Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hummingbird Project

There are many similarities and many differences between the two situations. To draw a comparison between the tactics of Putin and Netanyahu are on the face of them almost identical situations. However, with Russia and Ukraine, it’s a long drawn out war. With Gaza and Israel it will be a couple of days maybe couple of weeks max. Restricting supplies for two weeks is nothing like switching off heat in icy winter for Ukraine where mass freezing to death is likely.

Gaza needs to be evacuated to prevent humanitarian crisis. Not so with Russia. Because of the proximity of Gaza and the enclosed nature of it, a restriction of essentials clears the space and prevents the civilians getting bombed by getting them out. You might say the same applies with Ukraine. But it doesn’t because it is a much larger land mass.

Civilians are much less likely to be hit because the combatants are in the open on the front lines. The combatants don’t endanger their civilians. So you don’t need to clear them of the land by starving them out in Ukraine. Any attempt to starve them out there is, and this is the key difference, an attempt to kill civilians not get them out of the target area.

Finally, let’s look at the leaders. Putin is holding down his population in bondage due to false elections and mass propoganda. Netanyahu as bad as he is isn’t near using nukes or threatening to use them. He doesn’t kill his political opponents and operates in a democracy. Democracies are less likely to go to war than autocracies. Israel is threatened regularly and in that sense is fighting for survival. Russia is making a land grab with little chance of it being made extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Stay out of it, it's a difficult situation - the elders have the right idea.

Like **** I'd be crazy enough to post anything associated with the crisis in my name on social media. More than likely I've colleagues aligned with either side. It's way to sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You asked for evidence. It was given but nope any excuse to avoid engaging with it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yes we hear the same thing, the stumble over the word "see", and then the "have confirmed".

Why would he say both?

Have you ever seen had confirmed things?

Or have you either

A. Seen or

B. Had confirmed

Generally speaking they don't go together. He also says they are photos of terrorists beheading babies, so if taken at face value are we to believe the terrorists were losing for photos while in the act?

Again, I'm not even saying it didn't happen. I'm not saying children or babies were not butchered or decapitated. It's also happening tonight, it happens. No argument about that, and it is horrific whatever the circumstances. If the likes of the UN were to be making this claim though it would hold a lot more water.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭REDBULL68

Let's hope Egypt gets on side and opens the corridor out ,I wrecken Israel will go in tomorrow or Friday,

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

In previous news, the Kuwait babies

who knows what they showed Biden, an itchy and scratchy cartoon maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

Israel should allow and be supporting for an escape corridor to enable innocent Palestinians to leave the Gaza strip, however all Hamas should be terminated on sight, no prisoners, no jail, just terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There's no sides to take here.

Israel's treatment of Palestinians has been a disgrace for generations.

Hamas massacring innocent people doesn't do anything to help the plight of their already embattled people.

We've heard pro Israeli commentators in the media talking about how Israel needs to take revenge and almost all pro Palestinian commentators have gone to great lengths to not condemn the actions of Hamas.

Why anyone would want to align themselves with either side of this mess is beyond me.

The only position to take is to call for peace and reconciliation, particularly from people like us who are thousands of miles away cheerleading the deaths of actual human beings.

This isn't a football match or prize fight, real people are dying and the response of far too many people is to pick a side and cheer them on.

Anyone engaged in such behaviour, be it on this platform or all the way up to our political classes should be absolutely fvcking ashamed of themselves.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I haven’t seen the evidence.

Quote this post and link the evidence please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Augme threadbanned

This tweet from Von Der Leyen is in no comparable to the war in Gaza. War in Ukraine and the cutting off supplies food, water and gas there totally different and much more sinister than Netanyahu trying to clear Gaza to prevent humanitarian disaster. One (Gaza/Netanyahu) is designed to prevent humanitarian disaster, the other situation (Ukraine/Putin) is done specifically to target civilians and cause humanitarian disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Augme

*Posted this before I saw the threadbanned*

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its amazing how according to the hysterics the Israeli's ONLY kill innocent women and children. A 100% rate like that is incredibly unlikely.

In what circumstances are you ever going to see the evidence for yourself?

Given the nature of the atrocities?

Well?

Unless you want to look for it yourself in the dregs of the internet.

It will always be mediated through another party. It has been confirmed by President Biden based on confirned evidence. That is evidence in itself. Such a claim would not be made lightly.

If you wont accept that that is on you but as far as Im concerned Bidens confirmation makes it a statement of fact and anyone who says otherwise is an atrocity denier at this point.

There appears to be no evidence of the baby killing attrocity. It appears to be an effort to manufacture consent to starve over 2 million people to death that Netyapu calls Human Animals.

The Israeli terrorist organisation IDF have been murdering and plundering Palestinian's for a long time. I've no idea why you're pushing the USA narrative. Even Varadkar has pushed back against the proposed destruction of the Gaza power plant.

Goodnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Who is saying that?

Would be pretty incredible to think they never take down one legitimate target surely. All the money they get/spend on defence, their intelligence agencies have taken a bruising after the weekend but surely they can still identify a legitimate combat target now and then!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Hamas started this. They started a horrible chain of events. It is an escalation of the status quo realities as bad as they may be. Hamas are fighting an unwinnable war. When you look at the various ways of resolving this or winning the war from their perspective it is unwinnable.

Therefore the only way of fighting is for the complete annihilation of the planet. No outcome results in them winning their land back. That’s not stubbornness by the west, it’s a calculation based on the militaries in this and the various regional and global escalation points if it escalates beyond regional conflict.

So the outcome is not possible for Hamas and you therefore have to call them madmen. At what point do you not value your own life over your belief in a piece of land or trying to prove yourself right beyond death and say I am going to take my family and make a better life for myself elsewhere.

Take your family and get out. The stubbornness of belief in history and nationalism is a form of mental sickness and we see it all too often and everywhere nowadays all over the world. Get out, make a life for yourself, never forget your loved ones but make the world a better place not a horrible warlike place.

Israel is going nowhere and never will do the war is not winnable for Hamas and Hezbollah. Israel will give them hope of starting another generation but if they don’t learn the lessons and start another war in another generation the same will happen again. Calling score on war crimes and oneupsmanship is futile in this situation.

Post edited by Hummingbird Project on

Well actual evidence from credible sources might help.

Not the USA where weapons of mass destruction in IRAQ proved to be a lie.

And thats it, just the truth and facts is what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

the weaponizing of imagined/concocted "atrocities" in order to demonize your enemy is an age old tactic. it makes it much easier to slaughter them once you've demonized them.

the Jews of all people ought to understand this.

Again - you wont ever see the actual evidence.

President Biden is a credible source. You are referring to something that happened 20 years ago under a different administration.

At this stage there is zero reason to doubt Bidens bona fides in this matter.

As far as Im concerned and I think the wider world in general is concerned this has been confirmed as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RIP Kim

her mother grieves her dead baby tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭amandstu

Hamas has 2 million hostages and an ideology that says they will get eternal life if they die in battle.

I don't see how they can be defeated.

Even if you were to take out each one they have indoctrinated some million children ,some of whom will carry on their fight.

I saw that the population of Gaza went up from 340,000 in 1970 to 2,000,000 now.(correct?)

Is that some kind of a policy or just a by product of social norms and living conditions?

I seem to remember Hamas (or was it the PLO ?) had a policy of using children/babies as "suicide" bombs a good few years ago.Just coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

A US President saying something makes it a fact as far as you are concerned!

Good to know.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

The atrocities have been confirmed as fact. More with every passing day.

The assault on the festival was an atrocity and it spread from there to whole families.

The Jews know? You mean the ones on the receiving end of the atrocitie

The dead know.

• Advertisement

They can’t win. That’s different from not being defeated. They won’t be defeated because Israel follows humanitarian law and will allow them to resettle and regrow.

Advertisement