Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

So you’re excusing his blatant failure by complimenting the style of play? This narrative of him having the team playing good football is a total myth. I can’t understand how people are still running with this story. I honestly think you don’t even believe it yourself at this stage.

Tell me how playing 4 or 5 passes around our own 3rd of the pitch before player panic and then launch it or just pass it aimlessly to the opposition is good football? It’s embarrassing. We are so easy to play against and play through. Teams must piss themselves laughing when they draw us. The players have absolutely no clue what they’re meant to be doing. You can see it on their faces in every single game. So tell me this, if the players haven’t a clue what the system is or what the plan is for a game, how does a joe soap in the stand or at home in his armchair meant to know? Last night was absolutely embarrassing from start to finish. There are literally no positives to take from the game, yet you still seem happy with things because Stephen Kenny is “trying” to do something? He’s had 27 competitive games and he’s won 5 and some of our defeats against poor teams have been abysmal. It’s not working, it was never going to work and it never will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Brian Kerr and Jack Charlton both had 50%+ win ratios.

Stephen Kenny was an absolute imposter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Maybe get Steve back in haha. Has Kenny had any good wins? Maybe one? Scotland at home?

That was the only decent win. The rest were minnows.

He has lowered the bar to a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Staunton and Kenny are the only two managers to visibly take the team backwards in the time they were manager. Not bad luck luck or anything, they were just useless at the job and not up managing Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

And would you prefer the old ways of 0 passes around the pitch, just hoof and hope that Keane's foot or Duffy's head will get to it?

Last night was turgid, but yes I've enjoyed previous games where the young lads at least look like they want to play a game of football over hoping a James McLean slide tackle gets us the ball so he doesn't play neutered for 87 minutes because he's on a yellow.

Trying to do something will always get my approval over whatever it was we were doing before, and now the time has come for the rough draft Kenny has drawn up to be handed over to someone else to build on, and maybe try and find a playmaking midfielder somewhere in the youths.

Or we can go back to hoofball, maybe the fai can pay the bar tabs in corporate again and the prawn sandwich brigade can pretend they like it.

When you look at the players Staunton inherited and how they started against Sweden in landsdowne, there's no competition for worst manager for me.

No, just amused at the idea we've ever been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭vid36

Its over, in fact further humilation is all thats left at this stage.No guarantee he will finish on a high v the All Whites with a hugely depleted squad .But at least it will finish off this cult for good.

• Advertisement

Stephen Kennys level is the LOI.

The poor man couldn't even string two words together in an interview to make things worse for him.

We were competitive.

Now we are both poor and uncompetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,287 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Never existed? we qualified for multiple tournaments under …

Jack, Mick, Trapp & O’Neill… also we qualified for a World Cup Quarter Final, World Cup Last 16… and in Euro ‘88 we didn’t let the side down in a group of death… England, Holland & Soviet Union… two out of those three teams ended up in the final….it doesn’t get any more difficult than that.

So winning ways did exist really.

Now we have Kenny ways…. We might as well have Kenny Everett managing us….. because the pure nonsensical gibberish coming out of him in interviews in the aftermath of horrible results and brain dead performances from him on the sideline and his players on the pitch is something to behold…..

his lack of big game tactical nouse in situations that require a rapid tactical response and intervention and he’s just left standing there, looking on…… he doesn’t do proactive, he barely even does ‘reactive’…

there are no reasons or mitigating circumstances that should enable him to remain as Ireland manager..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

You keep mentioning “hoofball”. Let me ask you this, have we ever been as bad before? Don’t give me any nonsense about not having the players. We have several £20m premier league players and a potential £100m player in Evan Ferguson so whilst not being a great squad, for people to knock them and say the squad is awful is unfair. Constantly making excuses for Kenny is done and dusted now. The majority have finally realised what the minority spoke about 3 and a bit years ago.

And yes I would prefer the old ways of 0 passes because do you know what, it always kept us competitive. Have you ever witnessed an Irish team throw in the towel at home in the manner they did last night? They do deserve criticism also but for that muppet to stand with his hands in his pockets until 70 minutes before trying to change things is unforgivable. He has plan A and that’s all he has. The unfortunate thing for all concerned here is plan A doesn’t work. The man is so far out of his depth it’s not even funny. Even his interview after the match last night said it all. He is totally clueless and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't get this defence of Kenny by citing the style of play. When Kenny took over, our best route to a goal was via a set-piece. And that still remains the case today. 2 set-piece goals were scored by the Ireland team in this group in 2023. Idah's penalty vs the Dutch, and Collins' goal away to Greece which came from Ferguson's flick-on at a corner.

In the Nations League when we lost 2-1 in Scotland, Egan's goal was from a corner. I think Egan got one against Portugal from a corner as well if I remember correctly. In the 3-0 win over Gibraltar, breakthrough goal came as a result of a Smallbone free-kick. The other 2 goals were crosses into the box for Ferguson and Idah to head in. So I don't get the argument in worrying about hoofball as the alternative when our best chance for a goal at present is by hoofing it to someone. Most of our pressure last night appeared to be from Smallbone hoofing it into the box and their keeper trying to punch it clear.

Just imagine if, in addition to doing this, we could also be well organised defensively, and keep clean sheets into the bargain. Let's get a coach that can play to our strengths.

Hamann was spot on. Kenny pulled the wool over some people's eyes. The overhaul of the style of play was nonsense.

We went from being competitive to uncompetitive, while still playing **** football.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reclose

Except we weren’t competitive at the end of the MON era or second Mick era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

He gets a lot of support from the supposed “real football men” types. The ones that scoff at people going to England to see a game when they won’t go to see Bohs play Sligo. He’s one of them. Amateur thinking in a professional era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I wouldn't put Kenny in charge of the Women's team as he's that tactically inept and clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

100% - where was the beautiful passing football he promised? We didn't see even a hint of it in the two games against Greece....all we saw was the team getting played off the pitch in both matches and looking disorganised and uncoached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cal naughton

The link's to Lennon and Bruce are pure nonsense probably put out there by the cult to show that the alternatives are desperate.

Why couldn't we get Gus Poyet a manager on 500k , schooled us tactically twice, has knowledge of English leagues and probably has a house in England still, can conduct an interview and most importantly has the charisma to motivate a team. Unlike Irelands dullest man stephan Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,931 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Kenny should have been gone by now and bring back Mick Mccarthy at least he was doing things right and improving the team. It has gone downhill since Kenny took over.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Offer the job to Rafa he is more than likely done in club management he lives in Liverpool so easy for him to travel to see the Irish players around the UK.

Villas-Boas could also be an option.

Bruce is nearly 63. He’s had a 25 year career in club management…

he’s won promotion on 4 occasions.

that said as a negative.. he’s never won a trophy as a manager….nothing that I can see on his CV.

there are pluses and negatives for his appointment…

id say at his age though he might be keen on the role…. An awful lot less work….about 13/14 matches a year… including friendlies. He’s got to be a multimillionaire already even from working in the championship….he’s never been out of work for any significant duration….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

Hynesie08 must be Stephen’s ma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I'm his ma who thinks it's time for him to go? As a child, Did you play jumpers for goalposts but forget to get out of the jumper?

Kenny has had great success in the LOI… I spent time going to watch his Bohs teams… what always genuinely impressed me was his ability to bring in very good players… he has a terrific eye for a player… but he can’t ring the FAI and say “ hey this summer we’ll need a keeper, a full back, two wingers and a striker….

the double winning Bohs teams he had practically two good players for every position…a mix of experience and youth….he did brilliantly. Squad depth and quality unseen and unmatched in the league to that point….

he has to deal now with being told what players he can pick, no cheque book or chats with the chairman can help him any here.

its all new to him and it’s falling apart somewhat…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I love it when they do the drink from shoe thing

(I don't)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

The result against Greece was surely the final straw. This team has regressed and will continue to do so for as long as he is in charge.

The idea that our senior squad can compete at this level and play what people consider to be attractive football has now been show to be a myth.

The standard of our current squad shows this to be the case.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement