Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

It's a question of quality and value for money.

Most gastropubs provide neither for their burger offering.

I'd rather pay 13 euros at Bunsen or 10 euros at Wayback for a burger / fries, and choose something else on a gastropub menu that actually demonstrates some kind of cooking skill / flavour profile, value for money, quality etc.

For me, the quality of the burger meat, and the way it is cooked is vital to the quality of the experience, what cooking skill/flavour profile do you look for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I know a restaurant and they say their burgers are all made fresh supplied from the butcher down the street. I've no reason not to believe them.

Quality is 100%. Not sure why you are moaning about value.

It's easy to see how a limited product burger only joint will be at a lower price point than a multi product restaurant for the same product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You're the guy who went off on a tangent when you said out of the blue "I'll bet you really hoped the place was suffering and the clientele had abandoned it. No such luck buddy. Try again." I thought that was a weird comment.

You claimed your buddy was having a joke and only idiots thought he was serious. The actual video proves other wise, he's obviously gloating about the whole situation. We know you have no problem drinking there Dav and you're a big fan of the place and the owner.

What I didn't know was the serious criminal record he has, recently convicted in both the District and Circuit courts for spitting into a pensioners face and recently convicted in court for robbing an iPhone throws an even darker cloud over him than the video.

He's not the kind of person I'd be supporting even if he had the only pub in Ireland, but everyone is different and if you're happy to support someone like that and sing their praises on a public forum off with ya lad.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheOriginalMattman

Worked in hospitality for 25+ years and can't disagree with you.

For decades I listened to employers crying over this cost and that levy - all while paying hard working staff pennies, keeping their tips and short changing them on other entitlements. Then they'll post massive post tax profits (the ones registered for tax will anyway) and hope you don't have the gumption to look it up.

I worked for one very well known restaurant in Navan and they use every scheme (legal and illegal) they can. I remember asking for a raise having been there 3 years and never getting one.

While the female partner (husband and wife) turned on the waterworks that they couldn't afford it and making me feel greedy for asking, she then hopped in the Range Rover and spent the day in Brown Thomas. No exaggeration or hyperbole, that's exactly what happened.

There are genuine hard working grafters who will struggle in the business but their morals keep them earning an honest living. But the ones on the news or their local circles saying how tough it is, it's not. They're more than fine.

And if you ever want to see pure abandonment while still playing the poor mouth, head to a Restaurants Association of Ireland awards night. Enough designer clothes to make a Kardashian blush and cocaine to sink a small trawler.

Don’t be a silly billy, who was it that posted a link to the owner of the Silver Key, as if it was indicative of the pub sector as a whole?

Jeez, at least own what you post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭brokenbad

"Enough designer clothes to make a Kardashian blush and cocaine to sink a small trawler."

Brilliant 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Here, now. Let's not rewrite history. It was you who said "as if this guy is indicative of the sector in general".

Someone brought up the owner because he was crowing in the media about how great it was during Covid, that he wanted it to to continue and was forced to apologise.......literally all over the Times. They never mentioned how it was indicative of anything, just as an example. Then you jumped in with two feet defending the owner, because you know him, saying he runs a fine place and he was obviously joking when he said that he wanted 10 more years.

Turns out, the owner is a scumbag, he wasn't joking around, has done much worse things recently and your defense of him blew up in your face. Then you accused the other poster of going off on a tangent by bringing it up. Even still, nobody said it was indicative of anything.

You can't claim that as a victory somehow and start berating others for making you look foolish. The fact that he's a scumbag and you have so far refused to acknowledge that fact, and have have no qualms about drinking there speaks volumes. Someone would be forgiven for thinking you were related to him.

• No, in order to avail of tasting menu everyone must order from it (or else we’d be out of business already)!

you’ll definitely have couples order it a lot to share with each other and it’s a great way to experience a lot of the menu 😎

if two people go with it you’re talking €120 total (before drinks) for 4 starters, two mains & two desserts, gratin potato as a side & fresh baked bread when you arrive!

the bread every table gets but the gratin is complementary on the tasting menu.

• No, Wexford, I don’t want to say where on thread because it comes across as advertising but I can ask one of the mods if they are okay with it 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

So you're the person that drinks Carlsberg! :)

Never understand why you see it in so many pubs, yet nobody ever orders it.

Those prices look fine to me. Pints cheap by Dublin standards.

Hope you enjoyed the Birthday Meal.

• I don’t think Tullamore could get away with charging Dublin prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Dav has shown his true colours by trying to not only defend but champion that utter scumbag and it matters not a jot now if he tries to squirm his way out of it because he can't.

The internet never forgets Dav, it's there forever.

Unlike your much loved Silver Key the moral high ground is a place you will never frequent or even visit.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your buddy was refused a licence renewal due to his recent convictions, in fact I'd go so far as to say I'd be surprised if he was granted one due to his recent convictions for assaulting a pensioner, theft and breaching of Covid regulations.

There's a very old saying you may or may not be aware of "A man is known by the company he keeps".

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭howiya

This plus what you described last night about the food sounds like an enjoyable night out and I'd hazard a guess that customers don't feel ripped off. Have enjoyed similar experiences in other restaurants. (Not in wexford but must keep an eye out for it).

In contrast however a couple could drop a couple of hundred quid on a three course meal and drinks somewhere and it's just meh.

The price when it is an average experience is important as the value isn't there. A great dining experience, good service etc and you will feel like it was worth the price on the bill.

I think a lot of establishments are probably stuck in between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, haven't read this thread as it wouldn't normally affect me, I'm unsocial so don't go out at all anymore really. I hadn't drank for nearly 7 years prior to April of this year. I only drank in April to test myself for a stag do last weekend, to make sure I wasn't a disgrace after all that time off it. I wouldn't be able to put up with drunk people unless I was drunk too. That was my reasoning. Anyway, I was grand in April, and I somehow managed the stag last weekend.

Again, due to not drinking anymore, I decided to hold off until 8/9pm just as everyone else was getting to the drunk annoying part of their night. The hotel charged me €3.50 for a 200ml bottle of Diet Coke. So I started at 8pm. We were in Galway. €7.20 a pint (Asahi) and I think it was €6.50 for the regular pish. That sucked every ounce on enjoyment out of it. I only had about 10 drinks over 4 hours and it cost me more than a weekend out used to 10+ years ago. I went home at midnight, mostly because everyone else was at that far too drunk phase, 2 others also wanted to leave, and I felt robbed enough at that point.

My whole entire point being, at those prices, it's just not enjoyable. It's me getting older too (40 now) and not drinking in general (I'll be off it again after the wedding this month, and I will be declining future stag invitations on those grounds, although I expect none anyway, hopefully!). But there's no enjoyment to spending that much in your own country. I wanted to bring the stag to Amsterdam for a weekend, but it was declined as there were to be 30 of us, too hard to organise. By the time people actually confirmed, it was down to 12 so would have been more managable, and it would have been cheaper than 1 night in Galway. Between everything, I'm down over €300, and I was getting the flights and accomodation in the Dam for €180 pp.

Eating out in a few places recently, €18.50 main beef dishes, chicken dishes for €15+! Not worth it. I understand overheads have gone up, but this is pushing most people away. I don't know the answer to it, but it can't keep going this way. But the local shops are at it too. Tesco charge more for the 750ml Ballygowen Touch of Fruit than the 1.5L bottle of same. Centra in Limerick city are charging €2.80 for the 750ml. I can get 2x1.5L in the local village Spar for €3 or €1.80 each. A printing shop wanted me to pay €6.50 to print out a single car Insurance cert page! I managed to find another place for the bargain of €4 (€2 for the print, €2 for the usage of the pc...).

People call me unsocial or a boring bollox for not going out anymore. I think I'm more sensible than them. Granted, I don't need alcohol to enjoy myself anymore, but I did replace it with weed. If it's every legalised and catered for, I may become social again. Not my fault I get all my enjoyment and far better value for money by staying at home. Saying all that, while it wasn't mad busy and packed like weekend nights used to be (the only saving grace in the night really, well, that and the wings I had... wow), it was still fairly busy and constant, and at those prices there must definitely still be massive profits for those at the top.

----------

TL;DR: Drinking and eating out is gone too expensive to be enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

One of the best posts on here in a long time. Love the finale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Works out at 6.60 a pint. What, max 40 cents more expensive than Dublin.... this is in the heart of f*&^ing TOKYO. Right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thats not gaugging though, just tax.

The Japanese get a lot of benefits from tax on the "old reliables" like we do. As do the Swedes and other places that tax the **** out of booze and cigs. When cigs were a thing.

950 Yen is just over 6 Euro. Still far cheaper for a pint of Heineken than the vast majority of pubs in Dublin. Dublin, a city that's a fraction the size of Tokyo City. And I'd almost guarantee you that their home grown beers, like Asahi or Kirin, would be cheaper still.

Oh they are. (But not as much as you'd think). But I just wanted to compare like with like

• ah to be fair comparing Tokyo to Dublin is apples to oranges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

E8 for a bottle of koppaberg in the summit Inn Howth the other day ... lol !

I paid a tenner for a pint of lager in Paris last weekend. A friend of mine paid €14 in an Irish bar there. But somebody else can come along and tell us they paid €1 for a beer in Thailand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The biggest pisstake is the fact non alcoholic beer costs basically the same as a usual beer. Surely it should be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

It's just not going to work out.

Prices have increased dramatically on some raw goods, there's an increasing staff shortage across all industry (despite ever more and more people, go figure), all rents are nigh on ridiculous and so on.

Of course there's ones gouging too, it's rife.

So less and less people are going to, or can, partake with these costs, that'll lead to less revenue, leads to increased reliance on current pricing, leading to less customers and so on, it all goes circling down the drain.

And what's coming down the road? What's the panacea, or solution or policy or anything at all that people/business/governance are banking on?

Nothing, that's what.

This isn't going to work out.

A word to the wise. When your in Paris, drink wine. Failing that, get out of the avenues.

Not a bag fan of wine at midnight after the rugby being honest.

Plus I didn't mind paying it!

• Advertisement

Well if you don't mind paying it, then it doesn't matter.

But there are places in Paris you can find that will do beers for cheaper. The trouble is finding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It was Corcoran's wasn't it 😂 robbing bastards. I was probably sitting beside you.

That's what I was getting at. It was only slightly more expensive than the cheapest places in Dublin outskirts. Was actually cheaper than in town. Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭blackvalley

If you actually had a clue about what you are talking about you would know that to remove alcohol from beer costs more than to leave it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭blackvalley

If you actually had a clue about what you’re talking about you’d know that it costs more to remove alcohol from beer than it costs to leave it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I avoid Irish bars abroad, they are the biggest rip offs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Theres a special place in hell for people who go on holidays and go to Irish bars.

That might be the case, but sometimes they're the best craic to be honest. The best bar in Hamburg is, easily, an Irish bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Beer is actually relatively expensive in Thailand. Domestic beer is dirt cheap in Vietnam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭howiya

Since you know what you're talking about, perhaps you can enlighten us. How much does a publican pay for bottles of peroni and peroni 00? If you don't know the price of peroni feel free to use a different example.

It's funny how the difference in costs just happens to magically tally to the tax difference on the two products enabling publicans to sell them for the same price.

I see non alcoholic beers are cheaper than alcoholic beers in the supermarkets. Interesting considering the higher costs you refer to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭batman75

Expect this to get a lot worse with the next hike in the minimum wage in addition to the new added cost to business of pension contributions. Ireland is fast heading towards Scandinavia levels of cost of living. Some might argue we are already there. I got a toasted sandwich in a country town with a pint of coke and was charged 22 euro. Yes I got a measly portion of chips and salad but still. Should have been no more than 16/17 euro.

• Only one I can check from my suppliers that sell alcohol but

Guinness 0.0 24x558ml €41

Guinness 24x558ml €80..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

well seeing as you’re so well versed, how much extra per litre does it cost to make a 0.0 beer compared with the full alcohol version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yet in the pub you’ll pay the same price for both. Publicans don’t have the tax excuse, so it’s pretty much the definition of gouging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭rogber

A bit like a Brit going on holiday to Spain and saying the best spot for a bit of breakfast is that place that does the good old English fry up with a litre of lager to wash it down.

Says more about the speaker than the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I recall seeing a bar in Pattaya,Thailand, many years ago, called The Legless Arms. Not sure if it was an Irish or an English one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Seeing as there's multiple Irish in pretty much every country it's possible ther's a few in hell so people wont mind going to hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's the same when charging €3+ for the 200ml bottles of Coke/Diet Coke. They're well used to extracting the urine with pricing, it's finally catching up with them and want us to feel sorry.

I've a wedding next week, I don't drink in general (aside from a stag warm up and the stag this year, I hadn't drank in nearly 7 years). I'll be bringing a bottle of something with me and filling up via the room. Not paying hotel prices, let alone bar prices. The current pricing removes the enjoyment imo.

• Advertisement

No. Not really.

The problem with boozers abroad is that they're usually "bars" and not "pubs", and a pub is a different thing to a bar, if you get my drift. There's a very good reason why Irish pubs do so well in foreign countries. If it's done right, it can be a great atmosphere. A lot of bars in Europe, for example, can be very cold. You go in, buy your drink, and then feck off. There's no sense of comfort. As I said, the best pub in Hamburg is an Irish pub. The best pub in Paris was an Irish pub.

It's good to see to see how the locals go out for a night and a bit of difference can be great. But it's also good to have a bit of familiarity too. It doesn't always have to be that way and one doesn't cancel out the other either.

That's not to say that they're all great. They majority will be diddly aye plastic paddy bollocks. But you do get the odd gem.

Advertisement