilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭rdhma

There's a break-in period of 2000km?

News to me that an EV would need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭John arse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Break in wording. Seems strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I think they do a PHEV version in some markets so it's probably just in there for that.

Yeah advice for an ICE model obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I've seen similar in one of the Leafs I've had. Basically take it easy for 1500km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭rdhma

First video I've seen of an RHD Seal, from Singapore, where some people have already taken delivery.

Be thankful we are not paying their prices, it's as much as a Taycan Turbo S is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

@derekreilly @MarkN

Gents, Any indication yet from BYD when ye will get an opportunity to do a test drive here in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭grumpygit

Rumour has it the next two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

Yep, called MSL Cork today and they said demo models should be in around two weeks. RWD available soon and AWD should be ready for Jan 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Ah that's a shame there won't be a 232 reg AWD. Would have through both models would be brought out simultaneously. Are the demo models for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

I said I was interested in the AWD myself and he replied that the demo should be in at some point this year, but only the RWD is scheduled for the next two weeks. I take that as meaning the AWD might be available as a late 232, but it's not expected in the initial batch anyway.

I'll be taking a test drive of the RWD anyway to see how I like it, only major differences are power and adaptive dampers as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Interesting, thanks for getting back on that. Think the AWD also gets the HUD but not sure if much more as even the very basic version that's coming next year is very highly specced.

Main thing is to get a feel for the cabin and the whole UI which you just can't get from a review.

Navan Road told me AWD will be available in October. I have a cost to change for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Same, have agreed numbers.

I've been told that RWD will be available to test drive within the next two weeks and expectation that vehicle will be available for collection in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭MarkN

Haven’t heard a word. Dolphin seems to be delayed that’s all I know.

Anyone know if we'll have a choice of interior? Always seems to be the Henry Ford choice when it comes to upholstery. Any colour as long as it's black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Buttros

I think it's just tahiti blue interior in the first shipment anyway. The catelog has black too but not an option according to the sales guy I spoke to initially

Cheers!

Have to see it in person first but the tahiti blue interior reminds me a lot of the old mercedes blue interior and tinted glass combo. Wonder if there will be other options down the line. As someone who prefers brighter interiors given the massive sunroof black could be good and keep the interior more minimalistic.

It's actually a good point about the sun roof. I really dislike the complete monotony of a black interior, but with all the light streaming in maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Has anyone thought about exterior colours?

The Matt grey or their version of it is my choice.

Yeah i’m thinking the mid/dark Atlantis grey or black personally - getting a bit ahead of myself I know,very interested to hear of test drive thoughts on here shortly hopefully?👍

I will never own another black car if I can have my way. Despite my valeting bay built into the side of the house, it’s just a nightmare to keep in good condition.

Jeez you're obviously fussy about your cars?😁

I’d be particular alright.

Even when I bought beaters or bangernomics, I ke-t say saying, just park anywhere. Don’t care about it. I end up cleaning them up and making a few quid each time 😆

• Advertisement

I’m liking Polar White with black interior or Indigo Grey with the blue one. The green one looks quite unique but only really goes with black and could be a bit too armyish…

Polar white is lovely too, I love white cars but I’ve had about 12 white cars now. It may depend on the actual depth of white in the flesh. The tesla is a multi coat with pearl effect, but my bmw is alpine white which is quite flat looking at it.

Id love to see the green in the flesh too as that could be a bold choice but a good choice to be different!

Just thinking the green would be handy if you're a gangster burying a lot of people in the Dublin mountains,just for camoflauge purposes???🤗🤗🤗

The white, at least in asian market samples has a pearlescent sparkle finish on it and looks quite nice up close in video. A flat white just screams basic spec to me tbh. Lack of options sure makes it easy to picks but funny to see us all ready to buy a car nobody has driven yet 😂

I’m still on the fence tbh

It will need to be shine as the current M3P is a tough act to follow.

I ordered the black with the blue interior.

It'll be a nightmare to keep clean I know but a shiny black car is also tough to beat.

Can always wrap it any colour you want. Providing you don't mind adding a few grand on top of purchase price.

• Advertisement

Of the brochure colours, ice blue or Atlantis grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭derekreilly

No word yet on an Irish press launch date. I think Dolphin is next but they could do both on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

There’s a Dolphin on foreign plates (possibly Spanish, I haven’t gotten a good look) driving around my local area, I’ve spotted it twice while out for walks. Doesn’t look too bad, not particularly modern looking but non-offensive.

Interested to see what the Seal looks like in the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 itsmeitsme

I'm keen on a RWD for the second EV in our house (we have an EV6 since Jan 2022 and it is a fabulous car).

People are extremely brave to order Seals without the chance to see just how annoyingly BYD have chosen to implement their ADAS. The reviews are not positive in that regard and having read the user manual for the car, it appears that turning off annoying systems via the steering wheel will not be possible (other than "Intelligent" Cruise Control). As a result, there will be a significant amount of touch screen tapping required every time the car is switched on or there will be alot of beeping to be suffered. It appears that the car will also beep at you anytime it detects you are over the speed limit and potentially everytime you move from one limit to another also, if true that would become really annoying rather than an assistance.

For comparison, my EV6 turns lane keep assist on by default each time the car is switched on, however pressing and holding a button the steering wheel for 3 seconds turns it off everytime. Having to go into touch screens each time to do that would be really annoying. Lane keeping is great on the motorway, I always turn it back on for motorway use, however it is definitely not something you want switched on whilst on Ireland's non motorway road network. The EV6 shows the current speed limit on the dash, which is really helpful, I like having no penalty points, but thankfully it doesn't beep if I go over the limit.

As an example of terrible assistance system implementation, I test drove a new Kona recently and it beeped relentlessly, I've never been in a more distracting and annoying car, no way I'd recommend it to anyone. On the test drive it beeped everytime the speed limit changed, it beeped at me for being 1km/h over the limit, beeped at me for taking my eyes off the road to adjust the heating (a steering column mounted camera was monitoring me), beeped at me to take a coffee break and finally beeped because it determined that we were going to hit the car in front when we were no closer than adaptive cruise control would keep you. It was laughable for a finish, even the salesman was roaring laughing. Some, perhaps even all, of that could be turned off via touch screen menus every time the car was switched on according to the salesman but he wasn't sure how. In any case, we had seen enough to know that we didn't need this kind of nonsense everyday!

Let's hope that the reports of BYD's really poor implementation of ADAS aren't true or it will ruin the ownership experience. I'm looking forward to a test drive!

Post edited by itsmeitsme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Buttros

The deposit is fully refundable.

I've read about the issues you mention. It's definitely my main concern. I've not owned an EV before. I'll test drive a couple others for comparison when I get a chance to drive this. Would I be correct in saying some of these issues could be lessened with software updates in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 itsmeitsme

Where there are bugs in the software, yes, updates should fix them. For example, there are plenty of reports of the cameras picking up incorrect speed limits and lane keep assist tugging at the wheel when drivers were between the lines.

However, expect the overall experience to be as you see on test drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DrPsychia

Apart from a few minor issues, the Seal gets high praise from Thomas. He says the interior is comparable to the EQE, more interior space than the Model 3. I love the interior and the HUD. I wish they made an Estate version.

Autogefuhl is my favourite motor YouTube channel. Praise from Caesar indeed.

No.

But I bought a BMW i4 without test driving it too.

Deposit is fully refundable as pointed out by others

Agreed the reviews all mention too much beeping etc but that can be fixed via software and I reckon BYD will push fixes a lot more often and quicker than the legacy automakers.

I've had two i4s and I can count on one hand the number of updates I had.

Looking forward to a test drive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭derekreilly

No word yet on a date. Waiting on enough cars to arrive for a press launch

• Advertisement
Advertisement