Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, i'd be of the same mind - I don't think they're actually being bribed, but it's an obvious conflict of interest. Like, not only are they doing nixers in the UAE, but the league itself is literally called the ADNOC Pro League. Who's a key board member of ADNOC? Unsurprisingly, it's Man City's owner.

So a PL club's owner happens to be both vice president of the UAE and a key figure at the UAE league's main sponsor, a league which happens to pay PL refs to fly out for side hustles. Like, how did that possibly pass any sort of scrutiny to be green lit?! Even if everything is entirely above board, and the thought of jeopardizing those handy paydays doesn't enter their minds when reffing Man City games, it looks absolutely horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Without delving into conspiracy...

Kovacic committed a red card offence and got a yellow for it.

5 minutes later he committed the same offence and didn't get booked at all.

We've seen precedent set for both the first foul being a red (Jones, Gusto), and 2 quick fouls in a row being given 2 yellows (Jota) all in the past 2 weeks.

19 teams get sent off for those challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

There should have been the same level of focus on this as what was on the super league fiasco in my opinion.

Such shady behavior. I hope their communications are secure because if they are hacked it would make for some interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Ya shady is right, it's blatant conflict of interest at very least, not hearing too much on media about kovavic as arsenal won last Sunday but imagine they lost and he scored and assisted in winner. Arsenal got screwed but they at least won whereas we got screwed and lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well he is coming from South Yorkshire Police the less said about them the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, but it's sorted now, only Liverpool got clearly shafted by these junkets.

The 30 games left in the season they can pretend they aren't influenced by freebies from the UAE.

But as pointed out that doesn't explain the Kovacic lack of red.

You could definitely propose a clear and debatable conspiracy theory about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Not negatively impact the match is bullshyte of the highest order. Jones shouldn't have been sent off if you are going on that criteria.

Its a meaningless phrase, management speak only dragged out when they didn't send somebody off.

Jones and Jota getting sent off had a huge negative impact on what was a high quality game up to that. 1 sending off was bad enough, it was still a good game, but 2 made it a joke. It was hugely detrimental to a great game. Probably would have turned out the game of the season so far with two attack minded teams, but we'll never know, because the sending offs negatively affected the game.😉

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I hate Webb intensely. He's not been brought back to sort out PGMOL but to put an eloquent, smooth spin on everything they do as a body. He's an acceptable face for Sky Sports and he's not going to be thrown to the lions by Owen, another acceptable face for same.

Also, the guy who let the De Jong tackle go in a WC final is certainly not going to call the Kovacic tackle a red. I hate spin in all aspects of life but employing someone to explain away a tackle like that on Sunday as a non-red is another reason to switch off analysis of games these days.

If someone gets a nasty injury it also negatively impacts the game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

I've said it before but I fully expect to be sitting around in 20-30 years time watching documentaries about how the English officials have been on the take for years now. It literally explains everything. What we see week in week out is beyond incompetence.

Even if it's not outright bribery whoever is providing those "handy gigs" knows exactly what they are doing. I'm sorry but incompetence just does not fully explain everything, I wish it did but it just doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ah, I dunno. The City lads don't get involved with the game in the Emirate really. They would have nothing to to with paying or entertaining the referees in UAE Sure didn't the City lads let their then manager Mancini go to UAE to coach one of the local teams when he was in charge there, and the City club had nothing to do with that, or how he was paid or anything, it was all done locally. There was nothing untoward involved in that, nothing corrupt anyway that anyone could see..........

Nothing it see here, move along 🙄

Now that's sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

As I read somewhere else, imagine the reaction if John Henry flew refs over as guests to Fenway Park for a game. Just imagine the outrage.

I keep going back to this point that's been memory holed - "Check complete. Check complete. Off."

Off.

Darren England's last word to Cooper was "off". This is the smoking gun. It proves England didn't think he was calling an onside, he told Cooper the decision was offside. There was no lapse in concentration. There was no confusion. England knew exactly what he was doing.

Coincidentally, that one crucial word is missing from the subtitles PGMOL provided in their video, but you can hear it in the video, and it's as clear as day that it was England who said it. It's the same voice, with the same background noise. It doesn't take audio analysis for what you can hear with your own naked ear.

Off.

Even South Yorkshire Polices finest ignored that one word in his cosy little chat with Owen, but he did make a point of repeating eveything else that England had said, right up to that one crucial word.

It stinks, and it'll never stop stinking.

Anyway I'm off to bed. If you've made it this far, can some of ye add the word "MacAllister" to your auto-corrects 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

The lower tier of the stand remaining open and the upper tier remaining closed until the end of the calendar year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

It's possible that word "off" relates to switching off the link from the VAR team to the Ref as that's the point their connection to him ends. If it is it's not the best choice of words should be "over and out" or something like that but these guys clearly didn't put much thought into their communication protocol

"Ten-Four Good Buddy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭abff

The issue with potential bribing of referees is that it doesn’t even have to be done by someone associated with the club they want the officials to favour. It could be related to betting, in which case there would probably be no direct connection to either team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Robbo off injured for Scotland. Holding his arm in a sling after a collision with the keeper.

Spanish keeper clattered him and then landed on top of him. That’s where he seemed to pick up the injury. Might be a dislocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Exactly, the offer of extra employment is enough.

You get overtime, the other guy doesn't. A bit of gentle banter around Newcastle and the seed is planted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Am I the only one who thinks there's nothing sinister going on with the refs....to me it just seems like an absolute cluster fcuk by lads who aren't good enough at their jobs. The higher up lads are trying to protect them but the whole system in place is so poor it's seems that the said cluster fcuk is so bad that people are thinking something is up.

The ref blew the whistle in a match last year and the game finished....then var went back after the final whistle. There was no real backlash then cos the correct decision was made. If the clowns in var had done the same this time round there wouldn't be half the sh1t going on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If it’s a dislocated shoulder for Robbo it’s probably after Christmas until he’s back. Just have to hope it’s not as bad as it looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I don't think the refs are out to cheat but i do think they are driven by ego, in the complete sense of the word, and this has them working like a men's club in the 1980s.

That ego means they don't make rational clear decisions, like reffing in Saudi and that Saudi are more than likely going to try all sorts of soft power to influence them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Ya if that's the case it's not great, I was just saying during the week that Robbo has not been at it this season, but unfortunately the only player in worse form that him is the Greek! This could force Klopps hand to go with 3 centre backs and have TAA fully in the inverted role, a bit like the way Arsenal and City set up.

• Advertisement

Last minute equaliser for Darwin against Diaz' Colombia today. No harm for Darwin's confidence - though saw Diaz missed a bit of a one-on-one sitter himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've said it before. The combination of arrogance and stupidity is a lethal combination.

Seems to be rampant amongst Webb's clan.

Sure but the reason given and the reason I've heard numerous refs since give is that there is a rule that once Spur's take the free there is nothing VAR can do. 2 comments on that, firstly we know without a shadow of a doubt that that is absolute nonsense as there are plenty of examples where this has happened before and secondly what about the God damn rules that if you are further away from the opposition goal than 2 of the opposing players when your team mate passes you the ball you are onside and if you kick the ball between the posts and under the crossbar you get a goal credited to your team???

Both those fundamental rules of the game were broken in serving that other stupid made up/non existent rule about Spurs taking the free. I used to believe the refs were just incompetent too but I'm waaaaay passed that now. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a bent **** ref!!!

I just hope in a few decades time, or whenever they're released, when some of ye are watching the docs about the refs in England being bent for years and years during this era ye think of me. 😉

Like that clip a few pages back where Merson is losing it with Dermot Gallagher I think it was where Gallagher is dismissively saying that Merson doesn't know the rules blah blah, well someone should explain the offside rule to Dermot Gallagher and what a goal is while their at it...the arrogant smug prick!!

How you can be more worried about enforcing a tiny little rule that hardly anyone even knows exists than giving a bloody goal (essentially the first rule that was ever made about football) is beyond me....well it's not beyond me actually, those refs are wealthier as a result no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Joyce saying our game v City is the 12.30 slot after the international break in mid November. 3rd time this season. 14th time since Klopp took over. Spurs next on 6. They really do hate us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Surely that's going to effect City as well, though?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's the South American travel really that is difficult as they play Wednesday morning there and then have to play have to play Saturday morning again.

Man City have 2 South Americans, Liverpool have 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's not that our opponent would have an advantage over us, it's that these games tend to be full of exhausted players more likely to get injured.

So many of our key players coming in from such a completely different time zone really is a hindrance though. We saw it in the last one of these, with Diaz and Nunez not able to start, and Mac Allister starting but looking absolutely mentally wrecked and getting hooked after having a mare.

Coming from that direction back to Europe is just really tough (i do it a lot), your body and brain just haven't got a clue what's going on for a few days.

Actually just checked their various fixtures, and we've gotten a bit lucky on this one - all their last games are in the most favorable South American time zone for Europe. Still not great, but better than it could've been if they'd had fixtures further west like last time.

So it's the good-bad, and not the bad-bad?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I saw 8 mins 30 secs of highlights. Plenty went awry for Diaz and Nunez wasn’t in it a whole lot, but he took a great peno in injury time after a long wait. Keeper went the right way but Darwin hit the top corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Henderson getting a rough time off the England fans ....such a spectacular fall from grace, although I'm sure a few laps in his pool of gold coins will help ease the pain 🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/13/it-defies-logic-southgate-defends-henderson-after-wembley-boos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The biggest game of the weekend should not be 12:30 on a Saturday. I want to enjoy it, it should be 5:30 Saturday or 4:30 Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They're pinning it on the safety of supporters. Go for 2pm Sunday if that's the case, but I don't see how this game is any more dangerous than any other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Now that I've recovered from the disappointment of last night, Tsimikas had a pretty good game. Pretty gutting if Robbo is out for a while, but it is one area where the drop off isn't too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

You reckon? I think the gap between Robbo and Tsimikas is absolutely enormous. Robbo's form has been up and down in the last 12 months, sure, but he's way ahead of Tsimikas. Big blow if he's out for a prolonged period.

You really appreciate Robbo when Tsimikas plays a run of games

I would suspect that Robbo will target the Man City game in 6 weeks time to return, without knowing the severity.

Personally, I'm fine with Tsimikas playing the league games until then as the fixtures are more favourable than the last few weeks, no disrespect intended but Brighton Spurs games etc are tougher than Forest & Everton.

The issue I have is that Tsimikas can't play every game so who plays LB now in the cup and Europa league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Really?

Yeah, I rate Tsimikas, I think he's a very decent deputy. Hopefully I'm not proven wrong in the next few weeks 😬

I see the Qataris have pulled out of the utd deal.

Hopefully they stay away from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'll just enjoy the tears of Man United sadness for now.

Most of their genuine fans didn't want that crowd near them either tbf, mostly the glory hunters.

• Advertisement

Jordan Ibe joined Ebbsfleet United in the National League. He has had mental health problems the last few years.

Advertisement