Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think it is more complex than that, and also in a way much more simple.

Palestine now has a majority who are not Jewish (I use a capital letter as here I am accepting them as an ethnic group; I use lower case for all religions). Young, well-educated Jews of European origin are leaving in droves - you'll find them all over Europe, doubtless all over the US too. This imperils the whole Zionist project, which began with massive immigration by European Jews, continued with mass expulsions of Palestinians, and then mass immigration of Jews from Muslim lands. For a time there was a Jewish majority in Palestine as a whole (including the West Bank and Gaza).

The high Palestinian birthrate and the lack of interest in the remaining Jews around the world (many of whom support Israel but don't want to live there) means that Palestinians now are equal in number if not superior in number to Jews, and that population continues to grow at a faster rate than the Jewish population.

Now the "simple" bit: The attack by Hamas provides the Yahoo with a heaven-sent excuse to carry out the ethnic cleansing of Gaza, removing two million Palestinians from Palestine and thus restoring a favourable balance of numbers for the Zionist project. I expect him to make every effort to do so, although unless Egypt is willing to accept them (unlikely, IMO) the only other possibility is to drive them into the sea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They could start by calling a halt to their expansion in the West Bank. Start reigning in the settlers. Stop undermining the PA constantly (and push them to deal with their corruption issues) and show the people in Gaza that cooperation with Israel is not just going to lead to more ethnic cleansing. That there is an alternative to resistance and Hamas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Can’t say I disagree with anything there- I’ve pretty much just said similar in my last post. The one thing that prolonged conflict in NI has taught me is that the original “Stated aims” , no matter how noble, Vs the actual reality years later, can be poles apart - “freedom fighters” organisations can morph into the most desperate shower of mass manipulators of the people it’s claiming to “save”- the IRA was one organisation, lining its pockets from the misery of others -Hamas is also one such organisation. Power over people, regardless of who those people are, seems to be the common denominator.

Im not ideologically aligned to Israel btw- however in their current action, I’m giving limited support - and for a limited time only. I hope that international pressure would bare on both sides to finally make peace but I just don’t see that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

First off, I've personally never said that Israel shouldn't respond with military means. This is a conflict, there is going to be some of that. What I have an issue with it is the proportion and the clear destruction of infrastructure that will impact 1000 civilians for every one terrorist. That and Israel's role on a broader level.

But to respond to the events of last week in the short term

• Use the vast intelligence resources to target the individuals involved or to identify training or weapons storage locations and target them in an isolated manner either through air attack, or limited but focused ground incursions.
    • Use Mossad to target the ring leaders of the attacks
    • Use the US and or the EU to help develop and enforce sanctions for the support of Hamas

Long term

• Relax their blockade of the Gaza Strip
    • Pull back from settlements that are acknowledged as being illegal.
    • Show that they are committed to finding a two state solution.
    • Show the Palestinian people that Hamas are not in their best interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hummingbird Project

Or results in power hungry nationalists that want to become martyrs. Some people in Ireland glorify that kind of thinking all the way to the top of our political leaders. It’s the type of thinking Bin Laden and AlQaeda used.

It’s a depraved form of aetheism putting more stock in land and revenge than God. It’s depravity based on a will to gain land.

Once a person crosses that line it’s very hard for them to come back and it results in you turning against the world as it most people don’t hold that energy. It breeds the most basic conditions and results in bad outcomes. It’s power hungry extremism.

• Advertisement

That's some independence when a ship that tried to dock there was attacked by Israeli soldiers, with many on it being murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The moderate voices aren't that moderate.

Ideally a 2 state solution would be the answer but you can't have 2 cultures so far apart in values beside each other.

The idea that Palestinians would ever tolerate a Jewish neighbour state, one where homosexuality is not a big deal. Women have choice and control over their lives. It's a complete rejection of everything they believe and then add in the issue of where they thing the Palestinian state should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭crusd

Your first mistake is to assume that Hamas want to do anything other than increase the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. Their goal is to stoke a response that increases the human catastrophe within Gaza with the aim of using that for propaganda purposes. That so many seem so willing to give them just that is grist to to the mill for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Gaza hospitals overwhelmed by casualties and sheltering families

Rushdi Abu Alouf

BBC News, Gaza City

"I passed by a hospital in Gaza this morning. There was a long queue of ambulances waiting to deliver casualties to the emergency room.The Palestinian Ministry of Health says 5,339 people have been injured since Saturday. Hospitals are overwhelmed, appealing for people to donate blood, and are running out of essential medical equipment and fuel.

Israel cut the electricity on Saturday - and the only power station here has stopped due to the fuel shortages.I went to another hospital yesterday to speak to a doctor. I was surprised by the number of displaced people using the hospital as a shelter. In every corner, you can find a family sleeping on the ground. They believe the hospital is safe"

How can any right minded person call Israel anything but a terrorist state?

• Advertisement

Mis-spoke, what a joke.

The rest of us recognise a lie when we see one.

As for photographing a crime scene, yes, that is absolutely normal in today's world, and the evidence is presented in court.

If you want to use the court of public opinion, the same level of evidence will be requested.

Post edited by deirdremf on

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

the IDF execute/murder civilians also.

those poster/people/politicians who seem to have an obsession with giving Israel a green light to commit atrocities, human rights abuses, and war crimes need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What Israel is doing is horribly wrong, I agree with you on that. However, the phrase "war crimes" is completely overused in this context. Here is the reference from the UN:

https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/war-crimes.shtml

1. Intentionally directing attacks against buildings dedicated to religion, education, art, science or charitable purposes, historic monuments, hospitals and places where the sick and wounded are collected, provided they are not military objectives

I have bolded the relevant piece for you. If Hamas are hiding their fighters, their equipment and their rockets in schools and hospitals, then while it is horribly wrong to bomb those places, it isn't a war crime, because of the actions of Hamas. The actual test of whether Israel is committing war crimes comes down to the level of cynicism of Hamas towards their own population. By placing terrorists and equipment inside hospitals (which has been alleged but not yet proven), Hamas would be reducing potential war crimes by Israel down to the level of acts of war.

Where you may have some better arguments would be in relation to this one:

Intentionally using starvation of civilians as a method of warfare by depriving them of objects indispensable to their survival, including wilfully impeding relief supplies as provided for under the Geneva Conventions

However, the argument that Israel would use would be that there is another border with Egypt through which trade with Gaza can take place, and that Israel's actions in closing its border and cutting links are necessary steps in self-defence which are protected and that Gaza should use the alternate border to supply its civilians. Remember war crimes is a legal rather than a moral conclusion, and that defence would have to be considered by the International Criminal Court. So, what Israel is doing is horribly wrong, morally obscene and a complete overreaction but it may not meet the definition of a war crime.

However, what can be said without doubt, is that Hamas has committed multiple war crimes in the last week, from the taking of hostages to violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture. Rape is another war crime committed by Hamas in the last week. Ironically, if Hamas had stopped at the border posts it overwhelmed and destroyed and then retreated back to Gaza, it would have been only committing acts of war. The actions it took against the music festival, against the kibbutzs and against families living in their own homes were actions that go way beyond acts of war and well into the theatre of war crimes. They are among the worst war crimes we have seen in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Fair play for posting your views- thanks, whether I agree or not doesn’t matter - it’s great to see more of these posts as opposed to “will someone please think of the children” type responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This was pointed out to boyd Barrett yesterday by Leo varadkar in the Dail yesterday

half the time poor old Joe doesn't even know which country or which state he's in.

The fact is Biden may be proven right and maybe those heinous crimes happened but at the time of speaking he knew what he said wasn't truthful and made up the story anyway. This isn't the first time Joe has made stuff up and been caught it must be a nightmare for this staff to keep having to clean up his mess. It's no wonder they shuffle him off stage quicker than Usain Bolt can run the 100 metres before journalists get a chance to ask pertinent questions.

how can any person with half a brain think this is gonna make Israel more secure/less insecure?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You saw the video of Shani Louk on the back of the van, broken and being spat on, right?

Could you not conclude from that video that a woman, stripped almost naked, unconscious, surrounded by men in a highly charged scenario could have been sexually assaulted?

Or are you another person who seems to need video proof before they believe anything? (And I'm sure if you did have video proof you'd probably conclude it was a deepfake or some other such shite)

• Advertisement

He said he did, the White House said he hadn't. The US is lying, which specific part ...

A White House spokesperson later clarified that U.S. officials and the president have not seen pictures or confirmed such reports independently. The president based his comments on the claims from Netanyahu's spokesman and media reports from Israel according to the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Of course I conclude this could have happened. The poster insisted it did happen.

There are images of dozens of Hamas fighters lying on the ground, naked and bound, surrounded by Israeli soldiers being humiliated

Due you believe all of those were raped by the Israeli soldiers?

If I insisted these Hamas fighters were raped would you automatically believe it?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You want to see videos and photographs of atrocities such as rapes and the mutilated bodies before you are convinced?

You know you're not going to get that from any reputable source given the sensitive nature of such atrocities. And the court of public opinion is well aware of that, and would not seek the publication of such evidence which would be atrocity propaganda for the terrorists and sadists.

Which is why such information cannot be shared on responsible media - and you well know there is a warning on this thread about same.

But if that's what you need to be convinced, you can look for it yourself in the dregs of the internet. That's on you.

Remember - Hamas executed civilians at a festival, they executed entire families. That is not in dispute.

Mutilation, rape, the worst forms of abuse imaginable - all are within the capabilities of Hamas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I have no idea what you are saying then or what you are trying to justify. It seems you were saying because of their intransigence to give up their claims to the land and that the Israeli culture is better that the Arabs should leave or something. It does sounds alot like what happened to the native Americans and would have happened here too if we hadnt had defeated the British. I dont favour the Arabs over the Israeli or wish one party was defeated by the other.

A lot of commentators on social media do have the opinion that we should support the Jewish people over the Arbas in this land dispute because the jews are more like us and have more Nobel prizes- its all nonsense.

It won't. Israel are playing right into Ali Khamenei's hands. This is what Iran want as they sit back back and laugh from Tehran like the evil sh its they are. If Israel want to effect change they should be looking at that and not the 2 million plus innocents in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The difference is that capturing the Hamas fighters is a legitimate act of war. Taking Shani Louk hostage is a war crime.

i honestly think there are some posters on here that believe EVERYTHING they see, hear or read on Sky, CNN, Daily Mail, RT. they swallow every bit of it hook, line & sinker.

it's a sad indictment of our educational system, that they seem incapable of critical analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hummingbird Project

And as for Mary Lou criticising Israel but saying she has many Jewish American friends, she is trying to aggrandise herself by being critical of them when she has no place to do so.

She has advocated for the committing of war crimes by the IRA as necessary, so her moral high ground doesn’t exist.

She isn’t being critical of war crimes by Israel because she believes those crimes are necessary in circumstances aligned with her goals. She is a hypcrite and has no place criticising Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭crusd

There was widespread acceptance of a two state solution among Palestinians at the time of the Oslo accords. Israelis expansion of settlements and continued apartheid policies has steadily eroded this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Im sure they will but the ultra violent, ultra fascist theological hole that is Gaza has to be neutralised as a threat first.

Certainly Iran needs taking care of as well. It is a significant global threat.

Advertisement