Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,384 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling will star in an untitled Ocean 11 prequel set in 1960s Monte Carlo. According to director Jay Roach, the two will play a romantic couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So it will be a sequel to the 1960 Oceans 11 then if it’s set in the 60’s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume it's a prequel in involving some ancestor of Danny Ocean, just so the name can still apply?

Man I wish they'd leave this series alone; though if this does happen it couldn't be less of a damp squib than Ocean's 8. If nothing else 8 was a good way to highlight the ineffable style and quality the Clooney / Soderbergh films had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never understood the appeal of those movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Ocean's Eleven (2001) is a stone-cold modern classic as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely oozes style and cool - one of the great examples of Soderbergh's almost preternatural filmmaking brilliance. While it's not necessarily the greatest heist film of them all (I'd give that title to something like Rififi, Le Cercle Rouge or Thief) it is by a considerable margin the most fun, and it's all so slickly delivered. The entire final act is a joy.

Ocean's Thirteen is about as solid a 'more of the same' sequel as there has been, although having recently revisited the much-maligned Ocean's Twelve I can see why there's been a minor-key reevaluation of that in recent years. Yes, it's self-indulgent and messier than the original, but it's also an awful lot of fun in ways that I definitely didn't grasp when I first watched it on TV years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The box office is screaming do new sh1t , this is not the way

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seems 'National Cinema Day' is back this year. Silly name, but can't complain about the deal: €4 cinema tickets in most cinemas around the country next Saturday. Covers new releases as well as ones that have been around for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Do all Indian movies break out into song and dance routines?

Seen a few impressive trailers and clips for Indian action movies over the years but been put off by the notion in my head that every now and again in the film there will be a big musical number.

I love a good musical but Indian songs have no appeal to me.

I tried a movie on Netflix about the first female fighter pilot in the Indian military - I got interrupted and didn’t get the catch to watch again but it did have several songs playing over scenes and montages that I thought were too loud and too often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Happily, that lawsuit, which could have had huge repercussions for the entire industry, has been dismissed & thrown in the trash: however, the reason why it was dismissed is so hilariously stupid it bares highlighting. I'll just quote the article's own text, emphasis mine...

But the court found that Woulfe, who rented the movie a second time on Google Play under the belief that de Armas could appear in a director’s cut, “lacks standing” to bring a suit because his “injury is self-inflicted.” Wilson concluded Woulfe didn’t watch Yesterday because of statements from Universal that de Armas appears in the movie. He also found that there was no reason to believe that the “version of Yesterday they accessed on Google Play would be a different version of the movie” than the one they watched the first time.

Commence your bwahahaha's here.

Forgot about that story. Some people have no shame in showing publicly how pathetic they are.

Has Ana de Armas ever talked about this?

Speaking of … I watched GHOSTED this morning. Very enjoyable fun and predictable action film but something about just felt felt off and I couldn’t figure it out until after the film was over.

de Armas and Evans just had zero chemistry.

• Advertisement

If she has commented I'm not aware of it; I'd imagine she had the good sense to give a wide berth to the whole thing; a nonsense that amounted to some sad horny men outing their motivation for cinema was to ogle pretty ladies - but a case that could have destroyed film marketing as we know it.

Interesting Mandela example from Moonraker , did Jaw's girlfriend have braces?, if pushed I think I would have said yes in that it was a commonality between them.... but apparently not. Some commentors in the video still insist there were

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Roku laying off 300 staff another streamimg platform not doing great.

I never trusted the critic reviews in isolation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Yeah , RT has always been corrupted. It took advantage of people who still think critics are an authority on the movies they watch. The days of Barry Norman are long gone , now you have journalists cutting their teeth reviewing pap before aspiring to write for bigger publications. No journo wants their CV marred with a poor review for Black Panther , hence the stupidly high critic score of 96% LOL.

Back when real critics weren't suck up studio cronies , they'd have rated every one of these mickey mouse SH movies like the panned but much superior Blade movies- 1 & 2. A Blade movie if it came out now will grade high in the 80s , low 90's.

Another most blatant example of studio allegiance is the score for Bright (2017).

An excellent film that was trashed for no reason other than it was a Netflix original. "Critics" couldn't give a good score to the up and coming streamer that had blagged maga star Will Smith.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright

I doubt many people would use an aggregate critic score as a signal to go see a movie or not. If its a new film people will tend to know how the wind is blowing anyway, for an old film, aggregate user scores will be a better clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

An actual review trumps all for me. And I have reviewers that I view as trustworthy to give their honest view. Rotten tomatoes can end up with a hundred percent if a movie gets luke warm reviews. It's a nice metric in terms of knowing a film isn't awful but I'll still use the actual critics for a general gauge.

I've never once used RottenTomatoes as a tool to figure if I might like a movie or not; the entire concept is reductive and idiotic. The idea of reducing a movie's worth down to a percentage point is a real IT world's attempt to make subjective art something mathematically precise - and undercut the value of discussion.

At least something like letterboxd keeps it to traditional star ratings - and you can easily see the distribution of ratings for those films with a broad church of support/hatred. While reviews are front and centre too. No big Number that's meant to be a source of truth.

TBH the only time I ever see RT ratings quoted is as ammunition to make some point insisting how "critics got it wrong", that Film X is great actually, the numbers say so - or indeed that people hated Film X, usually around some critical darling requiring taking down a peg or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The UK broadcast of The Oscars is going to be shown live on ITV1 & ITVX from next March.

Sky gave up it's rights deal from Disney to show the Oscars earlier this year. The previous deal on Sky lasted for 20 years. I wonder what is going to happen with the Irish rights for The Oscars. Could VMTV be allowed to show it live to Irish audiences next year if RTÉ give up the rights to their highlights deal?

given people being paid to write good reviews, their instincts were correct

• Advertisement

With the Neil Blomkamp RoboCop movie dead in the water (IIRC), saw the next best thing is still on its way in the world of video-games, complete with Peter Weller lending his voice. I do wonder if this is a stalking horse for another attempt at a re-do.

The game doesn't appear to be leaning into the satirical aspects though, playing it suspiciously straight - which, if true, a big boooo from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,384 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Elijah Wood as "sort of Riff Raff from The Rocky Horror Picture Show and the Danny DeVito Penguin mixed together"

Michael Caine has confirmed he has retired from acting at the age of 90 what a career he has had.

Didn't he retire from the business a few years ago as well?

Bloody hell though...90? Wow.

Said it before but acting & directing must be one of the few careers you can legitimately still do into your 90s if you live that long (albeit with very specific types of roles).

If someone told me I'd be programming into my late 80s, arthritis notwithstanding, I'd lock myself in a room and cry. Mind you, the way the pension age keeps going up, the cost of living increasing, we may end up doing just that

Only if you're lucky enough for a company to hire you in your old age. Most companies won't touch people in their 50's, never mind their 80's.

THE GEEAT ESCAPER is nice one to end a career on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭megaten

Has's anyone tired Terracotta's streaming service? Few films on it I'd rather spend 4-5 euro to rent rather than buying a bluray for.

https://stream.terracottadistribution.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Game looks like it could be a bit monotonous but I'd love a good RoboCop game. Hopefully, it works out since their Terminator game was warmly received. It's a nice compromise between having Weller back and him not wearing the suit.

Once Paul Verhoeven left, the film franchise went to pot. It could still be fun but it lost the magic of the original.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement