Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most of it is either rank or so bland as to be tasteless. Tasteless like the 'iconic' chicken fillet roll. Machine recovered reconstituted chicken in a fake French baguette. Jambons are of the rank category, the smell of these culinary abominations alone is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Roderic O'Gorman is probably the most dangerous man in Irish politics. He's the first person that would ever tempt me to vote SF if it meant keeping him out of cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Rugby is an awful sport. From its very origins its been a game created for those who can't play soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Utter bastard. Who does he think he is, going round halving childcare costs for parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

edited out

Not shouting for Team Israel or Team Palestine and wading into the mire of whataboutery. I've had it with both of them.

Would have been mildly sympathetic to the Palestinian cause but I think they have lost the room with many after the latest attack. ISIS grade brutality. I'm not engaging with any replies to this so save your typing fingers and don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Plus you can use the smegma for your cheese on toast in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mine….Child benefit should be means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

There should be no jail time for retaliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Would be up for that. I have my list ready. What sort of punishment are you thinking suitable? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it should not be a benefit at all, it should be a tax credit.

Situations like the following:

Man A starts a fight (unprovoked) and Man B ends up seriously injuring him.

No punishment for Man B on the basis that he did not instigate the row. Man A to be convicted of assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I think it should also be restricted to maybe 6 kids. Marginal cost decreases the more there are and I don’t think there should be any encouragement to anyone to breed like a rabbit.

Nurses are not the living angels they like to portray themselves. Many are lazy, disinterested in the patients and extremely patronising to older people . They have one of the strongest lobby groups/unions in the country, driven by their single minded self interest wrapped up in the pretence of being primarily concerned about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭pgj2015

6 kids? more like 2 kids.

I used to think rich people shouldnt get it but they pay tax and work hard, why should they not get it and wasters who never worked a day in their life get it? the rich are probably more deserving of child benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lol, we need children. We have one child and can't really afford another if we ever want to buy a house some day. So we're part of the 'one and done' brigade. Who will pay our pensions and fund our health care when we're older?

Maybe we can get lots of young immigrants to work in the future. Africa has lots of young people (and i dont think the general Boards users would be particularly happy about that) but it would be better if local people could afford to have children to keep the country going.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Human priorities are an utter failure. We should be spending our time drinking and having orgies while waiting for crops to grow.

But no, we freak out and cause hardship over car bodywork, give ourselves high blood pressure over trivial issues in a job that is likely pointless and cripple ourselves with worry over providing shelter that every other species manages to do for free.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

The ones that breed like rabbits tend to produce kids who grow into adults who are a drain on the welfare system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I hope Ireland lose tonight. The only thing worse than rugby as a sport is the tools endlessly talking about it for weeks, every work meeting, cycle spin, pub chat. I dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...in an environment of rising inequality, you ll find most wealthy in fact were born into wealth, have much higher chances in remaining wealthy, as they re generally far better educated, have a strong social networks, have better access to services, can use their resources to remain wealthy, including influencing public policies, use their resources to expand their ownership of assets, some of which were provided at birth...

....do the wealthy really work that hard, yes some do, but some really really dont, as they really just make sure they influence public policies, so that they can remain in their privileged positions.....

...now lets look at those on the other end of the spectrum.....

generally born into really sh1t situations, highly dysfunctional homes, social networks, including neighborhoods, which in turn generally leads to really sh1t outcomes for many, including long term unemployment, early leaving our educational system, with little or no skills, which of course leads to really sh1t employment opportunities, if at all, extremely high chances of long term addiction and mental health issues, highly dysfunctional relationships, separations etc etc etc.....

....yup, life really is tough for those higher on the socioeconomic ladder there!

People on the other side have all those disadvantages from the beginning but also face the prospect of unemployment and poverty or employment on low wages and poverty. Never owning a house, never having advantages to offer their children and being a burden on the state through benefits like housing even if they work. Not a brilliant prospect or incentive to work.

My partner and I both earn about bang on the median wage so we can't complain. We manage money carefully and we get by. But I'm not sure I'd be enthused by the prospect of working hard in a low wage job and still being in poverty AND still being called a burden on society.

The low wage people make the country work and keep nice things cheap for the rest of us. Even if you we don't want to make work pay for those people because it would make the things we enjoy more expensive, the least we can do is not consider them azzholes on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People who want their own nation to lose need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Not always. Retaliation can sometimes be delayed - the victim may leave the scene & later return with a weapon. They usually end up getting convicted.

Couldn't care less who wins, just hope both teams have a nice time.

....we ve created a very messy situation for yourselves, we re effectively sending people back into a new type of poverty, we have a rising number of well educated people heading towards deep sh1t territory, this isnt gonna end well, the extremes are coming, get ready! we better get busy trying to resolve this problem, or we re all gonna end up in the sh1tter! we ve ignored the so called azzholes for too long now, and theyve been running right, theyve endangered us all, including themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Most rich people I know weren't born into rich families, they worked hard and made themselves rich.

And I was talking about lazy non workers not people in low paid employment.

...and again, yes some wealthy people have indeed worked extremely hard for their earnings, but many havent! its a complete myth that many rich have earned their wealth, again, many simply were born into it, and continued by maintaining influence in public policy in order to maintain this position, as is the case globally! for example, wealth is generally stored in the value of assets such as property, it is common that such asset owners will us their position to maintain such outcomes, for example by objecting to developments that may have negative effects on the valuation of their property etc....

• Advertisement

Yes, exactly. I was being generous with 6, just as a start. You couldn’t really argue with stopping it at 6. It’s ridiculous that there’s no limit on it.

Advertisement