Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for Paris for Rwc games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What can women bring in to stade de France as regards bags? Herself says she's bringing the big handbag out with her, whatever that is.

Will there be any problems bringing that in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They will just do a quick search. Shouldn't be a problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I did some more googling and it seems the on day pass WILL work to/from CDG same day for any add-ons. There's some Orly train that isn't included but that doesn't affect us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The link someone posted above said backpacks no larger than A4 size can be brought in, so I’d say similar would apply to handbags…

the main thing would be to not have small (or large) heavy/bulky items in the bag that could be used as projectiles….

the link above also says external batteries were allowed in, but a guy in front of me had one that was no bigger than 2-3 iPhones and the guy wasn’t letting him take it in….. the guy was pleading that he needed it to charge his phone etc… but the security guy was having none of it….. I had a smaller older battery (no bigger than maybe 2 cigarette lighters) and it was fine..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I had a similar size one taken off me also, though it's kept in the deposit and you get it back it's worth noting. Smaller ones are fine (or large ones below some coats in a bag that they don't see...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭pauraic1990

Hi all,

We will arrive in Paris CDG at 11pm this Friday.

I am aware of RER and Metro but take too long to get to our Airbnb.

Should there be plenty of Taxi availability in that hour of the night or should I better use the private transfer.

I am aware of Fake Taxi and staying away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭joficeduns1

There are rail strikes this Friday so I'd imagine there will be increased pressure on taxis and alternatives. We arrive in CDG at 5pm so expecting a bit of a delay in getting to central Paris.

Lads (and ladies), cargo shorts are your friend in stadiums, avoid the need for any bags.

Transport strikes will add pressure on taxis etc, there's always uber or book a transfer via booking.com etc

• Advertisement

I tried this first match and they still took my battery pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If train strikes, yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JuanBarry

Noticed an odd quirk with flights to Paris the weekend of the final. Dublin to Paris with air France is €318 one way. Dublin to Lyon is €191. The Lyon flight has a stop over in CDG. The first leg is on the exact same plane

WTF. I normally take my charger in my cargos pocket but that is ****.

They'll cancel your return if you try that though. In saying that, if you're not going back with them...

That's the price one way only

• Advertisement

If you can get it and you are only going one way, book it.

They're an old school airline and charge for seats different prices depending on if you are going both ways and/or depending on the flight pair you are trying to buy. Aer Lingus are the same.

At least Ryanair operate on a point to point fare basis.

I'm already sorted, booked flights to Nantes weeks ago. Just thought it was odd and possibly useful for somebody else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

This is known in the trade as 'skiplagging', Common in some countries like the U.S..

Airlines really hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Drive from Holyhead. Be grand!

(one of our group was a guy who drove over from Cornwall in a converted Berlingo. Only lad in an English jersey in the fanzone that we saw for Ireland South Africa, fair play to him. Great craic too.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

OK somehow got tickets this afternoon for me and wife.. However childcare requirements mean cannot just take ferry.. Would love to but too long. Trying to find the best way over now and getting tricky. I would rather not resale back into the site. Really want to go but we cannot spare days each side to travel.

Any more tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

If you cant get sorted then PM me, My brother in law & his wife over in France doing different regions so looking to go to match this Saturday

Just on the Navigo App. I DL it and bought ten tickets for €16.90. Used it to get into a station and jumped on to the RER to Stade de France. Got there and girl was clicking everyone by so Win win....Gates were opened on way back and walked straight onto RER back to Chareles De Halles stop I think it was called. Used the app to get out of station

Try Luftansa or Air France/KLM for indirect options which are probably your cheapest option at this stage.

Bit of a slog, but Dublin to Frankfurt to Munich to Paris CDG… gets you there in plenty of time if you don’t mind the early start… and your back in Dublin before lunchtime on Sunday..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭BullBauld

We got back yesterday from Paris. Ferry over and back. Down to Lyon last week for NZ v Uruguay and then hit Paris for the big one. A bit of driving but it flew and saw loads of the countryside.

Paris was great craic, so many Irish and altogether very relaxed. We got RER D from Chalelet to Saint Denis and it was perfect, no crowds. Same on way back in, half empty carriage. The bigger RER's can handle the crowds alot easier than the metro's.

I would advise to get out there early, soak in the atmosphere, have a few beers, look in the official shops and chill before the match.

Very jealous of anyone going this weekend.

OK flying to gatwick and eurostar to Paris... Cutting it a bit closer than I would want to kick off but have 3 hours spare to get to stadium when I arrive (Dont want to hear this is not enough, it is what it is... Aiming to go fairly straight to ground, hope to line up accomdation to drop bag on route). ... Flying home from Paris to Dublin with Aer Lingus Sunday afternoon...

Not cheap.... But I have supported Ireland for 25 years... I want to be there more than anything.

That being said if anyone wants to house my wife and I for a night we will take it :)

RER B and D (B goes much closer to the stadium) both run from gare du Nord (where you arrive) to saint denis. Takes about 15 minutes so 3 hours is loads

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can probably just take your bag to the stadium and leave it at the bag drop there, probably save you a big chunk of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Three hours is still loads.

• Advertisement

Yep I think will try book some accommodation near stadium and drop bag before in hotel ideal but stadium is an option...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Does anyone know when the RER trains start on Monday mornings? I have an early flight from CDG and when I googled the RER times it says it starts around 5:15-5:30am but when I check the RATP app its say there are RER trains from 4am.

Does anyone know which is right?

My brother is staying at the Ibis right next to the Stade again… he also stayed there for the SA game…. It’s literally a 3-5 minute walk to the ground… it’s cheerful but very convenient…

https://maps.app.goo.gl/z3Xbo72nbKJE7LkA7?g_st=ic

@zambrotta11 Depends where you're going from of course but the earliest I can see is 04:53 from Gare du Nord.

Seeing very little in terms of updates for the RER B and the strike action tomorrow. Has anybody seen/heard what the impact will be from CDG?

Thanks ended up booking hotel right next to Gare Du Nord. Arrive in here on Eurostar and hope to run across to hotel and drop bags and passports safe away. Then train up to stadium.

Also more convenient to maybe do a few things on Sunday morning before I have to fly back in centre of Paris.

I feel not going to be very productive at work today/tomorrow.

I feel not going to be very productive at work today/tomorrow

been having a very non productive week in work since Monday lunchtime when I miraculously bagged 3 tickets!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Both RER lines B and D run north from Gare du Nord twoards the stadium, although they stop at different stations near the stadium.

• Advertisement

Metro map:

Strike of October 13: traffic disrupted at SNCF on Friday in Ile-de-France

Train traffic will be disrupted on Friday October 13 on several RER and commuter train lines this Friday due to an inter-professional call for a strike. No disruptions, however, at the RATP.

RATP = metro, bus, trams

The RER lines C, D and E as well as the Transilien lines H, L, N, R and U are affected. More detailed forecasts will be given by SNCF on Thursday at 5:00 p.m.

On the other hand, traffic will be normal at RATP, a company spokesperson told France Bleu Paris.

Anyone got any tips for what we could do with an 8yo boy on Saturday morning in Paris?

Last weekend we did The Eiffel Tower & Arc de Triomphe (in glorious sunshine), so those boxes have been ticked, but this Saturday the weather won't be as nice... (certainly not in the time we'll need to wait before checking into hotel anyway).

Arriving into CDG at around 9am, so the plan is head to the hotel to drop off the bags (so maybe by around 10am-10:30am), and from there we'll have a few hours to kill before being able to check in at 2-3pm....

Was thinking maybe the Aquarium de Paris or The Louvre (though junior would probably find it boring, and I don't want to do any queuing), or maybe even a riverboat tour which go for about 1-2 hours... ? Anyone got any ideas?

There's an interactive science museum. I haven't been to the one in Paris but looks as good as any of the ones I've been too in pictures anyway. Looks like a lot of the interactive stuff is in "cité des enfants" which the general ticket doesn't cover but it's only an extra €4 for the combined ticket

me too, but it pales in comparison to how unproductive I am going to be on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mr chips 55

Thanks for that. Will probably order one now instead of buying it at the game to keep it in good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Do you have a link on how to order one from here ?

Would also like to order one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Putting money ,phone ,cards into one jeans pocket and then sticking a small bottle of water in same pocket might be an option to deter pick pockets for busy metro stations and trains ,, they'd have to take the water out ,, the metros can get jammed must be a pick pockets dream .

Yup, Sister in law got dipped. Took €50 out of wallet. The girl had the audacity to say to her, is this your wallet before jumping back onto Metro...By then it was too late to react as she didn't know what happened. Experts they were.

So bought a day ticket via the Bonjour RTAP app, chose Saturday and bloody confirm and ticket in app is for Sunday the 15th.

Try to get a refund in app, that screen says it's for the 14th ?? But proceeded and says a refund is not possible.

To top things off the ticket which was showing in the app has now disappeared.

Assume the 20 quid is down the drain, will just Q up at station in CDG and buy one old school I guess as don't want to risk it with the app again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement