Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Rejects Recognition of Aboriginals - For Shame

Options
  • 14-10-2023 1:50pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very sad outcome on the referendum to recognise the right of Australia’s aboriginal people - a people completely mistreated and subjugated since the prison convicts arrived on the ships from England 230 years ago. This was not a vote on giving the indigenous Australians any sort of special status, just a means to begin a healing of the historic injustices meted out to them over the decades.

Shame on you, Australia. When I was over there for a month back in 2000 I have to say I found so many Aussies to be shockingly racist and intolerant of racial minorities, with the native Aboriginals viewed by many as little better then animals. Vile attitudes coming from supposedly urbane, educated people that frankly disgusted and shocked me in how so many were in no way shy of expressing their naked racism.

My late father had even stronger views about Aussies from his visits there - uncouth, ignorant, intolerant, boorish and loud were his terms to describe them.

Anyone else disappointed - or surprised - at the referendum result where Australians do not consider their own oppressed native peoples in any way equal and deserving of being treated with dignity and respect?

For shame, Australia, for shame. 😥😡

Link:

Threadbans

downtheroad

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not a bit surprised, like yourself I spent a few months there in 2000 and found them just like you.

The indigenous people were at the very bottom of the ladder and the attitude of the whites was that it was their own fault for being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't think Australians have ever voted in favour of any referenda.

They are the Donegal of the southern hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭yagan

Not surprised, but with each census it seems more people respond about having an aussie aboriginal ancestor, so obviously a lot of DNA searches are giving people an awakening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

At least they had a referendum, unlike here

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

Again, having been there about 20 years ago myself, I'm not surprised, but am disappointed. They won't revisit a vote like that for decades. I find it v difficult to understand what problem people would have had with the proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭yagan

Here we go. We had one in the 90s, the good Friday Agreement meaning that denizens of Northern Ireland can choose to be British or Irish, or both.

A British person can live in the republic without ever having to be become a citizen, unless they want to vote in Presidential and MEP elections, and in constitutional referendums.

There's no obstacle to them becoming Irish citizens once they've been proven resident for five years.

Now this thread will spin off about religious rights of protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Only something like 6 referendums out of 44 over the last 100 years have been passed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,914 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aboriginal Australians

Irish Travellers.

Compare and contrast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you mean in Ireland, 31 referenda received a Yes vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

It was a referendum without a proper plan for implementing the yes decision. Left acres of space for the 'no' to steer up concerns and left even those interested in the idea unsure. They made a mess of it to the detriment of the aboriginals and straight islanders

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Maybe it's a similar relationship we have with our ethnic minority

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Aussies are a very arrogant bunch. Not surprised. The aboriginal Australians are seen as layabout pests who love alcohol. They have been treated terribly for a long time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Don't know anything about this referendum or the small print so I won't comment on that but one or two points to puts things in perspective:

Aboriginals in Aus benefit from affirmative action recruiting. IOW they are given paid jobs based on their minority status.

In the Congo and other parts of Africa, the indigenous hunter-gatherer remnants like Pygmy tribes are still displaced, murdered and persecuted - as in, this is happening right now. Some countries, like Uganda, were only settled by Bantu-speaking agricultural peoples as late as the 17th century. So these indigenous Africans peoples are an almost exact parallel with Aborigines and American Indians except they have it much, much worse.

Indigenous Christian communities in the Middle East like Assyrians and Copts are still persecuted. They are almost wiped out in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

People are shockingly racist there. Very surprising considering they are immigrants themselves and I don't think a lot of them realise that. You have lads going around with Irish/UK surnames racially abusing people from Ireland and the UK calling them POMs sir Paddy's. **** jokers.

Aboriginal people are the real Australians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I know the OP was there for a few weeks 20 years ago and so is the expert in all of this, but looking at the details I can sort of understand why so many Australians didn't buy into the referendum.

You will hear this from a lot of commentators but its absolutely true, the wording of that referendum created a division between the different ethnic groups in Australia. It formally grouped the aboriginals as a separate part of the population.

It was no longer all Australians, it made things "them and us", and when the hell has that ever worked?

It may have meant well but it was a balls of a referendum, and thats my opinion no matter how many smug Irish middle aged men think that makes me a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't want to go near the traveller thing, but the parallels with what Enda Kenny did are quite apt.

He created a them and us scenario and how did that work out? Is anybody happy about it still?

You recognise and respect peoples ethnicities, but ffs you don't treat them differently to anybody else. That way leads to nothing but trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW the wording being voted on was

“Chapter IX Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples

129 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice

In recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Peoples of Australia:

there shall be a body, to be called the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice;

the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice may make representations to the Parliament and the Executive Government of the Commonwealth on matters relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;

the Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws with respect to matters relating to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice, including its composition, functions, powers and procedures.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

How the flip did Enda Kenny create an us and them re travelers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

There was a them and us sentimate long before Enda Kenny was even born.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’ve never been Australia and only met a few in NYC. Unlikable people . One , a naturalised Aussie , though originally born wexford , used to lament that up until the ’60’s it was legal to shoot an ‘Abo’ on your land . True or not I don’t know but disgraceful all the same .

Never legal but ignored

https://homework.study.com/explanation/when-was-it-legal-to-shoot-aborigines.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

"If you don't know vote No" Probably the best slogan you can have for a referendum, but that get's written off as "project fear" by any yes campaigners doesn't matter if it's for this or Brexit or the repeated EU ref.

Seen some of the Yes supporters trying to argue against peoples reason for voting No, such as not know the details that would be legislated after the vote. No voters saying they didn't want to give the government a blank cheque or take "trust us" as an answer, with Yes campaigners saying they've already have that but if so what's the point of the referendum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

downtheroad threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

If you don't know vote no....

I'd have voted no personally on the small bit I read about it.

You met one bloke from a different era and formed an opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Given the way many Irish people speak about travellers I don't know if we are in much of a position to critics how Austrailiana treat their indigenous people. If Enda made granting travellers ethnic minority status to a referendum it never would have passed.

Advertisement