Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking get EV and zappi charger installed - tails upgrade

Options
  • 12-10-2023 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to buy a EV and need to get a zappi home charger, or similar. Have been told that before I get into zappi installation cost, will need to

• Upgrade tails cable between the meter and fuseboard to 16sq SWA 

• Install an Earthrod

• Install bonding to pipes if required

• Test and Certify for the ESB

• Return after the ESB

• Install Wallbox Pulsar Plus

Have been quoted, €3,500 incl. VAT just over internet, no electrician came to house yet.

Is that about right, or excessive? Its kind of encouraging me to go more towards a hybrid tbh.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A plug-in hybrid will still need an EVSE.

Leaving that side, these are important safety improvements to your electrical installation anyway which are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

would it be roughly the right price? It seems pretty steep to me, as the fuse board is about 0.5 metre away from meter, and I think it mainly means replacing the wire that connects the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Get yourself a couple of quotes for it and compare – its impossible to know where you stand with only one quote

It does seem expensive, but this kind of work is not that cheap these days. Getting someone out to look at the actual job may give you a better price - giving a price without seeing it, they are probably considering worst case and pricing it high

Some points to note below

• The electrician will have to run new tails from the board to the meter – even though its close by could still be awkward job
    • The electrician may also have to run a new 10mm sq earth externally to a suitable location for an earth rod and then install the rod
    • The electrician may also have to run 10mm sq earth internally to the hotpress (or elsewhere) for earthing pipes
    • The electrician will have to test and certify the work – cost associated with this certification
    • The ESB will charge to come out and connect in new tails – approx. €200 or so – is the quote provided covering this charge?
    • I had a Zappi charger alone installed recently, it was €1600 before the grant
    • Is this price including your €600 grant you can claim back from SEAI for the charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Let me ask - on what basis was this quote generated if no electrician was onsite? Should I understand that nobody was onsite from the company? Did you provide photos of the meter box and fuse box or was this estimate then pulled from an orifice, or do they know this estate or group of houses? I'm curious as it is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The system is a joke now anyhow

Board upgrades on old wiring and main boards at the meter cabinet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

yep the estimate was based on photos and questions. Did not include the ESB charge, or the charge for installing the charger afterwards. Had another guy out there who would install the charger but said he couldnt do the electrical work. He guessed it would be around a thousand for the prework. Have a person going to come out next week who is a full electrician so hopefully he can price it properly.

thanks for the replies so far, will update when I know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

The price was pretty high anyway, but if it is not including the charger also then its way too high in my opinion

'Full electrician' doesnt really mean anything either. Anyone carrying out any of that work described needs to be a registered contractor and must be able to provide you with a certificate, so make sure you check that too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fair enough. Most of these upgrades will be needed in the end, I'd guess.

Advertisement