Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Russia condemns the killing of both Palestinian and Israeli people and has tabled a vote at the UNSC for an immediate ceasefire and safe passage of aid to Gaza. If it is vetoed it will then be put to all nations of the UN to individually vote on in the general assembly.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think you mean... When it is vetoed!

No doubt all those countries who recognize the state of Palestine would vote in favour and the rest, for the most part will abstain.

They can't be seen siding with Russia/Iran and going against Israel, yet they can't actually vote against it as it would go against all morales. They really need to remove that abstain option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

England is their homeland, not Ireland, and Ireland was never once considered a "homeland" for the UK. England or the UK is not under threat. So no, nobody would think it vaguely credible that England would suddenly decide it wants Ireland again.

What are you suggesting, Israel just stops existing? Hardly a logical argument.

The argument is stupid, Israel exists, and it's not going anywhere. Waffling on about how it should never have been created is pointless.

And that's besides the fact that Jews always lived there and have historic ties to the land going back millenium, they didn't throw a dart at the world map in 1947.

So yes, it's entirely correct to say that it doesn't matter at this stage the rights or wrongs of how Israel was created because it's not going anywhere.

Lumping that factual statement in with "so you think it's OK to kill civilians" and " so you support them doing whatever they want" is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

Hamas Palestinians are clearly not doing enough to limit casualties. If the final figure is 5,000 Israel's dead do you think that's ok. So far 1300 dead. At least 150 hostages. Remember Hamas Palestinian's were rampaging through Israel this day last week the were not trying to limit the casualties. O no there only concern was what way we will kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

Warning, horrific images and videos from Gaza.

Look back along through that for the last few days, can you honestly say Israel are doing their best to target Hamas.

It's very clear they don't care who they hit with their bombs and they have said as much in many interviews over the last few days. They have said Hamas are to blame for the civilian casualties of Israeli bombs. That's not good enough, and they are committing war crimes. Two sides committing war crimes doesn't make it ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

I don't think it has much to do with who recognizes Israel as a state or not. I think it is more to do with who wants a ceasefire and humanitarian aid to be sent to over a million children really and who does not, same when it goes to the general assembly. An abstention is just a shambles really in this case.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

What is happening around the Israeli Embassy in Ballsbridge? I was just out for lunch and roads closed off everywhere inc Shelbourne Rd, guards all over the place and helipcopter overhead. Is there protests expected today?

By closed off everywhere - also city centre roads including Pearse Street and Mount Street.

NVM - its a march. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I guess Israel can have a vote in the UN for support for the war and for cutting off all aid to Gaza. If what you say is true, those who vote no to Russia's resolution would vote yes to Israel's. It's never a simple vote, it's always political, hence the vetos and abstentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

It's actually very unlikely but hey, don't let that stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They've bombed those crossings multiple times this week, the place they're telling them to go to.

• Advertisement

My example was what if people in England who have ancestors that once lived in Ireland for hundreds of years suddenly decided they want to return here. It was only an example and yes it would be ridiculous for them to think that would be a reasonable thing to do. Just as it was ridiculous for Zionists to think they could just "return" to their "homeland" and start deciding which bits they wanted for themselves and whoever was there could just leave.

The population of Jews in the region before the beggining of Zionism was about 2%. What is it now?

And yes, Israel exists with 75 years and shur how can you just move them all out now. Do you think this means they have the right to committ war crimes to defend themselves. If they want to continue to exist in that region they will have to continue to try and defend themselves against terrorists and whatever else without continuing to commit war crimes. They chose to create their so called "homeland" so they can put up with the mess they have created as far as I am concerned and they shouldn't have support from the rest of the world to defend it. In my view their current situation is of their own making. They are being bankrolled by the US to continue this misery.

The western world decided to be on the side of the Israelis because it suited them better for many economic and political reasons. That doesn't mean the Israelis are the side of good and the Palestinians are on the side of evil and deserve what they get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Israel aren't doing themselves any favors in the PR world over the past week. The various statements from some of their politicians and lack of clarity of practical miltary objectives from this war (an omission noted by some Israeli politicians) are seeing them fall off the relative moral heights that they had a week ago. It's understandable that Twitter is becoming a little less supportive.

I would hope that Israel is moving on from emotion-driven response towards doing something rational. I don't expect Israel to announce ahead of time exactly what they are going to be doing, but they need to hurry up and do it. There probably is an incentive: I'm not sure how long the economy can sustain a full military mobilization.

This nonsensical comparison has to be put to bed.

Firstly, the IRA was in no way, shape or form connected to, or supported by the Irish Government.

Secondly, for your comparison, imagine a scenario where 1,500 members of the Irish Defence Forces infiltrated the north at the behest of the Taoiseach of the day and massacred 1,400 civilians in Belfast as an act of demanding the North be returned.

What do you think the UK would do then? Invite the Taoiseach to a polite sit down?

People seem to fail to grasp the basic fact that Hamas is the literal Government and ruling authority of Gaza, as elected back in 2006 based on a charter of wiping Israel off the map.

So trying to draw direct paraellels to the IRA launching attacks on UK forces is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭Francis McM

During the 1940,s the IRA were so despised here south of the border that DeValera executed some prisoners in Irish prison in cold blood, with no outcry.

During the failed IRA border campaign of 1956-62, which claimed dozens of victims, the IRA were successfully interned on both sides of the border.

So no comparison with Gaza.

The IDF is going to retaliate and invade Gaza, where so many attacks against Israel were launched from. In the past, Israel retaliating kept the lid on things. The question is this time, with Hamas sheltering in bunkers under schools and hospitals etc, what will Israel do?

Firstly, I never said anything about the Irish government. My point was, when the IRA attacked the British army or protestants in the North, would it have been ok for the British army to have started bombing indiscriminantly the estates they went back into afterwards. Of course it wouldn't, they'd have killed huge amounts of innocent people (who may even have supported the IRA, but innocent nonetheless) and that would be a war crime.

They'd do a bit more than have a sit down with Michael alright, but they wouldn't start bombing houses and apartments blocks full of kids indiscriminately. That would be a war crime. If a nation is attacked can they begin committing war crimes as they see fit?

Look through that and explain why they are justified to committ those war crimes and why the rest of the world should continue to help them to do that?

Israel isn't bombing indiscriminately.

That's not an approval of what they are doing, but it's being realistic.

If Israel was bombing Gaza, an incredibly dense urban area, "indiscriminately" as is claimed here, 100 thousand Gazan people would be dead if not more.

Single bombing raids during WW2 on urban population centres killed between 50 and 100 thousand people on a single night in some of the worst cases.

If Israel's goal was to kill Palestinian civlians, or to commit genocide like some people claim, half the population of Gaza, a million people, would be dead by now.

To be perfectly honest with the sheer, completely unprecedented volume of ordinance dropped on Gaza it's actually a miracle more people haven't been killed. That doesn't mean it's OK that 1,500 people have been killed. That doesn't mean it's OK that many more people will die before this is over.

The facts are that Israel is targetting anything in Gaza associated with Hamas and civilians are dying. After last weekends attacks they are determined to wipe Hamas off the face of the earth. Is that goal achievable? Probably not.

Does that make it OK that civilians are dying? I don't think anyone thinks civlians dying on any side is OK.

People saying what Israel is doing is wrong are absolutely, 100 percent, justified in saying that, but they are not bombing indiscriminately and to say they are is making words lose all meaning.

Very strongly agree and a perfectly sensible post.

What strikes me is the difference in emotional response.

When Israelis were slaughtered in their hundreds in the most depraved and iniquitous manner, the responses tended toward tepid condemnation, "Yes what Hamas did was wrong but...".

When Israels response leads to the deaths of civilians, the condemnation is framed with absolute incandescent rage; "Israel is a terrorist state, sick and evil, how can anyone support them!" etc.

I shouldn't have said indiscriminantly, that goes too far, your right. They are not just dropping bombs on a house hoping to get lucky, and you'd hope they are targeting houses and apartments that Hamas are firing from or located in. But they aren't doing enough to ensure civilian casualties are lower and they have said they won't be doing much to ensure that.

If you look through that telegram thread there's hundreds of examples of ambulance drivers and innocent people being blown up and it's very hard to defend that. How do you defend blowing up truckloads of people trying to leave as instructed. For all the sophisticated weaponry and surveillance equipment in the hands of the IDF, the amount of women and children dead in a few days is far too high and it's not going to stop, it will be worse. There's 2200 people killed in Gaza in last few days, 720 of which are children and this is still rising as hospitals are in a bad way. 9000 people injured.

Neither Israel nor Hamas deserve anyone's support, they are both in the gutter together.

Because Hamas have been labelled as terrorists. So that's what terrorists do. But we are told that Israel is on the side of all that is good, and therefore you would expect far better, but instead we see more of the same in response.

If a man walked into the home of a family and killed them all bar the father, would it be justified for that father to burn the murderers home with his innocent family in it the next day along with all his neighbours, and would you expect the whole community to stand by him as he does it and cheer him on?

• Advertisement

Corbyn speaking at rally in London, and in all fairness it's fact what he is speaking. How can the West condemn Russians war crimes, while cheering on Israels war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

You have some fair points there, but your forgetting the main point, who started this

Hamas knew, actually everybody knew what Israel's reaction to this would be

They are supposed to have a duty to protect the people they govern but are using them like pawns

They attacked, they knew what Israel would do next, we all did, its why the protests started straight away, its what Hamas wanted and knew would happen

They want Martyrs and sympathy to keep the money and supplies rolling in

Its like me walking into a nightclub and finding the biggest hardest guy in there and slapping him and wondering whats gonna happen next

Its the Palestinian people that we should all feel sorry for, Hamas have hung them out to dry, but still the Wolfie Smiths of this world blame it on Israel

Look a little bit closer to home

Israeli government seem like the laziest on the planet, no effort whatsoever goes into hunting down and making those terrorists pay, they just bomb the Palestine's instead. It goes someway in explaining how terrorists walked into Israel without any resistance , and killed 100's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Any Palestinian who supported HAMAS did this to themselves for the most part.

The marchers in the widespread Worldwide protests need to get this into their skulls.

The sympathy level for them waned with the murderous terrorist attack last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭Francis McM

They did not just walk in, 1000 well organized Hamas soldiers invaded through tunnels, on ground and by with motorized hangliders, with help and training from the Iranians.....and they shot and killed hundreds of Israels who got in their way, some armed but mostly unarmed innocent civilians. They had the element of surprise.

I'm not defending Hamas.

I don't believe Israel should ever have existed and that Zionism is wrong. That's where it started, not last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Tbh a think a lot of the moderates in Western populations (myself included) are aghast at the sheer hypocisy being shown by our leaders.

I'm astounded at Von Der Leyens conduct over the past week. Her actions read like a woman who has been captured by Israeli lobbyists or Mossad have dirt on her. Something isn't right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd imagine there are some in Israel who are thinking that they should have left the Gaza strip with the Egyptians, it's not being worth the effort,

Netanyahu confirming that the "next stage" of the offensive is about to commence.

From Sky News:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Just watched it. No balance, no objectivity, riddled with bias, seething in hatred. Reminding people what a maggoty jew hating weasel of a man he always was. What else is to be expected from a man who called hamas his friends.

Advertisement