Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not just dairy farmers Bass. There are tillage and beef men here that get upset too if anyone sees things differently. I work off farm and people in that organisation are the same. It is a people thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bass he doesn't have a milking parlour.

He doesn't have dairy stock.

He doesn't rear heifers for 700 on rough ground.

He doesn't go in and buy stock off dairy farmers. He doesn't sell his own stock.

He doesn't insult tillage, beef, sheep farmers.

He does insult dairy farmers constantly on here.

You can't spread slurry legally in date on dry ground or make silage now without negative comments.

If all that is not trolling. What is?

Bass you were the one who brags constantly about how you bought your farm and paid for it through stock that others said couldn't be done. That's commercial farming. Now you are defending someone who gives out about only dairy farmers renting land. He has nothing to say against tillage, sheep, beef, potatoes renting land. If you were a dairy farmer Bass and this farmer saw you buying land you'd be labelled as greedy. This is the logic here. This is what you defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Plus 1 👍👍👍this place gone to shore lately …led by 1 or 2 and one in particular gigantic shite stirrer who takes joy in been a smart arse ….mods have a tough job but jaysus this ladddddd has had long enough 99% here wouldn’t be sad to see him turfed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Another new poster on the milk price thread had men throwing the toys out of the pram too.

There is as much sensitivity as trolling currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s a difference of opinion and then there’s just trolling.

If you’ve been following the posts from that poster then you’d see they don’t make sense. Back when he started posting he stated he was milking 155 cows and classed himself as a “big dairy farmer”. I know men milking near enough that many and they have full time jobs as well.

Then just this week he stated hes from the midlands and he’s a bigger farmer than his 3 nearest neighbours who are all derogation farmers. So his 3 derogation neighbours are all milking less than 50 cows yet the main trend in his posting is that derogation farmers are all big greedy farmers?

I’m from the midlands and contracting so I’d be in and out of a lot of yards. I genuinely don’t know 3 derogation farmers in the total area I cover, let alone 3 of them that are all joining one another and smaller farmers than their neighbouring 155 cow dairy farmer.

Like I said, it’s not hard to figure out. He’s a bulsh**ter in a fariytale land. The simplest way of dealing with him is to ignore him. There’s enough of people here giving genuine opinions and advice without needing to listen to bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye are worse for discussing him. As in everyday life there'll always be assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Was it you that said cost of production this year was 18c/l or something like that? If so, no wonder you haven’t a problem with the direction the dairy threads are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Was kinda concerned with what my tax bill could be this year but my accountant came up trumps for me. I'm gone income averaging far a while and then company it looks like. Made 1600 per cow he told me in 2021, will be up over 2k per cow in 2022 they said. I have 24 month accounts so my 2022 accounts that I pay in 2023 are for 2021 profits. It's a weight off my mind. Should have trusted them in the first place but I often find it hard to give over full control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Milk supply must be seriously tightening up our theirs lactose issues, it's usually the middle of December before milk here might have to go up to virgina, it's going up their now already 110km trip from the yard here to the factory and the haulier has a 150km trip back to his yard on the return trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

You'll still end up paying the tax with averaging just not this year. If you've plans for a company I wouldn't bother averaging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Gone to three day collection here, very early for it

I'm only farming 5 years and my first couple of years were low profit due to higher investment. So I have those low profit years for a while.

Our driver dropped to two loads a day a couple of weeks ago. Feck all milk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

Too many lads following the IFJ advice of not feeding, expecting cows to milk off watery grass while up to their bellies in puddle.

Still doing 17.5 litres here, lactose 3.74 in one yard 3.65 in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Is in not just me but when i thought of fixing i would only be able to get a very small amount fixed and i would be locked in to a contract to supply so if milk went 20 id still have to supply certain months this wouldnt suit me as id dry of the cows early and me and the woman wud go on holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not accept that.

You are misquoting him. Did he say rough ground, I have not got time to go back and re-read his posts, but I taught he said old grassland. I have a couple of unreseeded paddocks, actually I have done no reseeding in about 5 years. Those old paddocks preform very well. Actually doing my Acres application last year on a reseeded paddock that often invariably is used to outwinter on he commented on well.it holds up and how it is managed.

Like I said to you he is on the ball on the cost of rearing heifers in a system below 170kgsN/ Ha. You might not like to hear that but it on the money after initial 3 months costs in a below 170 kgs system you will not be taking third or fourth cut silage that is basically bags of water. Ya it might be up and above 80 dmd, but it will mostly be 20 or below DM. Ya it will dry out as effluent drains out if it but it's expensive feeding.

Dairy farmers have pushed hard over the last ten years and elbowed many other lads aside including other dairy farmers. Some will call it greedy. Some might not like to hear it but it probably a reality in some other farmers thinking. I have heard those conversations by other farmers and dare I say it farm advisors in the non dairy sectors

On the slurry spreading on dry ground he was off the wall. However a good few dairy farmers got caught out probably saving a bit for nearer the closing day to use it to boost grass growth. It was not that long ago when there was a month between the artificial and organic fertilizer closing date the advice was to go out with 1k gallons ish/acre in early October. You will not see that now printed but the thinking is still there.

There is no point in insulting beef and tillage farmers on a dairy farm thread.

Finally a the new proposal to grant aid specific slurry storage @70% is pi$$ing me off. Ya it has something that will not effect me but it's a stupid idea. Moving huge volumes of slurry off farm from a nutrient point of vier makes no sense from an economic or environmental point if view. It's giving a hidden subsidity to a certain cohort of farmers it's the same as Beam a few years ago it just hides the cracks in the system

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,970 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I find the bragging about buying land and snipes at others who were left it to be very ignorant of reality. In many cases lads forgo outside opportunities out of a sense of responsibility to help out their parents etc and work for years for very little because the farm can't support massive drawings.

IMHO the lad who had it handy was the one who got the stroke of luck in buying a block at 2-3k an acre while having a 9-5 regular income to back it up. And I say that as some who almost bought a sizeable enough neighbouring block here about 5 years ago (it wasn't sold in the end up) and I would have paid for it purely out of savings I had from the 9-5. No windfall from investment or anything like that - just money set aside from salary. And it wasn't that difficult to build up because I more or less could know what was coming in and I more or less know what would be going out this year and the next year and the following year. That's comfort. I say fair play to the lads who inherit their place because they likely worked far harder for what they have.

I presume that's a typo on your lactose. Doing around 4.6 here on just grass and 4kg of a 15% nut. About 1.4 kgMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Milk will be well back this backend silage is crap my own was cut mid may crap second cut june crap with meal not covering 1ltr of milk and elecrticity alot of boys ive no doubt have poorer silage than mine will be drying off early if theres a bad spring and milk price doesnt improve andvcows dont getbout sub 30 will be what alot of lads will take next spring including myself

Yes got it in last Sunday. Lucky because the harvester had a misshap in the next job.

Just watched a bit of the Gortatlea sale there on LSL, some difference between cows straight from the parlour and ones properly dried off. Easily 3 to 4 hundred in the difference cows the same weight.

Yeah the run of cows out of parlour of modern ebi is 300 to 700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

New factory pricing leaves canner cows worthless even if they kill out well, got 2 euro a kilo for 2 cows last month that averaged 300kgs deadweight, they had no flesh straight out of the parlour and on the flipside a carry-over cull made 4 euro a kilo at 340 deadweight on the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Are you sure those were cows and no elephants.......🤔😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Culls this evening in Gortatlea. Straight from the parlour cows sub a euro a kg, dried off cows 1.5+/kg, cows with good flesh 2-2+/kg.

I saw two cows one after the other both 600+kgs one make 550ish and the second made 1k+ and she only had a little flesh.

Dry off the cows lads before going to the mart or factory with them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

sold 2 cows at mart today... one weighed 650kgs... a 2nd calver that got hurt after calving last spring... out in a field for ages.. luckily she recovered... she made 1340euros... happy enuf.. other cow 780kgs made 1400... thought she would have made 1500 at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'm going into my accountant next week. I have vasiline and sudacream because I'm expecting to get totally f****ked. He's not going to bother his ass income averaging. Only pension and tell me that the client before me had paid a lot more than I did.

At least the government will spend it wisely

Advertisement