Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭airy fairy

As regards to dog and vaccinations.

All dogs should be chioped now anyway. But before you leave get the chip scanned in a local petshop. Sometimes the chip can travel so it's handy to know the rough area it's in.

They need a pet passport. This is got by giving them a rabies shot, has to be given at least 3/4 weeks before departure. Ours cost €175.

All dogs need a tapeworm treatment returning back to Ireland. This means getting a vet appointment away and paying approx ,€75 for the visit. We emailed a vet with good Google reviews and booked that way

This is an important appointment

Treatment has to be given with 24 to 72 hours of travel. The vet signs the pet passport with the date and time.

We were not asked to scan dog on the way out, but had to give pet passport along with our own. In our case, we were given a sticker as we got a kennel. Not keen on the pet friendly cabins on the Pont Aven. Carpet free flooring on deck 5/6 wasn't appealing tbh.

On our return, in Roscoff, we had to scan the dogs chip , they give you the scanner. Dog needs a muzzle, to go to kennels. They also carefully calculated the date the tablet was given.

Upon our entry to Cork, we were pulled aside by the dept of agriculture, all cats with dogs were pulled. Passport checked again and scanned again. This bugged me no end tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did you have to book and pay for the Dept of Ag check in Cork? Like in Dublin Airport?

No. Dept was working alongside customs to make sure the animal was vaxd and wormed.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Stayed in capfun Fredland this year and can highly recommend. Booked as a cheap and cheerful site near Disneyland but pleasantly surprised by facilities. Pool and slides excellent and mobiles were spotless. 20 mins from Disneyland. 40 from Eiffel Tower. Not as good as the other yellow villages we stayed in but very close and very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fernagx

Hi All,

We've narrowed down our choice of French campsites to:

Le Littoral

La Garangeoire

Le Clarys Plage

Le Pin Parasol.

Our kids are aged 2 and 3. We want somewhere that has the following:

Outdoor kids splash pads / pool catered for young children

Good size playground

Bike rental

Kids club/entertainment

WIthin 30 minutes drive to the beach.

Out of the 4 options which would you recommend?

Also, do people generally fly and hire a car? Or get the ferry say from Cork to Roscoff? Or even go through the UK and the Channel Tunnel.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

Been a bit too long since we’ve been with small ones in a campsite for any info to be of much use & of those you mention, we’ve only been to La Garangeoire which we particularly enjoyed.

Travelling is something that does kinda divide opinion a little as everyone has their preferred option. Having done all three, the ferry is what we choose to do, Dublin - Cherbourg most recently. The car is easy to pack, no weight restrictions, last minute bits are easily added & the holiday begins as soon as you board. We enjoy dinner, sometimes the cinema & maybe a drink in the bar before bed. Breakfast the next morning means we’re straight off the ferry & on the road south without needing to stop until well into the journey. Of course, we may bring back the odd bottle of something nice on our return journey which is also a benefit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

This sailing (dfds) was a success. Not sure if I would recommend it as family friendly, but it was cost/time effective for travelling on to Benelux/Nord France.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Ms Vacanes, Siblu and Sandaya all have their bookings open for summer 2024 if people want to book direct.

Siblu have some great value for July if people are looking at their sites. MS Vacanes are definitely more expensive but they have highly recommended sites (like Les Brunelles).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭browne_rob5

Have a look at both Ferry and fly/hire car and see how it works out time and cost wise. Ferry is great for young kids but I think all of those campsites are a 4 hour plus drive from Roscoff so might be a long trip for kids that young. Depends how they are in the car.

I haven't been to any of those sites but going to spend half of next years holiday in Le Pin Parasol. Looks like a great site.

Also any of the kids clubs I have seen only take kids once they are 4 so they might not be much use to you. Some sites will have a play area for younger kids but a parent has to stay.

Can anyone recommend campsites in the Normandy region and north east France in general.

Need to start booking soon as we're bringing a dog and mobiles and sites are limited.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

We’ve stayed in a lot of Yelloh village campsites and this is one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We're looking at fly/hire for next year. Going deeper into France and maybe even the alps so driving isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

How much do campsites normally cost. Just looked up a couple for next summer and they're around €1.75k - €2k a week. I thought they would be cheaper (looking at accomodation for 2 adults and 3 kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

all depends on when you go, where the campsite is and facilities of campsite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

We did Bonne Anse Plage in 2022 and 2023. Its a fantastic campsite and you know what you are getting weather wise. It is worth the drive down for the weather. We do 2 short stops on the way down, but we get off the ferry at 7AM on a Sunday so the drive is absolutely fine. The drive back up on the Friday is a bit of a dose and always takes longer than you think it will, more stops on the way back as traffic can be awful. All in all it is worth the drive down to get to a great campsite with almost always great weather. Our first trip was to Brittany in July 2019 and we frozen out of it, we were just unlucky with the weather when we were there that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I reckon we will hope to get the ferry on a Friday to Cherbourg, arrive in the campsite on a Saturday and then leave on a Saturday but do a stop somewhere up near Cherbourg on the Saturday night and spend two nights there. That seems to be the main disadvantage with Siblu in high season, the only check-in/check-out day is Saturday. Eurocamp are much more flexible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Try a private rental on a siblu site, they can be flexible

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LauraStar

Hi,

Does anyone have any feedback on Camping La Sardane? There are no recent reviews in English on Trip Advisor.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 idontknowdoyou

I was really struggling on where to book for next year. The prices are eye-watering for next summer. I don't want to ho back to vendee, want better weather that perhaps brittany can offer and so went for Bonne Anse. Would rather not have to drive so far down (I know it's not that far down compared to what some of ye guys do!).

Booked with Siblu as all booked out on booking.com

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Le Clarys Plage, very busy, not ideal for very young kids.

Le Pin Parasol is nice, some good new bits but again, more suited to slightly older kids.

La Garangeoire is ideal for young kids. Bar is in a secure safe court yard where kids can play on soft play stuff and bouncy castles while the (tired) parents can enjoy a quite drink or two. The place feels very safe for young kids. Lagoon and pools decent. Pools are a bit on cool side.

Parks are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MizzBiz

What's the weather like in France in March/April? I'd like to travel with my kids for a month or so. Are campsites open at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

We went at Easter. On first full day we had 12c with sun. I actually had my top off outside our caravan as there was zero wind. Sounds nuts i know. I dont think it got much warmer than 16/17 with cloud but it was fine. This was in Normandy - Camping La Cote de Nacre. We had heat on at night. Actually we went to Trouville and it was 18 sunny there and i got a bit burned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Charliebull

has anyone looked at prices

just got a quote for the same accommodation, same dates, same site as last year and its gone up €800

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Big uptick in prices for 2024...gouging of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The prices are out since end of July. Brittany Ferries worked out almost €300 cheaper for me by booking on day one compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Depends on dates. Prices are the same as this year when I check them. Also, the Olympics are on in Paris at the end of July so that will drive up prices I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Yep Eurocamp up €1000 on same dates from last year (last week in June, 1st week in July) for an Aspect in Les Ormes.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Hi, great information on this thread. We're hoping to go Ile de Re next summer for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know when Irish Ferries start selling tickets for 2024 to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭browne_rob5

They replied to a comment on Facebook over a week ago saying it would be the next couple of weeks so hopefully soon! It was end of September last year so decent bit later this year. I couldn't wait and booked accommodation this week but have Stena in Rosslare to fall back on if Irish Ferries don't suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

End of October. A bit later this year, possibly due to french world cup and large booking traffic.

Advertisement