Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Arab states are incredibly weak on this as well. Lip service is paid and the Palestinian issue is used as a vent for domestic discontent.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Reports now that IDF terrorists are targeting ambulances as they evacuate injured civilians from scenes of Israeli atrocities..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Hopefully the IDF can wipe out as many Hamas fighters as possible while minimizing civilian casualties in the upcoming ground offensive.

I wish them the best of luck - it must be a terrifying prospect for a young Israeli solider and one can only admire their bravery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have absolutely no issue with yourself and your ancestors opinion of Breen and men like him. Iam fully aware that there are descendents of the black and tans and other British forces living in our country. Its telling that you turn my opinion of Britain sending warships into the region into an anti Palestinian rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Don’t forget the brave pilots dropping bombs on civilians and the brave artillery gunners shelling houses from 5 miles away.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭yagan

Just shows how the US is ultimately responsible for the eradication of the Palestinian homeland.

Jews were also Palestinian before the US creation of a religious state. It really is a colonial mindset that establishes, arms and supports a religious state without respect to every other tradition present. Geopolitical Disneyland.

Really? I thought pretty much all of the sane posters want an immediate end to the bombardment of Gaza. As for those who carried out the atrocities last weekend, they need to be brought to justice, the illegal Israeli settlements on Palestinian land need to be removed and rocket attacks need to cease. However there is no sign of any of this happening in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

It’s horrific.

It’s also an impossible situation for Israel and the innocent people in Gaza.

For some here though it’s a war crime to bomb in civilian areas etc but also to warn civilians to leave the built up North. Can’t really have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

A warning that cannot be heeded doesn't absolve blame from the IDF. It has to based in some realism.

I assume Israel wants/needs to get to these tunnels in the North and has therefore asked the civilians under whose areas these exist to leave. Have they realistically any other option in Hamas hide out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, I wouldn't call them ultimately responsible, but they certainly have a major part to play. The thing is America has had a specific interest in the middle east since the latter half of the 20th Century and we all know the resource that they covet over there. So they are eager to maintain a hard man in the area and that hard man is Israel, which they fund and flood with weaponry.

If millions of Palestinians have to suffer under appalling abuses for that status quo to be maintained, the US isn't going to lose any sleep over it.

Surely a realistic option is to go in on foot and not shoot at civilians? I've no problem with the IDF eliminating Hamas.

Hamas have reacted to the evacuation order telling civilians to ignore it and remain where they are, that it is "fake".

As usual, Hamas want to inflict maximum Palestinian deaths for headlines and to leverage political pressure from the rest of the world against Israel.

Bearing that in mind, Israel could act differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nonyabidness23

I find it sickening that people are condoning Israel's revenge strikes as a "Right to defend itself" as soon as you're killing children and innocent civilians on a mass scale your just as a bad as Hamas, it cant be justified and they know well they are doing it.

They dropped an apartment block knowing full well they were more than likely going to kill children.

If i was an Israeli knowing innocent children were dying horrific deaths in order to exact revenge in my name i would'nt feel better or safer for it, seeing 2 and 3 year old s being dragged lifelessly out of rubble is a heartbreaking thing to witness and its never justified, no civilized sane person would condone it either.

Monsters in positions of power in both sides creating a situation that the innocents on both sides are paying for they need to get that head the wall Israeli PM out of power as much as hamas needs removing.

What a mess of a situation real time genocide by the looks of it as Israel will now butcher with the praise of the international community at its back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The EU gave temporary protection to Ukrainian refugees while the Western world poured billions of arms into Ukraine so that the remaining could defend themselves. So the full analogy would include the Western world pouring billions of arms into the Palestinians.

Are you actually calling for that?

So Hamas get to dictate Israeli military response?

Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

This thread is like playing student-politics bingo with a bunch self-hating lefties.

For anyone else trying to keep score, award yourself a point if anyone condemns the Israelis, the US or the Brits.

Additional points are awarded for blaming Hamas butchery on the IDF.

The irony that Israel, America and the UK are liberal democracies where people are safe to spout their nonsense while they wouldn't last 5 minutes in Hamas-controlled Gaza is not lost on many I'm sure.

I didn't say that. What I am saying is that if Israel see that citizens haven't left that area (and why should they? It's their home) that they would adjust their response. Israel have control of the trigger. What they do with it determines the headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You know they've nowhere to go anyway. At least be honest. The calls to evacuate are purely for optics.

• Advertisement

Too risky I presume. How could they return fire to Hamas if in people’s apartments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No. It was covered in the post you responded to. As I pointed out in that post you are responding to, firing in indiscriminate rockets like that are murder. The reason is that the people firing them know that it is virtually certain that they will kill people. You do not have to identify specific targets in order to constitute murder.

Is Israel doing similar you ask? Yes. Unless you have some mad idea in your head that they have special rockets and missiles that know how to blow up people and collapse buildings in such a manner that certain age groups don't get killed.

BTW, technically, intent is not exactly what you appear to be describing, but that is for another forum if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nonyabidness23

No country should come to a conclusion that bombing innocent civilians to kill terrorists as acceptable, especially ones in a position of strength like Israel.

And i would hold a professional army like Israel to a far higher standard than that of a terrorist group.

They have killed 1600 and wounded over 7000, they are no better than Hamas.

They have committed the same crime with the same results only with different beliefs behind why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not so much Hamas dictating Israeli response but Israel recognising that there’s will be high civilian casualties with their approach.

Hamas are terrible wanting to use normal Palestinians for their own goals but it’s not as simple as Palestinians not listening to Hamas and leaving.

Roads have been destroyed through bombing, there is no fuel available for transport out, and many have a fear of permanent displacement if they do leave.

The Palestinians are in a horrific situation on all sides and Israel are in the position to choose how to proceed. But how they have acted so far shows that they have as little regard for Palestinian life as Hamas have for Israelis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭yagan

The UK was a democracy when millions starved in Ireland.

The US was a democracy when the natives were sent to another version of Gaza.

In ancient Greece only Greeks could vote, not their slaves.

Where did he say that? Was it in another post?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Take the apartment out and not the entire building? The IDF are literally demolishing entire apartment blocks via bombs from the air. Hamas already reporting 12 hostages have been killed by IDF bombing (not that what they say should be trusted)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭boetstark

Look fair enough that you recognise other people's opinions.

There are no winners and neither side are without blame in the middle east.

I think what's unfair is putting all the blame on Israel. In fairness after ww2 the UN ratified a 2 state solution. It was Palestinians in cahoots with Arab league that invaded shortly after to grab land , and its been a mess since.

I think Britain and US are making their presence felt to possibly evacuate their citizens or deter any other country getting involved

How many dead Palestinians would satisfy your blood lust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭boetstark

Gosh alot of assumptions being made there my friend

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement