Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How do you deal with organisations who advocate the death and destruction of whole nations and peoples?

You target the message and show that that nation wants to co-exist. You dont' continually steal their land and property and effectively hold them under their siege.

Given Israels behavior, are Hamas not freedom fighters in the loosest definition of the term? Again, please don't misunderstand this as support for Hamas's actions, but rather acknowledgement of Israels.

Because, with respect to the part of your post I've repeated above, is that not what many in support of Israels action are effectively saying of Gaza?

So you have two groups saying the same thing, but one is probably the best supplied military on a per population basis, the other is a splinter group by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

So how should the IDF remove Hamas from Gaza are you a military expert who can see a better way?

Should the IDF go door to door looking for Hamas?

Maybe if it's impossible to destroy Hamas without killing innocent Palestinians Israel should just forget about removing Hamas.

Just improve their defense's and try stop any further attacks.

Would that be your advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Benji and his fascist coalition buddies think the indiscriminate bombing of women & children is going to make Israel more secure, and bring lasting peace to the region.

if this wasn't so awful & tragic, i could laugh. the IDF are now creating the next generation of HAMAS, ISIS or whatever form that may take.

we'll all be back here again in a few short years, and the same poster no doubt will be asking, "how could those Palestinians be so brutal?" "how could they do this?" and the usual suspects will say "i know what will sort this! let's bomb the crap outta them. that'll teach em!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Comparisons to NI are flawed on so many levels I’m not going down that rabbit hole.

I already said I’m not giving Israel carte Blanche- the best worst outcome right now is monitoring by the international community - I can still “not like” what’s happening but a bit of realism here has to come into play- you’re talking a very idealistic world- I wish it was that way but it’s not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It is shades of the Warsaw Ghetto. Every time Israel acts in this way they remind me more and more of 1930s-1940s Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

The attacks at the weekend have been covered by international media and verified repeatedly.

The story about the babies as far as I can see has come from the IDF and hasn’t been independently verified.

It could absolutely be true, but spreading this sort of horrific information about an enemy to help justify actions to the wider world has been used in war before.

Its not crazy or dismissive to ask that something as abhorrent as that story have some sort of verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Do you think the best thing to do would be to just remove the Jewish nation from the middle east?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Give Gaza their independence they say. Well that's exactly what Israel did when they withdrew all the Israelis' , Israeli settlements and forces in 2005. Shortly after Hamas declared Gaza a terrorist state and have been attacking Israel ever since - suicide bombings ,rockets , terror tunnels .. Clearly Gaza didn't take this gesture of peacekeeping and build upon it.

In another act of peacekeeping , Israeli's were barred from praying at Temple Mount as they were clashing with the Arabs who went to pray at al -aqsa mosque. That's why you see them all congregating at the wall outside. Now consider Temple Mount is Mecca to the Jews. That's pretty big concession to give in order to keep peace. How many concessions have Palestinians made over the last 90 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He didn't lie. He mis-spoke.

As for camera phone - the implication is that you want to people to have captured the evidence to send to you?

Who do you think on the Israeli side is going to share those with you?

There's posts on the thread, describing the footage seen online during the attacks shared by the terrorists, and they describe children being mutilated.

If you want to confirm it for yourself, you can look on the dregs of the internet, as any responsible social media site has blocked footage of the horrific attacks.

Hamas executed civilians at a festival, they executed entire families. That is not in dispute.

The full extent of the horrors of those deaths is sensitive and still being established. Did it extend to rape? Mutilation? There is no disinformation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

There is some moral difference because of the warnings Israel gives.

But that is a very small point in the larger context of the tension and actions that exist in the region.

The deaths are vastly greater on the side of the Palestinians, and they are the people held under siege in Gaza. Israel knows the outcomes of its actions as surely as Hamas knows the outcome of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

They're taking their orders from Allah.

We shouldn't assign them Western rationality.

OMG. the level of discussion really has nose-dived.

in a vain attempt to raise the level of discussion i would ask certain posters to look at this. you never know you might learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not dismissive or crazy to reserve judgment pending more verification.

But it is when the claims are immediately dismissed as atrocity propaganda.

At this stage all I'm asking is for it to be considered a "serious and realistic possibility" based on what we know of the agenda of HAMAS and what has been verified of the horrific attacks thus far.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You are not serious?

What concessions have Palestinians made? Eh, their land.

I would recommend Robert Fisk’s Great War for Civilization if you are interested in informing your opinion.

Also maybe read a little about Jewish religious law about praying at the Temple Mount.

Could you point out Hamas’ declaration of Gaza as a terrorist state or did you make that up?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭crusd

The establishment of a Palestinian state in something close to the 1948 borders, with Fatah being backed politically and financially, Hamas targeted, with the goal of elimination, and West Bank settlers incentivised to move would be best

I'm not comaring NI with this conflict so no need to ignore the point on that basis.

The post I was responding to suggested it was appropriate for countries experience uprisings to react with brute force as we are seeing here.

Ignoring the comparison of NI to Isreal/Palestine, as it wasn't made, that question was valid.

I'm not talking idealistic, I'm talking about recognizing the right of the Palestinians and the ignorance of Israel and that right and what this has meant for the region up to an including the acts of last weekend.

I'm not justifying those acts, I'm saying that Israel cannot be absolved from what their role has been even if for no other reason than to hold them accountable for those acts in the same way people expect Hamas to be held accountable for theirs.

What is a lie?

Did Joe Biden see images of decapitated Israeli babies or didn’t he?

• Advertisement

Jeez, you have rained your horns in from your position of emphatic certainty to maybe just consider it a possibility it could have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well while I wouldn't personally put forward that argument as being relevant or justifying anything that was done, it would have a basis in fact given that all Israeli's must do compulsory military service, after which they officially remain in the reserves.

i.e. from a pure logical point of view, there are highly likely some of the 300k that have been activated this week who might just have easily been at that festival - were it not that something came up to prevent them from attending it.

Again, I am not justifying anything. They should not have been attacked. Only pointing out logic that might be in their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Well well…no he didn’t lie, he misspoke. There is a difference.

It is true to say we don’t yet know the full extent of Hamas’s war crimes as yet given that they are still be uncovered and investigated.

But to say they didn’t happen at all is at best woefully naive and at worst an attempt to play them down and show support for a terrorist organisation.

Yes, Hamas executed civilians and the IDF executed POWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

It is what it is, it is not good and I'm not justifying evil, I'm just saying what would be the lesser evil, and the arabs living in Israel know which one it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Isn't it true though that the overwhelming majority of people killed in the conflict historically have been Palestinians? I was looking at a report on the disparity of casualties (albeit dated 2014 but I imagine the proportions haven't changed much). From 2005 until that point, 4,006 people were killed in the conflict — comprising 168 Israelis and a frankly staggering 3,838 Palestinians.

Again, I just struggle to understand the thinking and rationale that underpins the way people seem to confidently choose sides in this debate. Hamas are fundamentalist religious fanatics who would gleefully commit the same level of barbarity as last weekend a thousand times over if they had the chance. The Palestinians do have an eminently just grievance against Israeli domination, oppression and aggression — not least based on the nature of their conditions and the fact that they have died in far greater number. Israel has legitimate concerns about its defence and cannot be expected to just entirely roll over and let its people be slaughtered and Israel exists now whether people like that or not — it can't just be expected to disappear. Hatred of Israel runs further than a simple territorial dispute or "freedom fight" in the eyes of many in the Arab world and beyond — there is a religious and Jew-hating fanaticism in there too.

All these things can be true at once. The barbarities committed by both sides go far beyond what can always be called a romantic freedom fight or a reluctant obligation to self-defence. There isn't going to be Palestinian freedom or Israeli security until people can make the ideological sacrifices necessary for either thing to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

It’s safe to say you are no speech writer or academic, in my book describing what Hamas did at the weekend as “activities” is an incredibly poor choice of words, makes it sound like they were at a picnic, however I get the impression that to quote the cranberries “in your head” you are never wrong. C’est la vie.

I guess even the word “terrorist” these days is a loaded term. One groups terrorist is another groups “freedom fighter” - even that term “freedom fighter” is loaded and misused.

In terms of Hamas specifically no sorry, I definitely don’t believe they’re “freedom fighters”- they’re mass manipulators would be my best description - but as we’ve seen many times , what a groups stated aims are Vs what they actual do or end up doing to their own people (ISIS for example) can be poles apart.

Have Israel done wrong? Sure. Are Hamas freedom fighters? No, I disagree strongly on that description- the western world has been fooled too many times with those descriptions and rhetoric; western countries seem to irradiate “terrorist” organisations one day and “free” a country , only for another worse regime to take over a few years later. I think we need an international agreement around what is a terrorist regime vs what is a legitimate and recognised resistance organisation fighting an illegitimate and destructive and controlling force.

But I don’t think I’ll be holding my breath on getting that agreement 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It is only right that people are cautious about such accusations. This kind of dead baby propaganda has been doing the rounds since WWI, when the British accused the Germans of sticking Belgian babies onto the ends of their bayonets. Of course, that turned out to be nonsense. But by time it was revealed to be so, that bit of "information" had done its rounds and was integral in rousing certain anti German sentiment.

This story of HAMAS beheading babies may well turn out to be true. But until it has been verified beyond a shadow of a doubt, people are correct to remain sceptical.

Besides, there's plenty of other atrocious behaviour that can be levelled at HAMAS.

• Advertisement

Is it equally wrong to invent or exaggerate atrocities as it is, as you say to downplay them?

Advertisement