Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

That's the only kind of post I see on the Strava DCM 2023 group: buy my number cos I can't run...

Post edited by echancrure on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

Facebook is the exact same. They can't all be injured

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Its not injury. They signed up last year as they were in town and there was a great buzz, but come June and reality bites

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

Email about dates for next year for entering. We’ve not even started taper madness yet

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

It's madness, alright, to allow signing up 363 days in advance and then have the crappiest transfer system...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

In yesterday's email from Dublin Marathon it mentioned about ticking a box for getting finishers photos. Has this worked for anyone? I've logged in, ticked the box but it won't save. The error message is "Validation failed for some of the fields. Please review field values." I've not changed anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Mine saved no issue. Maybe try again on a different device or at a different time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I didn't change anything else either but it had set me as running for a club and wanted me to enter my Athletics Ireland number. I just set it back to "No Club" and then it saved fine.

Basically just review the form and whatever is red you'll need to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It's kind of weird that I had to check that checkbox again despite paying for the photo package already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

• Advertisement

The woman emailed back and they confirmed she was banned. She had to appeal. I left the Facebook group then as all it had was people asking questions that are in the FAQs, people selling entries or absolutely idiotic questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Girl is question has appealed but no word yet. They seem to randomly finger wag on twitter of people tag them in a post advertising a number sale.

They would fillet the entries if they wanted based on the Facebook horse trading.

Was anything said about the fact the the lady who won the half marathon was wearing a big pair of headphones?

(not knocking her btw - she ran a great time)

I'd say the DCM organisers are annoyed that there seems to be so much trading of marathon spots this year. Maybe it's always been like this but I've really noticed it this year, that said I think I was offered about 10 spots for last year's race! But I wonder are the organisers annoyed with themselves that they didn't keep the transfer window open longer to charge the admin fees on entry transfers. It would be in their best interest though to let those with bibs - whether it's there own or not - to take part. Approx 15k out of 25k took part last year - if it's the same again this year it might affect sponsorship etc.

I doubt it, they arent banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

There was a nice article with some quotes in the irish times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/athletics/2023/09/29/aoife-cleary-proves-a-running-breath-of-fresh-air-after-half-marathon-success/

She seems like a lovely person, I really liked this quote, particularly the last line:

That's a lovely article and she seems like a breathe of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

What a cool write up, I think she's my new hero. She seems to be so confident in what works well for her, even if its against the general consensus.

Although she can keep the 50km a week on the treadmill!

I'd say theres some decent air conditioning in that gym, its a higher end gym, well compared to Ben Dunne and DCU.

I wouldnt mind running on a treadmill if I didnt feel I would hyperventilate with the heat.

Shes definitely a high achiever for sure and although she has a great running attitude (which Im jealous of) I highly doubt she didnt know how well she runs and whats achievable.

Nice to donate the 500 euro if you have the money to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Has anyone any experience of parking up around Milltown on race day? The OH is thinking of driving in to there, looking on the map it's easy for her to get to and appears to be parking near the golf club around the park (south of the river) - would that be full on race day?? TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheRef

That's where my family headed last year - just under the arches. The problem was all the roads from the south were closed or diverted and my father in law had to have an argument with a Garda to get though :-) Parking, when they did get through was tight as well.

They also said it was a bit of a rush to get from there back into the finish line, as they needed to get the Luas. By the time they got there, the place was very crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

(Never tried to park there on race day so I don't know the traffic arrangements at that point - just observations from running past.)

That area from the Dropping Well to Milltown viaduct would be one of the busier cheering sections on the race. Race only runs through one arch under the Luas line so the crowd really pushes in narrowing the race route at that point. The atmosphere can be quite intense. It's a good place to see the runners still looking "strong" as it's just before the several mile long drag up to the back of UCD where many won't be as smiley. But it's not an easy place to pick a specific person out as you go past. Which is not ideal if you're worried about missing out on high-fiving your kids who will not see you until you've passed. (may not be an issue for you) Although there'll be plenty of other peoples kids with their hands out!

As an alternative, I've had family members park near the river near enough to Mount Carmel Hospital and stand at Orwell Road/Orwell Park junction in the past which is a little less crowded/noisy. As it's a corner, the sightlines are better and the runner and supporter can get more time to spot each other. OH would also then have a bit more time to be able to move after you pass or just to be able to meet you after you finish. (Along Merrion Road between Nutley and Ballsbridge can be a decent "move-to" viewing spot. Aiming for closer to the finish than that can be too hard to get to in time and too crowded to see anything when you get there.)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Thanks for that - OH usually stands at the Dropping Well (goes for brekkie in there with her friend while waiting for me to pass - tough life!), was looking to park there instead of having to drive down to Sandyford and get the Luas. Looks like that idea is out - will deffo mention Mount Carmel but not sure how she would like not having a relaxing cuppa 😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Then she has more knowledge of the situation there than I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

My family went down to bushy park last year, parked in Rathfarnam shopping centre and walked around, plenty of little cafes in templeogue about a 5 min walk from the race route - not sure if it'll work but just an idea :)

Its at about 28km in so would have a good bit of time getting into the city centre after as well

Tell people watching if they walk past the dropping well up the hill a few hundred yards they will have the pick of the road to watch you on the sweeping bend after Orwell.

I always find it a curse trying to spot the family going through the arches as far as Milltown. The place is a wall of noise and faces, in a great way of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

And you'll be flying downhill at that point. Win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

Must be nearly time to get the weather watchers on board even though it could say snow and ice or Sahara heat now it will change about 10 times for that day before now or then.

Can we even create a table anymore on here?

Hasn't changed much in a few days, just need the wind to feic off, E wind would make from Walkinstown to Terenure rough.

• Advertisement

That would be perfect temperature wise

Advertisement