Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great rant from Ken today.

Loved that he tried to quit a few times and that sound of absolute disgust at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Claiming that she is bigger then Michael Jackson was is an outrageous claim.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I wish Taylor Swift would fade into obscurity, sick of hearing about that dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

She is massive. You might disagree but it isn't outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

She’s the big pop star in the world right now. That doesn’t make her Elvis or Michael Jackson. Taylor swift more comparable to a modern day Barbara streisland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I'd maybe put her on Madonna's level but no way in hell is she near Michael Jackson. Were you around in his heyday? It was crazy. His music video releases were worldwide events. Also with the splintering of pop culture because of the Internet I don't think anybody can be as big as him. She's definitely bigger than Barbara Streisand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Let's not forget that Taylor Swift hasn't any history of extremely problematic behaviour towards children, so that must count for something?

Shake it off is a bop too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gar

Did she break up with you "and you are never ever ever getting back together"?...

I'll get my coat 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

It was like listening to some little wans celebrity show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

To be fair, it is all over the coverage of American sports and it is interesting how it is being marketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Ken seems to have a regular slot on The Anfield Wrap's podcasts behind their paywall. Him and Neil Atkinson make a great duo. Discussed in depth about the referees going to the UAE. His knowledge of Liverpool and the history of the club would suggest he's a Liverpool fan.

If they ever release one as a free show I'll share a link here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Ken is (or should I say was) definitely a Liverpool fan. I remember from the early newstalk days being mentioned. I thought it was well known

It’s always been very obvious that he is a Liverpool fan, it a just strange that he doesn’t admit to it on the podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny, I always thought he was an arsenal fan till someone mentioned Liverpool a few years ago. But he's of the age where 90% of irish people were either Liverpool or Man-U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I don’t think it’s obvious at all. It’s pretty obvious he doesn’t like the oil money clubs but otherwise I wouldnt have known who he (allegedly) supports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've never found it to be obvious either tbh.

All his references are Liverpool players or Liverpool games/incidents. And he gets obsessed with Liverpool players Nunez, Trent etc. he doesn’t talk about other teams like he does about Liverpool…. Also that time arsenal lost to city last minute when Liverpool were going for the title had him quite upset

As a Liverpool fan, I thought there was a distinct lack of coverage of Liverpool so far this season until after the Spurs game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yep, it's this. He either follows Liverpool or is obsessed. Just listen how often he goes 'its like that time, do you remember, when Liverpool............' 80% of the time its a Liverpool reference.

Doesn't bother me, I'm a Liverpool fan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah so we're back round to the 'Who does Ken really support' question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

The only one "obsessed" is you. You're just a bitter Man Utd fan who has been constantly moaning over the years here about any Liverpool or Man Utd comments Ken makes.

No need for name calling. I didn’t bring up the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Even after reading it on here before and listening out for it, it isn't obvious to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Only way I'd have thought Ken supported Liverpool was based off his disdain towards Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Once I became aware of his Liverpool fandom 5 or 6 years back it did seem pretty obvious going forward alright... it's just clearly the club he's most interested in, has the most knowledge of, uses the most for examples, has the most hyper-fixations with etc etc. I think it's good that he keeps himself officially neutral on the pod though, as soon as you start declaring your interest, it does color perception. I think he does a good job of being critical of Liverpool too when it's warranted (and actually often goes a little over the top, i think in a conscious or unconscious effort to show his neutrality).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The interminable discussion of every VAR decision involving a certain Merseyside club is rather tedious to say the least.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think you could've left it at "every VAR decision". Doesn't need the club specific.

I do get a kick out of a lot of the riled up nature of the discussions at times alright though. tbh there's very little about the SC coverage I've a problem with - and pretty much nothing outside of rugby. Quite happy to just listen to the lads explore what interests them. That's the beauty of the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I heard Ken on a podcast about my favorite game I was ever at.... ken chose the game where Liverpool beat Blackburn on the last day of the season to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭healy1835

Hearing that Gabriel Marcotti had been arguing that Hazard was a better player than Salah was very on brand. Thank god it was on another podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Classic Marcotti

I really enjoyed the rugby preview episode. Justin Marshall is a great guest, it seems like a bit of a coup for them to be able to get him

It's a complete disgrace that the taxpayer is funding horse and greyhound racing. Horse racing doesn't need it and greyhound racing should just be let die. €4000 subsidy per spectator in Youghal, really?!?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Every €1 invested in horse racing yields €35 in economic returns according to Horse Racing Ireland. While I don't agree with this stat, the government investing in Horse Racing makes sense. For every euro invested, more then €1 is returned to the economy.

Investing in Greyhound racing is the scandal here. It makes absolutely no sense. There is no €4000 subsidy per spectator in Youghal. It was a funny point but how thats calculated is silly.

Think you're missing the point Bren, horse racing wouldn't just stop if we stopped subsidising it, so why are we?

Greyhound would, has serious animal welfare issues, and produces no societal or economic benefit whatsoever.

Why is it a ridiculous way of calculating it? If a particular track is subsidised to an average of 12k a meeting and attracts 3 spectators to ANY meeting (whatever about what their average attendance is, but it can't be great can it?) you have to ask wtf is going on.

For once I fully agree with the FAI, a tax which is largely taken from the pockets of football fans goes mostly to the 'sport of kings' and another thing which is barely a sport at all and is dying on its arse.

Don't the horseracing figures include people working in bookies in their numbers?

Oh also, saw this on twitter just now. Wonder what the big news is? My guess is Mark has been off doing something else like the George Gibney pod...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭C4000

If the prize money wasn't attractive then the investment that those big owners make in irish racing would go elsewhere. That investment is a large part of why thousands of people are employed in the racing industry here.

It's the same reason that the IDA give grants to massively profitable multinational companies....we're competing for investment on an international level.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Some of the stats for secondary employment in the reports on racings economic impact are contestable, but it still employs a large number of people directly and generates 2 billion per annum of economic activity.

• Advertisement

Some greyhound tracks have lucrative contracts to run meetings at times of the day when there is no other live sport on. These are purely to provide a betting product for mostly UK based betting shops. That is Youghals business model and they don't look to attract attendees to racing.

According to SC’s twitter, they’re announcing something new called “Episode” with Richie Sadlier next week. No further details yet. Any guesses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Rather than just letting greyhound racing die, it should actively be killed off.

It's a fùcking disgrace in every way.

Yeah it did and that implies without horse racing, the bookies close which is ridiculous.

I listened to the soccer preview (or the rugby one, can't remember) since they tweeted, and they mentioned that the gangs all here Christmas show details will be announced next week.

The new episode with Richie will be a players chair with somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I haven't listened to today's yet - is there a late night post Ireland game one today at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Football fans could make a massive statement but probably won't. Just have a no bet day for a Saturday premier League day. We'd see fairly impressive lobby groups then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭joinme

How come no Friday pod this week, are we getting a post Ire-Gre today instead?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Double bubble on thursday. They explained it on Wednesdays pod.

If bookies need a 'product' at a certain time of day then let them pay for it not the taxpayer.

But the idea of a 'sport' which exists purely because of gambling is obscene.

I was watching Queens of the Stone Age at Glastonbury the other night (great stuff)

Was half expecting to hear 'yes, they asked for that' and 'what are you doing down here ya shoneen man'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement