Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

My cows milk has dropped off big time the last 2 weeks. Milk recording sent out a text that they had to be milking x amount to record. They can forget about calling at this stage, I never know. Requested a milk recording 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back. What happens if you go over the 170 animal nitrogen whatever, just a fine and letter for 1 year? Looks like I’ll hit 180. Be nice if they made statements available earlier in the year, just after looking. These calves no one wants to buy that’s killing me. You’d waste your life rearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Good loser

Was talking to a dairy farmer there recently with 15 acres forestry clear felled last year.

If he replants it could cost €1500 to €2000 per acre. Then maintenance. First income would be thinings in maybe 20 years' time.

Alternatively if he could use it as 'Space for Nature' under the BISS scheme he could draw an annual income from it of €2,000 plus per acre per annum without lifting a finger!! From year 1. I have told him, if they insist on him replanting, especially if they want 20/30/40 % hardwoods, to abandon it to scrub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Thought space for nature was to pay somewhere around 65 to 75 € per ha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How did you only get 2€ ?

I thought you’d only get canner price if they were under the 230 dead weight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

• Advertisement

Bandon on monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

New schem out lately to plant 2 hectares and you'll get 2k per hectare per year for 20 years, maybe it was just a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

I see 10 years on IFJ? I'd view it as a €8,000/ac sale transaction (€800/ac for 10 years then probably can't touch ever again after that). Maybe useful for bad sections of a farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

But what would 800 euro be worth in 15 to 20 years time. And then you have to replant, etc as you have lost control of your land. Forestry is basically worse than selling your land cheap imo. Better off sell the place if that's what you want and reinvest somewhere else to preserve the wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not rule it out for an acre or two. It could be used as a fuel supply into the future. On marginal land it's a definite option.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I think a great idea, its only up to 2 hectares which alot of people would manage. Its about planting trees that will be there for generations, not a commercial forest.

2nd Calver 650kgs could be going to NI as a heifer if she was a tight cow and the udder was well shrunk.

The 780kg cow was probably near enough her factory price killing at 48% at 3.8/kg. She be killing 375 at that. TBH finished cows should be going to the factory unless they are very young

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Ruled out here anyway. I already have alot of hedgerows and dikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭older by the day

What ever the others say I'm delighted that you are on here. And that was a question I was going to ask. I have a few nearly fit old cows. Do you think the factory is better

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Good news and bad news with me and milking this week.

The good news: I called into the bank and it looks like they'll give me enough to get up and running. I also called to see another 2nd-hand parlour and its 2ft6 centres so that should be a decent fit. Only 8 units but it can be extended.

The bad news: the reality of it all is slowing dawning on me! I've a hefty amount of work to do to be ready if it goes ahead.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

What’s the current plan for next spring if you get setup for then? Numbers wise and off farm work?

Park the doubts now and get it done.

Great time to be getting into cows.

Milk will pay well for 2024...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Starting to think about drying /culling and wondering whats that the best strategy.it looks like milking on isn't going to pay well but on the other hand my suspicion is dry cow trade is going to be poor this winter and the longer held might pay.make the assumption that silage is not an issue.its just I wouldn't be up to speed on the beef trade and its outlook

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ah lads, slow down. It’s Feb 2025 I’m aiming for not 2024.

I’ve 20 heifer calves here that I’ll calf down and milk. Plan is to buy 15 calved heifers/cows and milk 35 for that year. I’ll stay on in the day job for 3 days/week. If all goes OK I’ll hit 60-ish in 2026 when 45 acres currently leased out reverts to me. I’ll pack in the off-farm job then if that’s feasible financially. If not, I’ll milk 40 and stick at the off-farm job. OAD might be an option too.

But the jobs I have to get sorted have to be done in my spare time over the next 15-16 months. There’s a mountain of paperwork for the bank loan, a slurry tank to be put in, the parlour itself, new hardcore area for silage bales, 2 new gaps and 100m of new roadway. And plenty others I can’t think of now.

I’m looking forward to getting it all done but doing it will a pain. In fairness it’s a first-world problem when you see what others are going thru here in Ireland and abroad

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Budget for double the slurry storage requirement at present.

The wind is blowing that direction and in a few years lots can change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Could you draw down the extra grant money for slurry by saying you are importing it in 2024 and use that extra money to put a bigger tank in? Probably some t&Cs I hadn't considered in this plan!

IMO if a cow has flesh you are better off going to the factory. All dairy farmers are QA so they angle is covered. Get an agent to have a look at them and get P&O grade prices.

If you can carry them yourself you. An drop.them off in the morning as cows are often slaughtered last you would get away dropping them off at 11am or later. Young tight cows will probably do better at the mart just make sure it's one that has northern buyers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

@Siamsa Sessions another option with the slurry storage is to go back work full time for maybe a 1-2 years and used the higher rate of tax with the accelerated capital allowances for slurry storage to put in the tanks. This would leave the amount you would be paying very small. Back of the fag box calculation.

Say the tank is cost 80k. Vat will be reclaimed. Grant will be at 40% of of €65k leaving a balance of 40k to write off over 2 years. If you were full time off farm work and at the higher rate this would effectively leave the tank being a cost of €10k for years to your farm business. It would make it very cheap them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

At your age I think you are crazy to give up a 3 days a week job to go milking cows twice per day -7 days a week .If you have a young lad interested it would be a different story but no young crowd would even look at a milking cow nowadays .

Stick with your drystock and make improvements in that line is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If you are considering oad then choose your cow to suit. No point rearing big litre holsteins and then deciding you want to go oad or even 10 in 7, xbred better suited to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a lot to be said being able to take days off from the farm and know it's still ticking away.

With the scale Siamsa would be at is probably similar to myself and yourself CG.

You are a lifetime trying to get things in order on the farm and it still requires full time attention and really all your money has to go back into it to stay current and with the regs. The figures from teagasc are bs. It gets tougher every year. And the way the government are going with tillage. You'll have to grow your own if you want straw. It's bs payments for carbon. As it's cultivated back to the atmosphere. Every farmer is being required to be more self sufficient entirely.

But there's more and more pulling from the dairy farmer every year purposely so. It's grass measuring one year on pasture base. It's increased slurry storage the next. It's deluxe calf rearing facilities the next.

When you are in the thick of it you lose all clarity and continue as is.

You'd really want your eyes open to know if it's really what you want.

I know I'm around the 60 cow figure and I don't have a penny. Bills are paid and I'm accumulating new toys that make the physical work easier. But then you see others where they don't have a farm to spend money on and they're driving the latest electric car and you begin to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

I think if you’re working full time at the moment off farm you should ask yourself will 60 cows replace the off farm income. If the answers to this is yes and you can maintain the majority of payments you’re currently receiving you should just go full time at the milking if milking is what you really want to do in 2025. You’d have a nicer lifestyle finished most evenings at 5/6 not going out after work like you currently are part time farming.

Life is far too short to be milking and working off farm and no guarantee the future generation will take it up after you.

If milking 60 cows truly is a viable operation you shouldn’t have to work off farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

60 cow 600 euro average profit 36 k.Plus all the investment But whatever ur happy at lifes too short.I know people working in highly pai jobs and they hate it.Like imagine working for me wouldnt it be someoneds dream

• Advertisement

I be in agreement. He has an old parlour buy a small bucket plant and start doing cull cows. With the prices non dried off cows can be bought for it a very tempting option.

I have never done them CG but would 350DW be a decent average. Would you get 2 twists out in the year comfortably?.

This year ''P'' were 4.8 ish at peak and the floor seems to be 3.8/ kg so an average across the year price of 4.2/4.3.?

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement