Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

What’s the current plan for next spring if you get setup for then? Numbers wise and off farm work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Park the doubts now and get it done.

Great time to be getting into cows.

Milk will pay well for 2024...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Starting to think about drying /culling and wondering whats that the best strategy.it looks like milking on isn't going to pay well but on the other hand my suspicion is dry cow trade is going to be poor this winter and the longer held might pay.make the assumption that silage is not an issue.its just I wouldn't be up to speed on the beef trade and its outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ah lads, slow down. It’s Feb 2025 I’m aiming for not 2024.

I’ve 20 heifer calves here that I’ll calf down and milk. Plan is to buy 15 calved heifers/cows and milk 35 for that year. I’ll stay on in the day job for 3 days/week. If all goes OK I’ll hit 60-ish in 2026 when 45 acres currently leased out reverts to me. I’ll pack in the off-farm job then if that’s feasible financially. If not, I’ll milk 40 and stick at the off-farm job. OAD might be an option too.

But the jobs I have to get sorted have to be done in my spare time over the next 15-16 months. There’s a mountain of paperwork for the bank loan, a slurry tank to be put in, the parlour itself, new hardcore area for silage bales, 2 new gaps and 100m of new roadway. And plenty others I can’t think of now.

I’m looking forward to getting it all done but doing it will a pain. In fairness it’s a first-world problem when you see what others are going thru here in Ireland and abroad

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Budget for double the slurry storage requirement at present.

The wind is blowing that direction and in a few years lots can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Could you draw down the extra grant money for slurry by saying you are importing it in 2024 and use that extra money to put a bigger tank in? Probably some t&Cs I hadn't considered in this plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

IMO if a cow has flesh you are better off going to the factory. All dairy farmers are QA so they angle is covered. Get an agent to have a look at them and get P&O grade prices.

If you can carry them yourself you. An drop.them off in the morning as cows are often slaughtered last you would get away dropping them off at 11am or later. Young tight cows will probably do better at the mart just make sure it's one that has northern buyers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

@Siamsa Sessions another option with the slurry storage is to go back work full time for maybe a 1-2 years and used the higher rate of tax with the accelerated capital allowances for slurry storage to put in the tanks. This would leave the amount you would be paying very small. Back of the fag box calculation.

Say the tank is cost 80k. Vat will be reclaimed. Grant will be at 40% of of €65k leaving a balance of 40k to write off over 2 years. If you were full time off farm work and at the higher rate this would effectively leave the tank being a cost of €10k for years to your farm business. It would make it very cheap them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

At your age I think you are crazy to give up a 3 days a week job to go milking cows twice per day -7 days a week .If you have a young lad interested it would be a different story but no young crowd would even look at a milking cow nowadays .

Stick with your drystock and make improvements in that line is my advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If you are considering oad then choose your cow to suit. No point rearing big litre holsteins and then deciding you want to go oad or even 10 in 7, xbred better suited to that.

There's a lot to be said being able to take days off from the farm and know it's still ticking away.

With the scale Siamsa would be at is probably similar to myself and yourself CG.

You are a lifetime trying to get things in order on the farm and it still requires full time attention and really all your money has to go back into it to stay current and with the regs. The figures from teagasc are bs. It gets tougher every year. And the way the government are going with tillage. You'll have to grow your own if you want straw. It's bs payments for carbon. As it's cultivated back to the atmosphere. Every farmer is being required to be more self sufficient entirely.

But there's more and more pulling from the dairy farmer every year purposely so. It's grass measuring one year on pasture base. It's increased slurry storage the next. It's deluxe calf rearing facilities the next.

When you are in the thick of it you lose all clarity and continue as is.

You'd really want your eyes open to know if it's really what you want.

I know I'm around the 60 cow figure and I don't have a penny. Bills are paid and I'm accumulating new toys that make the physical work easier. But then you see others where they don't have a farm to spend money on and they're driving the latest electric car and you begin to wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

I think if you’re working full time at the moment off farm you should ask yourself will 60 cows replace the off farm income. If the answers to this is yes and you can maintain the majority of payments you’re currently receiving you should just go full time at the milking if milking is what you really want to do in 2025. You’d have a nicer lifestyle finished most evenings at 5/6 not going out after work like you currently are part time farming.

Life is far too short to be milking and working off farm and no guarantee the future generation will take it up after you.

If milking 60 cows truly is a viable operation you shouldn’t have to work off farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

60 cow 600 euro average profit 36 k.Plus all the investment But whatever ur happy at lifes too short.I know people working in highly pai jobs and they hate it.Like imagine working for me wouldnt it be someoneds dream

I be in agreement. He has an old parlour buy a small bucket plant and start doing cull cows. With the prices non dried off cows can be bought for it a very tempting option.

I have never done them CG but would 350DW be a decent average. Would you get 2 twists out in the year comfortably?.

This year ''P'' were 4.8 ish at peak and the floor seems to be 3.8/ kg so an average across the year price of 4.2/4.3.?

Slava Ukrainii

Bord bia won't accept a bucket plant nor will the processor.

And cull cows you'd have to allow 60% are culled with high cell count.

Not sure if the post was tongue in cheek..

It not for milk it's for to dry off cull cows they are coming through the mart not dried off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Is there a Mrs Siamsa? And if so what does she make of the plan?……

He wouldn't want a parlour for that. Only hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

cull cows are not for the faint hearted ,cull cow men paid big money for cows earlier in the year expecting 5 euro/kg in June when in fact cows only peaked at 4.40 .You might see grand cows selling for handy money around the ring but dare you bid ,they will leave you buy plenty of canners but there is someone on every good cow and they take their turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Theres a solution to that, buy direct off a dairy farmer! I love the way we have decided SS is becoming a cull cow trader now rather than a Dairy farmer. I think he has an itch to try dairying and he may as well give it a go, at least he won't die wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

The cowsi c in mart are usually weather beaten and would not be hard dried off.Seen alot of cows last year in an awful state

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

She’s fed up of me talking about it and wants me to just get on with it now. She has a big interest in food and cooking and wants to make soft cheeses from our own milk.

But she’s probably a bit like me and doesn’t know what the reality of it will be like. I need to build the slurry storage anyway so really the only outlay that I have to make the cows pay for is €30k-ish for the parlour. I’ll be committing to it for 4-5 years but I’m not looking beyond that at the moment.

If herself sticks me for that long, then I’ll know she’s a keeper! Notwithstanding the 15 years she’s already put up with me for 😂

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

I would not stop him going milking. But I'm a safe type of guy and if it was me I would be finding a second hand parlor. Not just machine all the iron work, feeders ect. Bring the builder with you and put the pit in and drop the parlor around it. Build it on to an existing tank .

You should be milking for 30000.

There is no way I would be spending 200k to be milk cows.

You don't need a lot of comfort or all mod cons to milk 60 cows. Once you pass the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Naillers

Thanks for this post Mr Stonewall...I also need to invest in farm infrastructure and think posts like yours give options and food for thought...there are a few other posters here that know their stuff and willingly share on boards....all much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya I agree 👍. I Don't think he will regret it. On another note lots to do alright but......how do you eat an elephant 🐘 😉 . On the parlour side of things put in a minimum 10 unit's second hand and straight forward leave room for a couple more unit's if possible but if your going working as well you deffo want to be done milking in MAX 6 lines never cow more. Jobs in the evening for the morning such as changing fences etc can be a family event even if kids aren't really interested they still will enjoy being out and about . That's my 2 cent anyway

This accelerated cap ex is only for slurry storage so would be for the tank, slats and associated concrete around the tank. Carefully and clever planning could leave it in a way that the shed could be put easily over it. For example setting shortened stanchions or having pads set under some insulation and capped off with 3 inches of concrete which could be kangoed out easily at a later date.

This accelerated cap ex is only for slurry storage so would be for the tank, slats and associated concrete around the tank. Carefully and clever planning could leave it in a way that the shed could be put easily over it. For example setting shortened stanchions or having pads set under some insulation and capped off with 3 inches of concrete which could be kangoed out easily at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Naillers

A quick google and the accelerated Capex runs to the end of 2025....there is also the budget announcement of 70% grant for a tank if importing slurry...but the devil could be in the detail here re the amount that has to be imported and the number of years you have to import...could limit your SR and your ability to pay for it all...and thanks for the option there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Advertisement