Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bord bia won't accept a bucket plant nor will the processor.

And cull cows you'd have to allow 60% are culled with high cell count.

Not sure if the post was tongue in cheek..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It not for milk it's for to dry off cull cows they are coming through the mart not dried off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭cjpm

Is there a Mrs Siamsa? And if so what does she make of the plan?……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He wouldn't want a parlour for that. Only hay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

cull cows are not for the faint hearted ,cull cow men paid big money for cows earlier in the year expecting 5 euro/kg in June when in fact cows only peaked at 4.40 .You might see grand cows selling for handy money around the ring but dare you bid ,they will leave you buy plenty of canners but there is someone on every good cow and they take their turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Theres a solution to that, buy direct off a dairy farmer! I love the way we have decided SS is becoming a cull cow trader now rather than a Dairy farmer. I think he has an itch to try dairying and he may as well give it a go, at least he won't die wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

The cowsi c in mart are usually weather beaten and would not be hard dried off.Seen alot of cows last year in an awful state

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

She’s fed up of me talking about it and wants me to just get on with it now. She has a big interest in food and cooking and wants to make soft cheeses from our own milk.

But she’s probably a bit like me and doesn’t know what the reality of it will be like. I need to build the slurry storage anyway so really the only outlay that I have to make the cows pay for is €30k-ish for the parlour. I’ll be committing to it for 4-5 years but I’m not looking beyond that at the moment.

If herself sticks me for that long, then I’ll know she’s a keeper! Notwithstanding the 15 years she’s already put up with me for 😂

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭older by the day

I would not stop him going milking. But I'm a safe type of guy and if it was me I would be finding a second hand parlor. Not just machine all the iron work, feeders ect. Bring the builder with you and put the pit in and drop the parlor around it. Build it on to an existing tank .

You should be milking for 30000.

There is no way I would be spending 200k to be milk cows.

You don't need a lot of comfort or all mod cons to milk 60 cows. Once you pass the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Naillers

Thanks for this post Mr Stonewall...I also need to invest in farm infrastructure and think posts like yours give options and food for thought...there are a few other posters here that know their stuff and willingly share on boards....all much appreciated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya I agree 👍. I Don't think he will regret it. On another note lots to do alright but......how do you eat an elephant 🐘 😉 . On the parlour side of things put in a minimum 10 unit's second hand and straight forward leave room for a couple more unit's if possible but if your going working as well you deffo want to be done milking in MAX 6 lines never cow more. Jobs in the evening for the morning such as changing fences etc can be a family event even if kids aren't really interested they still will enjoy being out and about . That's my 2 cent anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

This accelerated cap ex is only for slurry storage so would be for the tank, slats and associated concrete around the tank. Carefully and clever planning could leave it in a way that the shed could be put easily over it. For example setting shortened stanchions or having pads set under some insulation and capped off with 3 inches of concrete which could be kangoed out easily at a later date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

This accelerated cap ex is only for slurry storage so would be for the tank, slats and associated concrete around the tank. Carefully and clever planning could leave it in a way that the shed could be put easily over it. For example setting shortened stanchions or having pads set under some insulation and capped off with 3 inches of concrete which could be kangoed out easily at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Naillers

A quick google and the accelerated Capex runs to the end of 2025....there is also the budget announcement of 70% grant for a tank if importing slurry...but the devil could be in the detail here re the amount that has to be imported and the number of years you have to import...could limit your SR and your ability to pay for it all...and thanks for the option there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

One if my grandmother's used that expression only ever heard it off cork people outside of that .....brings back fond memories. 👌......and its a good fit in the context of your post also😉

Beef game in general is not for the faint hearted. I never did cows but there is a serious margin on a lot of cows going through the mart at present. The money is too tight in the sub three month game. But if you can carry the risk and a grass based system there is a decent margin in it. Lads with beef in general in the 3 month game got caught by there greed in the early part of last summer. Lads were expecting a base of 5.5-6/kg.

The dealers cannot handle the online buyer. It's a patience game. You just need a labtop rather than a phone especially at cows. He has only to shove the market by 20-30/ cow and they have to let him buy some after a while.

You might make a few mistakes but as Albert Johnson said it's seldom that an online buyer comes and says cattle are worse than he expected. Mostly they say the opposite.

You just push the market by 6-10%. If I was around the ring they can mess too much with me.

The investment needed for beef is about 30-50% of that need for dairying. Beef gives the option of carrying on with your PAYE job. Admittedly beef is a hard nosed game it just a lot of lads can not see the numbers.

Cows coming straight from the parlour on a good diet will need to be milked 5 times at least to dry them off properly otherwise you are looking at mastitis. I know one cull cow man that has put an old parlour back into action to dry off cows. Ya you have to reduce the diet but you need to milk them out a few time to dry out them out right especially if they are going on slats for the winter. It's a lot easier to do that now than be cutting/budizeering tits off in 6-8 weeks time.

While Gortnalea has most of the cows on a Thursday now there was 16-18 cows there still Friday morning. 10 were friesians under 5 years of age and they nearly all sold for under a euro a kg, another 3-4 were under 10 years of age priced similarly.

I have all my stores nearby bought for this year. If I had not I be buying some of those younger cows. There is a gross margin of 800+/head between now and next June.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Imagine you had a decent parlour and bought in 100 cows for 500 euros, milked them on until March and kill as their ready, know a guy that bought 200 of em last year and cleared 400 each for the factory. A good 20 to 30% were incalf which he still has. Thinking outside the box

There is more and more opportunities arising out of by-products of the dairy industry.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There was crazy money for culls tho last spring which in all likelihood won’t be there this spring ….I milked thru last winter and offloaded culls out of parlour ….made up to 1750 ….undecided what I’ll do this winter as calving spread tightened up again ….will most likely milk oad from late November to start of calving around 12 janurary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,970 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

And watch your cell counts hit the roof.

Many of those cows will be being culled for good reason.

There are a lot of benefits to running a closed herd

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A fella near us has been doing that for years but used to send alot of them in calf to uk for autumn calving he stopped doing it last year and sold his parlour but funnily enough I believe he has put a parlour back in and is milking again this autumn and buying not in calfs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What's the story now with importing stock from the uk? Have the rules changed. Your man David Clarke used to import alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

Know a fella locally milking 300 all year round on average buying slips and milking them on has 3 farms rented to run that system either culled or sold on again. It must be paying he’s no fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I have a mate that does this. Has 50 cows of his own and milks up to 300 culls at peak

has dry culls then aswell

he says the milking pays for the fattening of them and the profit is in the kill price

These lads are milking the cows to cover the winter feeding costs and then cull the cows. This year a lot of ''guaranteed not in calf'' cows appearing.

Probably milking OAD. The profit is in the cull. It's being able to manage the system as much as anything.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I wouldn't be banking on buying cull cows as a business model going forward though, this year is an exception given the nitrates/banding and an excess of heifers in the country. Dairy AI usage fell dramatically this year so in a few years heifers will be scarce and more cows will be milked through or brought around again to maintain numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭older by the day

Thankfully passed the TB herd test last week. But around here tb is getting bad. Herds that has been clear for years.

You might make money out it but I'd rather jump in the river before I would buy other fellows scrap/diseases.

They killing themselves in heat every day. Mastitis and lameness

FFS try and give some good advice to the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Advertisement