Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think you can switch between day/night tariffs, but once you switch to a smart plan, then it's smart plans only from that point.

I'm still not sure why not that is, but someone with more technical knowledge on smart meters might explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yes it is possible through the P1 connection highlighted below on your meter, but as far as I know ESBN will not let you read it and have it locked

I think in Europe the utilities let you read it and there are plenty of solutions out there to get the data if it was open. I think anyway if you are to read it you might need to set up something like Home Assistant to easily graph and display the data and if thats the case then you are better off just getting a ShellyEM with CT clamps and just use HA

Read DSMR P1 i.o. having a CT for mains connection current - Integrations - OpenEnergyMonitor Community

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ive one of them dongles ordered, we shall see if it works with the RM108, or will have to wait for the next phase of the rollout.

Getting my smart meter on Monday morning (RM108)....cant wait really to get my full FIT export and be able to charge at those low rates.

Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Smart Meter gone in this morning. Time to make a few calls on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

ive got my letter too saying I won’t get paid for deemed export going forwar unless I install the smart meter still not convinced I should give up my night meter, surely we can all get shafted down the road I.E. whatever providers are in the market can offer crap tariffs in the future?

btw I am heavy user of electricity, 23k KWh per year on average heat pump for water and hot water and bought an EV about 6 months back, 8kwp solar set up but don’t get as.much as I should due to morning shading, 5kwh battery

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It might make sense to hold onto it as long as you can. Depends on your circumstances.

Smart meter rates aren't great unless you have a large battery pack.

We'll all have to change at some stage I'd imagine.

The new smart meters will function exactly the same as the day night until you switch to a smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Not sustainable longer term. Once there's a critical mass on smart meters I'd expect D/N tariffs to look a lot less desirable pricing wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

But if so, that will happen anyway regardless of whether there are some old meter holdouts and would affect both smart D/N and non smart D/N plans. And then, having had the smart meter fitted gives flexibility to leave the D/N rate where the holdout will be stuck with no choice other than the deteriorating D/N deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

That was my point. If on D/N tariff currently I don't see a gain to be had longer term by refusing smart meter install. Just lose choices in the future.

Does anybody have a breakdown of the readings on the rm108?

Thanks

time, A+, a+T2, a+T1, screen test, a-, r+, r-.

A+T2 seems to be day and a+T1 seems to be night (because I've used 0day units so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

Your best bet is to try and renew for a year ASAP to lock in your rates, and give you 12 months to plan your next step

Besides, you are being well shafted getting Deemed exports with a system that size. You should be jumping for joy being offered your actual export amount

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sligobuck

OBIS code name

1.0.0 Current time - day/month/year; hour: minute

1.8.0 Sum of tariffs for consumed energy (1.8.1+1.8.2)

1.8.1 The component of energy consumed at the daily rate

1.8.2 The component of energy consumed at night rate

2.8.0 Sum of tariffs for energy supplied (produced) to the network (2.8.1+2.8.2)

2.8.1 The component of the energy supplied (produced) to the grid at the daily rate

2.8.2 Component of the energy supplied (produced) to the grid at night rate

3.8.0 Consumed reactive energy (+Q) component

4.8.0 The reactive power (-Q) component produced

🌞 8.60kWp PV System. Comprised of 6.2kWp @ 235° azimuth + 2.4kWp @ 145° azimuth, roof angle @ 35°, North Sligo 🌞

Thanks for the full breakdown,

The 2.8.1. And 2.8.2 aren't shown on mine, (export breakdown) just the total export.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So I'm 32 days post install.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Pinergy app, still no data showing. I've emailed Reagan for an update.

Also got this from Energia re my missing final bill.

So despite me switching on September 16th, I will still be billed on the Energia rates until October 3rd?

Boom RM108 installed this morning...how long before they have the data and I can switch to a smart tarrif. EI were saying it could be up to 30 days!!

Sure hope not

Well you'll still be getting your DN and measured export from now.

Mine is in a week and a bit, still not on esbn website

SM Data now live, went in on the 9th oct, only can view 14-15th so far

• Advertisement

Cool, my EI account now has the closing and opening readings on the website and also the ESBN site. I will have to wait the week I suppose until I get some readings.

A bit odd though in that I could not log into my EI online account this moring saying my password or email was wrong (even though it wasnt..)I had to get on to the EI chat box and they had to activate my account again....even though I ve loggin into it fro a coupld of years now. I am assuming now that it says I am on a smart meter to reset it or something. All my data and previous bills were there though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Panrich

If you don’t see any chart for power contributed to the grid on a new installation, or no exports in the csv download, does that mean that you’re not registered via an nc6 or does it take time to percolate through the system?

My panels only went up on Friday and I can see the big drop in consumption but the exported power is not listed.

As previously stated, new RM108 went in on Sat. Registered on ESBN and can see readings from changeover and can now view data graphs and downloads form the 14th.

Does this now mean I should be able to switch to a smart plan? Speaking to Energia on Monday and they said it could be 30days so keen to get a new plan in place to get batteries/EV charged.

Thanks

Mine went live yesterday, could only see 14-15th (went in on the 6th, meter change showed up on the 9th).

today I can see as far back as the 11th now and as far as 8pm on the 16th.

What rates are you currently on, and what are you hoping to switch to?

But export is only currently going back to the 13th,

On the standard Energia D/N plan so 38.36 and 18.40. Had been on the great EV plan that they had which ended a few weeks ago so have been holding fire until now. I'll probably stay with Energia and go to there Smart Drive plan as the 4 hours cheap rate will see me through most of our charging for day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mine was installed on the 3rd. Only checked the website today. It shows the exact hour it was installed and upto 10 Oct. The exact same for export.

Nothing for the last 8 days.

The ESB website says: "ESB Networks updates smart meter data at the end of each day, but it can take 36-48 hours to become visible in your account."

That doesn't seem to be holding true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

I realised that it only graphs a week's worth of data

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Still waiting for live data with Pinergy...

They got the nod from ESB bang on the 30 days, Reagan sent the request for the activation or whatever it is they do, now 2 days later and still nada.

I did get a nice email from Pinergy though congratulating me on being paid 73c for export though! But still no statement to show any detail. I've exported a lot more than that recently, about 15kWh in the last week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My knowledge of this stuff isn't great so please allow me a bit of slack.

I currently have a day/night meter and am just out of contract.

I'm due to get a new smart meter shortly which I assume will be day and night also.

The thing is I don't use much night rate electricity any more. The house originally had storage heaters but they are long gone.

Should I push for a 24 hour rate smart meter? I don't like EV's much if that's an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

I'm still waiting for my first actual Pinergy bill, because I want my opening readings, because Energia closed off my account with them with an estimated reading

Advertisement