Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Had brunch this morning in Lea's, Glucksman. Very nice, all six happy. Three had Hong Kong French Toast, rasberry coulis, peanut butter and topped with condensed milk, two had Rosscarbery Bap, a handy fry basically, and one had Ham Hock and poached eggs, no hollondaise. Not massive plates but fine. Three had beverages, total cost €69 for 6, great value. would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Gallagher's on McCurtain Street used to have a good pork belly main. It seems to be off the menu now, but they still have a teriyaki glazed pork belly as a starter.

I would imagine Holy Smoke or White Rabbit would have some pork belly or ribs given their BBQ positioning, but I can't vouch for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

Went there a couple of months ago. Got some kind of lamb curry thing. The curry was just grey and tasted of salt. Grey salty wallpaper paste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Eel. I have never eaten it, but would like to try, as I like oily fish.

I know Wabisabi on Oliver Plunkett Street offers some eel dishes, but mainly sushi I think?

Does anyone know of any other restaurants in the city that offer eel? Hoping for something more substantial than a tiny slice of eel on rice, to get a real taste of what eel is like.

EDIT: Oh, I see that Reiwa on Paul Street do eel. This dish might be what I'm looking for:

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sounds awful... and didn't they win some takeaway award and on RTE? Such a shame then to offer disgusting inedible food 🤮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭omerin

Planning sign up on door of tung sing ballincollig to change property apartments

I wonder how that will work. Looking at the design of the building I have no idea how they'll convert it to apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had O'Reillys food truck at the weekend. They're quite expensive and the burger was nice but the chips were like drugs. They were so tasty, I'd have found a way to shovel through an extra kg of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I found that they're very overwhelmed so busy at peak times. Impossible to put more people working in there. (the one on the straight road).

They're opening a static fast food shop in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The food is very good there but I can find it hit and miss a bit. Still reckon Barties have the best chipper chips

• Advertisement

Do people really spend €12+ on a ham/cheese toastie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

The Hambo (cheese , ham and two other fillings like crispy shallots or pickles) is 10 euro.

if its good bread, proper ham, good cheese, delicious and hot, served well , then yes, absolutely I’d pay that for it. I have no problem valuing people’s time and effort needed to make a quality product. Plus all the time and effort it takes to meet safe food standards to serve to the public.

if it’s a sandwich my kids make, with sliced pan, easy single and a toastie bag, then of course that’s a different offering.

I think it’s pretty disrespectful to expect people to do work in the public food space for pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

pigalle again last night…divine meal. This place is just consistently good and I cannot fault a single thing there. The best in cork for sure for me.

Who said anything about the people working?

I wouldn't entertain a sliced pan in the house, nor my kids, quality meats, sauces and relishes in the house, so perhaps the novelty of real bread is a pulling point. I'm still entitled to think toasted sandwiches for that cost are over priced and over rated. I look for value in eating out. I'm entitled to my opinion without being branded disrespectful to the people who work in these establishments.

For a family of say 6, it's €70? Before the coffees and waters or whatever to drink. I couldn't afford it anyway and certainly not for toasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Their cheapest sandwich is €6.20

A ham and cheese toastie is €8

Yes, if you want lots of extras it gets pricey but why are you quoting "a ham/cheese toastie" at €12+?

A bit misleading, don't you think?

It was ham, cheese and two/three fillings I think which would be a decent tasty one.

Even €8 for a plain one is silly money tbh. And I usually wouldn't be in favour of an establishment that charge per filling, fillings like relishes, are bulk bought and usually long life.

Not misleading, but I think sone places have lost the run of themselves with prices and I'm entitled to my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think we're used to a sandwich being a handy thing you eat at lunchtime ,

We happily pay 12 / 15 quid for a good burger in a restaurant, but can get a regular McDonald's burger for 2 bucks or so ,

So yeah theres a ham sandwich in a packet from a garage or spar for 3 or 4 euros,and thats fine or theres getting something decent for 8 to 10 quid ( but it'd have to be decent)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A good sandwich/roll in O'Briens, Bishopstown is €6. Flour, Innishannon, Pickled in Macroom €8-€11. Having given my custom to many, I now make my own for about €3. I like the process of getting it ready in the morning. As much in the making as the eating. Like the men of old, cutting their plug tobacco for their pipe. It is the go to meal for lunchtime for so many.

Sano, the new pizza place is open on Parnell Place. It's very inexpensive compared to most. A margherita is only €8.90.

I had a marinara and thought it was good and only €6.90.

Looks like their plan is to compete on price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You said the sandwich was too expensive, and mention only ingredients... why do you disregard the people and everything else associated? Those are human beings working, this is their job, creating their business and making your sandwich. They have insurance, overheads, paying VAT , for facilities etc. Obviously you pay yourself zero for your time making your own sandwich, and your kitchen isn't inspected by the health authorites... surely you get you pay those people when you are "out", in the cost of the sandwich. The ingredients are only a small part of the cost.

"Looking for value"... This makes sense in huge industrialised contexts, like mcdonalds, it doesn't make any sense in tiny bespoke establishments. 8-10 euro for a premium product is in no way extortionate, probably even too low for what they are doing, so I'd guess they are hedging on savings or business loans. New businesses will start up taking risks working for below minimum wage themselves, hoping for volume to drive to more efficiency and lower costs. They lose the shirt off their backs for having a go if that gamble fails.

If you're taking 6 people out for lunch, I'd consider 60-70 euro to be an absolute bloody bargain, but mass produced grub is readily available if bespoke sandwiches are out of your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I was very intrigued for this place given the pricing. It is a chain, and has locations in Dublin also.

For comparison, a 12in pizza w/three toppings in Bocelli's across the road is €13.50 on their lunch menu. Their dinner menu ranges from €12.50 - €17.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

we have eaten a few times in Sano Dublin, its good pizza's at a great price - no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Looks like NuaAsador (Marina Market) is set to open its 2nd outlet - a takeaway on MacCurtain street

MacCurtain street is much improved by the permanent footpath, really way better walking along there now between the bars. Very nice food and drink all along there now.

We unfortunately had to pull a mugger off my friend, on the street down to the new bridge afterwards , so I recommend walking in groups, ideally with a couple of tall lads.

Great prices and pizza quality looks great on google map photos.

But jaysis, just read about them on the examiner.

The headline says "Sano rolls out slice of pizza action to Cork's emerging Italian quarter"

Cork has an Italian quarter now?

What a load of shyte!

What happened? And what time was this? Were they trying to grab a handbag or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Haha reminds me of Sligo's poor attempt at an Italian quarter

At least galway's latin quarter makes sense 😅

Advertisement